My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Cleaned up the foot pan (whatever the right name is. Eventually I'd still like to strip it and repaint it, but I'm at the point in my life where I just want it back together and out of my way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Looking at the PTO solenoid instructions, it's stupid. It says the large land needs to face away from the PTO cover, and that the small end goes in the cover first. Then in the illustration, they show the large end facing the PTO cover.

·
Super Moderator
29,013 Posts
Looking at the PTO solenoid instructions, it's stupid. It says the large land needs to face away from the PTO cover, and that the small end goes in the cover first. Then in the illustration, they show the large end facing the PTO cover.
You can bet the guy who wrote the directions never talked to the guy doing the install! Wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen something like this.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Found good troubleshooting on the PTO solenoid. He mentions the same thing, and, in his parts layout, shows the small side facing in, so I will go that way. Ugh.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Starting to look like a tractor again, almost.
Didn't get a lot done today. Got more cleaning up of little parts done. Made a parts run to the JD store. 4 items will be here in 2 days.
Had to pull apart the PTO solenoid and get that cleaned up and transferred. Then the **** brittle plastic nut cracked, so I have to order that.

Floor pan is on.
Fuel tank and fuel lines cleaned up and on.

New transaxle cover.
New Ruegg Combo Cat 0/1 3-point hitch is mostly on.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have some painting I need to do on the frame, specifically the battery tray area. I guess the battery rubbing around wore the paint off and caused surface rust? Not the end of the world, it's like 1/4" steel or something, but, I still want to address it. Problem is the weather has been crap all weekend, so I can't do any painting. I got the small $30 kit of POR-15, that should handle it. I'm thinking maybe some sort of dimpled rubber mat under the battery to keep it from rubbing against the metal, yet still allowing water to channel out.

The rest of the front frame I will just rough up and hit with some JD black rattle can I have.

The insides of the front wheels are garbage for some reason. I'll strip these down and hit them with a can of JD yellow as well (and repaint the rears to match). But, for now, I'll just leave them be.

The engine got a thorough cleaning today, and I hit the front area a few times with some CarPro IRON-X. Great stuff.

Sadly, it's gonna be another 3 weeks before I get much of anything done on it. Maybe two. I'll be working this coming week 30Mar-3 Apr, and staying near work. Following week I made the promise to my wife to start getting the house painted inside while I am off. Then back to work another week, then home again. Might be able to do a little bit after I'm done house painting for the day.

Anyways, at least it's progress.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Today was finally a nice day, so I was able to drag the tractor out and do some painting. Problem is the top of my hill is like a freakin' wind tunnel.

Painting in the garage is out of the question -- overspray on everything -- no thanks. Wife asked why I don't just build a paint booth in there. LOL...some day, some day.

I do have a 12x12 EZ-up tent though w/ walls, so I decided to give that a shot. In theory it sounds great until the @#$% wind starts blowing.

I put some nails through the corners into the driveway to keep it from blowing sideways, and that seemed to help. I wouldn't trust it to weather a thunderstorm though.

Bit of roughening up of the existing paint, and taking any of the surface-rust spots down to bare metal.

Cleaned up the exhaust "good enough" (hopefully) to paint it where it will exit the side panel.

Primed. Factory paint is weird. You can see it on the bottom hook areas how there's like a split in it.

Wet sanded the primer with 400 grit then it it up with the John Deere Medium Gloss Black.

Of course. A bug lands smack in the middle of the front of it after I get the final coat on.

Good enough -- I'll hit the area under the battery tray with POR-15 on the next decent day we get. Kinda...really makes me wish the rest of the black looked this good. Better pic in the daylight tomorrow.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Today was finally a nice day, so I was able to drag the tractor out and do some painting. Problem is the top of my hill is like a freakin' wind tunnel.

Painting in the garage is out of the question -- overspray on everything -- no thanks. Wife asked why I don't just build a paint booth in there. LOL...some day, some day.

I do have a 12x12 EZ-up tent though w/ walls, so I decided to give that a shot. In theory it sounds great until the @#$% wind starts blowing.

I put some nails through the corners into the driveway to keep it from blowing sideways, and that seemed to help. I wouldn't trust it to weather a thunderstorm though.

View attachment 2451515

View attachment 2451516

Bit of roughening up of the existing paint, and taking any of the surface-rust spots down to bare metal.
View attachment 2451517

Cleaned up the exhaust "good enough" (hopefully) to paint it where it will exit the side panel.
View attachment 2451518

View attachment 2451519

Primed. Factory paint is weird. You can see it on the bottom hook areas how there's like a split in it.
View attachment 2451520

Wet sanded the primer with 400 grit then it it up with the John Deere Medium Gloss Black.
View attachment 2451521

Of course. A bug lands smack in the middle of the front of it after I get the final coat on.
View attachment 2451522

Good enough -- I'll hit the area under the battery tray with POR-15 on the next decent day we get. Kinda...really makes me wish the rest of the black looked this good. Better pic in the daylight tomorrow.
View attachment 2451523

i really like the paint booth. I'm in the same situation, and my garage floor is now a nice mix of a tint between yellow and green.

Lookin good!

·
Super Moderator
29,013 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Nice little work hut. Be a shame if a bit storm came through and messed my world up. Eh, it's attached to the driveway...it should be OK!

Yeah. About that. Crappy way to start the day.

Well, there goes any plans of panel painting. Probably for the better. It would be too time consuming anyways. Kinda ugly. Maybe another time when I have less other home projects to do.

Got a nice tool here.

Even after hitting it like 4 times with the 3D Speed, this is the best I could get, Pretty sure I need something a bit more aggressive. Didn't bother with the Jescar yet. Still a good ways better than it was.

Wind was kicking my butt today. Got the exhaust painted too though.

Nice little bend-in on the headlight bracket that I'll need to straighten out tomorrow. No paint on this, just wiped it down with WD-40 for now. Any suggests for a longer-lasting product on dull/faded black paint?

Seat sliders -- These are a bit rough. Not sure if they come apart, didn't look too closely at them. Greased them up for the time being, and I'll mess with them another time. They are not hard to get off. Paint is flaking off like crazy.

Awesome, well these things appear to have shrunk while they were off the tractor. Hopefully a heat gun will let me stretch them back out so I can put the new plugs in to hold them in place. Who has dealt with this?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
POR-15 on the battery tray; JD Medium Gloss Black on the rest of the front frame area.

Starting to resemble a tractor again...that front right tire isn't holding air for crap. Not sure if I can slime it and do washer fluid at the same time or not. I need to get them blasted and repainted anyways (see pic above, inside wheels are crap).

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Try and drown that right front tire, and see if you can find where it's leaking from. Tire slime doesn't work very well on bead leaks on tractors. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Awesome, well these things appear to have shrunk while they were off the tractor. Hopefully a heat gun will let me stretch them back out so I can put the new plugs in to hold them in place. Who has dealt with this?
View attachment 2451774
Common problem, they will stretch back out with no problem. Was 70 degrees out when I reinstalled mine, I didn't use a heat gun and had no problems. If it is colder out and you cant get them to stretch out the heat gun might help. Start at the rear and slowly work forward.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I'll check that stuff out! I meant more for rubbing on metal though, like the frame etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Pulled the air cleaner apart today to clean it out and replace it before re-assembly. Some clown left a donut gasket out of this joint here (red circle). Also, the large o-ring that seals the two halves of the filter housing is destroyed (green circle). Have to hit up local JD tomorrow. I do have the oil/air filter maintenance kit. Unfortunately does not include part # 5 below.

After this pic, I took some 320 and 400 to lightly sand the crap off these handles.
What's your favorite "black" for plastic, and also for rubber hoses?

In the process of swapping this out.

I wish there were an easy way to get the crap out from behind the radiator.

Battery in w/ new hold-down/bolts/nuts.
New battery cable bolts/nuts.
Headlights in.
Halogen conversion installed.
Headlights do not turn on though with key in "run" position. Is headlight switch just an on/off switch? I'll have to test it.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts