My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
As others have said, rod is not moving piston. Even if you can do the rebuild, parts prices make it unreasonable. I had a small Briggs 12S912 that needed some internal parts and they were $125. Not worth it when used engines are so cheap. Look on CL or FB for a LT/GT that has a bad deck, no deck, flat tires or blown transmission with a decent engine that may just need some carb work or a new carb. See them for $50-$150 quite often.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The crank turning is a good sign so is the oil without any metal in it when u drained it. Id pop it open still might get lucky and rod broke low enough it didnt do any damage before it died.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The crank turning is a good sign so is the oil without any metal in it when u drained it. Id pop it open still might get lucky and rod broke low enough it didnt do any damage before it died.
Ditto. First small engine I ever tore apart on my own, maybe 12 yrs old, had a broken connecting rod. Only two bolts typically hold it to the crank shaft.

·
Ford Man
74 Posts
Looks trashed. Ayup

Back in the 70's I pulled a 400 out of a GTO and mounted it to the engine stand. Drained oil and had small pieces coming out.

Then flipped it over to remove the pan, and it sounded like rocks raining down on tin.
It was completely thrashed. Cam, lifters, pushrods, parts of pistons, couple of rods, broken oil pump...........all in the bottom end.
Had to get a complete block assembly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts