My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
A couple of things come to mind here. First off, kudos for having the kiddos help out! Always fun to have them be a part of it. And they did a great job! That machine looks amazing after the power washing! Makes me want to do that to my tractors! Wow!

I agree with you about getting your bits and pieces into bags (or other such storage vessels) to keep them together. I'm terrible about this and always end up regretting it. Always. :(
That is a shame what the PO did to the trans casing with the epoxy - but then again, they probably did what they had to do (or what they could afford to do) to get it running again. I'm sure that replacing that casing will not be cheap. Nothing is these days.

And finally, speaking of that rear end - WHOA!!! What the heck happened to the rear ends between the 420/430 models and the 455?! That thing is a monster! I thought the powertrains on my 420/430s were pretty substantial but wow! This is the first I've ever noticed what a 455 is packin! When I saw that photo, I zoomed it in all the way to full size (thanks for that by the way) and, I'm not gonna lie, I heard that little voice we all have in our heads do a Tim Allen grunt. :tango_face_devil:

I am very anxious to follow along on this "mild" resto of yours Dave. It already has me hooked. Keep the updates coming and thanks for all the eye candy! You know how we all like pictures around here!
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am pretty confident this is the source of the leak. It almost looks as if they smacked something and tried to epoxy a leak shut. I'll know more when I can get the cover off. I want to dig into the transaxle the least amount as possible.
I can't be sure rom the perspective of the photo, but it appears the epoxy/JB Weld is smeared over the rear PTO case. The rear PTO I don't believe was ever a factory installed option, but dealer or customer installation. I've installed several. You have to pry the top of the rear PTO case over to left with a bar to align the bolts holes & dowel pins and hold it there until the case is seated over the dowel pins. If the installer fails to do this and attempts to draw the case down with the attaching bolts, you'll crack the case. (See the rear PTO installation instructions within the link I PM'd you.)

I'm wondering if this is what happened to yours?

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Subscribed! These are my favorite threads!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for the lack of any updates! I was out of town for a couple days and now have family coming in town. Hoping this weekend to get out there and get some more done, as well as sit down and hit some individual replies back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
AMT1274 Filler Cap 1 DIESEL (RED) (VENTED) (NORTH AMERICA)
AM116170 Filler Cap 1 DIESEL (RED) (NON-VENTED) (EXPORT)
AM122097 Filler Cap 1 DIESEL (RED) (VENTED) (EXPORT)

Is AMT1274 the correct cap? It's what mine looks like. Didn't see it listed through GreenDealer website, but do see AM122097 listed. I see AMT1274 listed on other sites though so it's easy to get.

I have a running spreadsheet of little parts and pieces I need to get. If there's a better source than GreenDealer, let me know so I can check them out. Thank you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sorry for the lack of any updates! I was out of town for a couple days and now have family coming in town. Hoping this weekend to get out there and get some more done, as well as sit down and hit some individual replies back.
What happened to your mechanics? I figured they would want to surprise Dad and have it all done before you returned. Maybe they'll be like me when I was young. If you're lucky, they won't be. One of my father's favorite stories to tell is when I came in, while he was getting ready to leave for work, and proudly exclaimed I had the car all filled up. He just dismissed it, thinking I was playing pretend. Until he got one block from the house and the car died. I wasn't pretending. I had filled'er up with the garden hose. He said it was too darn funny to spank me over it. I was about four at the time.

I've been utilizing Green Farm Parts. Prices are a little bitter than most, free shipping on orders over $75, and no sales tax for interstate shipments. They're super to work with---even on warranty issues. They offer most tractor forum members additional discounts, but it didn't work when I entered "MTF" (could be something different) in the coupon code box. Enter "GTT" (from the Green Tractor Talk forum) and you'll receive an additional 8.0% discount.

John Deere Parts Online from Green Farm Parts: Free Shipping

The AMT1274 is the correct fuel cap for your tractor. I couldn't say on the side panel retainers, I've never had to replace them.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,694 Posts
What happened to your mechanics? I figured they would want to surprise Dad and have it all done before you returned. Maybe they'll be like me when I was young. If you're lucky, they won't be. One of my father's favorite stories to tell is when I came in, while he was getting ready to leave for work, and proudly exclaimed I had the car all filled up. He just dismissed it, thinking I was playing pretend. Until he got one block from the house and the car died. I wasn't pretending. I had filled'er up with the garden hose. He said it was too darn funny to spank me over it. I was about four at the time.

I've been utilizing Green Farm Parts. Prices are a little bitter than most, free shipping on orders over $75, and no sales tax for interstate shipments. They're super to work with---even on warranty issues. They offer most tractor forum members additional discounts, but it didn't work when I entered "MTF" (could be something different) in the coupon code box. Enter "GTT" (from the Green Tractor Talk forum) and you'll receive an additional 8.0% discount.

John Deere Parts Online from Green Farm Parts: Free Shipping

The AMT1274 is the correct fuel cap for your tractor. I couldn't say on the side panel retainers, I've never had to replace them.

:thThumbsU:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I second greenfarmparts.com They take a considerable amount of my money...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ugh so this has been sitting in my garage for 2.5 years. I need to get it back together.

The rear pan is pretty bad underneath. I'm hoping I can reinforce it somehow, strip it, and repaint it. It has also been partly repainted after the previous repair that someone did.

The front footrest area has some bubbling, so I want to strip that as well and just repaint it.

20191123_210439_1574623851979.jpg

20191123_205913_1574623865696.jpg

20191123_223339_1574623890904.jpg

20191123_223350_1574623903472.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,983 Posts
Dave did you have a 2nd seatpan or did that project just get put off for 2.5 years? You helpers should be a little bigger now and able to "help" a little more. Will be good to see you finish the partial restoration. Did you find out if that epoxied area was where the leak was on that K92 transmission?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Haha, the tractor got put off to the side for a couple of years. Oops. We ended up hiring a guy to come cut once a week, and the 3+ hrs we saved it used to take us to mow was so worth it! I enjoy getting out there mowing, but, I really value free time as well.

I picked up a 47" snowthrower, so I really want to get this thing back up and working, and that snowthrower going too!

This pan is the only pan I have, the one that was on the tractor. I hope it's not too far gone. I'll need to read up on reinforcing it and seeing what people do.

I haven't gotten very far on that rear. Need to start digging into it and see what's up.

20191124_164024.jpg

20191124_200925.jpg

20191124_200945.jpg

20191124_201001.jpg

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
cool!

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Whoa.. it's been a while! I hope to see it finished now

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah...you're telling me!

The back covers on the rear diff, do those easily unbolt? Or are there crazy springs, balls, and linkages that will pop around and fall out when I unbolt it?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm stuck at this point. I need to take this whole big cover off but I'm not sure how to get the gears off, or even which ones are supposed to come out. I'm trying to look at the directions and follow them backwards, but it's not really matching up. The instructions don't really show this part of the install.

I removed the clip on the bottom gear shaft. I also see a clip on the top shaft but I'm not sure if that is supposed to come out or not.

Looking at it, it looks like the instructions skipped right over a big part.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I feel like that snap ring needs to come out, but I don't know. With that top gear gone, I can get the rest out. I don't see any mention of it in the instructions though.

I'm also not sure what items need to come out of the housing and what can stay in it.

Update: neither snap ring needs to come out haha. Oh well, at least I only took the little one out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,983 Posts
Well you're definitely in it now!! Keep at it, make good photo records of the disassembly and bag all the parts so they are easy to find to put back on.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Subscribing, I understand how these things happen!

CCMoe

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
OK I got it off easy enough. Tired. Midnight EST, gotta get up in 4 hours. I'll update tomorrow -- but we are at a good spot for now.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts