My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total newbie here. Was looking at a used cub, but my wife allowed for a new unit instead. So, on to Deere as family has had good luck and the reputation is stellar.

So, with budget and thoughts in hand, I've decided on a D140. I'm going to get the snow blower attach, maybe the front blade too. And the bagger. Basically, it will be used for light/medium duty residential mowing, moving stuff in the trailer (logs/rocks), and then leaf pickup in the fall. Until snow, then it will be used even more I'm sure. Upper Michigan.

My question revolves around a 4 year warranty extension. Actually it's 4 years total, so only 2 years. I'm sure I should be directed to a dealer, but I'm buying from Lowes. So, with that in mind, is the $250 warranty extension a good idea? Lowes service plan a waste? Any comments on my choice (is this the appropriate tractor?)?

Kind thought and patience from the wise community appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

Sorry I cannot directly answer your warranty question but it would seem like the thing to do depending on what is covered. Over the course of 4 years you will certainly work the bugs out of it. You may also find you want to upgrade or change your set up. A warranty may make the D140 easier to sell if needed. Kind of my 2 cents.

Good luck! I am sure someone in your shoes will be along shortly to give you a more direct answer.

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
Get the extended warranty, and if you can afford to- move up to a D160- it has a stronger transaxle.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
If you're a Veteran and can prove it, buy it this weekend and take the 10% off :trink39:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If you can afford the extended warranty and it gives you extra peace of mind then why not. Go for it :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Ok I Noticed you talking about Moving Logs and Rocks In a trailer Be advised the D140 has a Tuff-TorqT40J Transmission In it which was actually designed to Be Use in a Rear engine rider and Not a Lawn tractor. But It's One Place Deere Saves to keep the Cost down a quick Rule of thumb Do Not Tow More than the combined weight Of Yourself and the Tractor 491Lbs for Tractor and say You weigh 175Lbs so You shouldn't Tow more that 666Lbs and for the Front Blade if You get One It will be fine for moving snow and Loose Material such as Dirt, Gravel, sand and Mulch don't Go For Hard Compacted Materials But That said for Mowing It will be Fine and snow removal which Your Better off with a Blower for That anyways and as Other’s have said You May want to Move Up to a D160 Because It does have a K46 which Is from the same series of Transmission that is Used In the X300, X300R and X304 But again In the towing Department follow the same rules with a K46 Most Problems associated with Transmission Trouble On the T40J and K46 are do to towing to heavy of a Load

But as Far as Warranty goes I would say the extended warranty would Be worth It On the D100 series:thThumbsU

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate everyone's replies.

Veteran: yes, I'm planning to buy end of this week. That was a consideration.

Towing: appreciate the guidance. Not likely to overdo it. I tend to err to the conservative side. And I only get one back, so I prefer to keep it!

Anyone ever use Lowe's service contract? For 4 years they cover pretty much all except routine maint, even normal wear and tear. I'm going this direction, so just curious if anyone had used it and had to fight or it was no problem.

Thanks again to all. I'll be sure to post pics, because I know it doesn't exist until you can see it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Veterans always get 10% off at lowes and Home depot, year around.
They both have recently changed the policy. Ticked me off. Lowes is only giving discount if you served until retirement all year. I did 8 years so I only get 10% off for Mem Day, 4th July, and Veterans day.

Home Depot will likely follow suit.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
Veterans always get 10% off at lowes and Home depot, year around.
That actually depends on location. I know of several places around the country (both Lowe's and HD) that only do it on "patriotic" holidays, but here in San Antonio (known as Military City USA) they both do it year round - hence my suggestion of doing it this weekend just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Anyone ever use Lowe's service contract? For 4 years they cover pretty much all except routine maint, even normal wear and tear. I'm going this direction, so just curious if anyone had used it and had to fight or it was no problem.
I'm usually hesitant to buy extended warranties. Find out if you need a repair if you take it to the Lowes where you bought it...or do you have to call an 800 number in who knows where. Usually comapnies like Lowes sell the warranties for a thrid party firm so the number you're calling isn't Lowes. My experience is that third party extended warranties are not the same as a true manufacturer's warranty and that there is always a fine print detail that they use to get out of covering things. Also with the other box store my son in law bought a snowblower that was shredding the drive belt. It was only two months old and under warranty so he took it back to the store. They wouldn't take it because it had a little bit of fuel in the gas line. Told him to take it back home and purge the fuel lines before they could take it. He ended up correcting the pulley alignment himself even though it was under warranty to avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your planing on keeping it for a long time and feel like an expensive repair would really hurt down the road get it. If you feel okay with a larger repair just go the standard warranty.

I would get it. But read the fine print.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts