My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I need some help. I have a 445 that I purchased as a restore project last year. Like a lot of us here we never have enough time to finish. The 445 is far from done but on the way home from work I found another tractor that had caught fire. This 425 or 445 tractor is melted from the radiator forward. The son was selling this for his dad and cannot provide any information on this tractor. I rolled the dice and grabbed it anyway.
After tearing off all the melted plastic I believe it is a 425. Since the SN on the side was burned I am now stuck as to how do I confirm the S/N , Model or Date it was made.
Here are my real questions:
1. Are the engines interchangeable from the 445 to the 425?
2. What do I have to do to make the my 445 engine work in the 425?
3. Should I be worried switching the engines?
4. Am I missing anything or is it as easy as switching them out.
Any help from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ed,

An easy way to tell a 425 from a 445 is the carburetor. No carb = 445. there are other differences, but depending on the fire damage, it could be hard to tell from looking at the engine compartment. If the burned tractor is in fair shape in the rear, take the seat pan off and examine the fuel tank. the 445 will have a return fuel line to the tank. The fuel supply line will be a high pressure style; not the common soft rubber lines found on the majority of garden tractors.

To answer your questions as you have them listed:

1. Are the engines interchangeable from the 445 to the 425?
The engine short blocks are virtually the same. The 425 was carbureted and the 445 had fuel injection.

2. What do I have to do to make the my 445 engine work in the 425?
Swap over the engine, fuel injection module, fuel tank with pump, all fuel lines (including the return line) and the complete wiring harness.

3. Should I be worried switching the engines?
That depends on the health of the engine in your original 445. Your call.

4. Am I missing anything or is it as easy as switching them out.
Many of the components of the 4X5 tractors are shared. For example; the instrument cluster is the same part number between all three models. It is important to swap the wiring harness, if you want fuel injection.

An easier route may be to swap the carburetor and intake from the 425 engine to the 445. You may want to look into a carburetor rebuild and possibly a new fuel shut-off solenoid.

It is difficult to date tractors without the ID sticker. You can come close by pouring over diagrams and drawings to find the nuances between model years.
JDParts is your friend! Sign up and search the parts catalog

BTW, you can download the technical manual for the 4X5 tractors here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=142324

I hope this helps.
Bill

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Spanky look under the bottom of the seat pan if it is still the original seat it should have a date stamped in yellow letters and the 425 had the lower seat back also if the grille survived the fire the older ones up to about 95-96 had a green tape stripe on the lower grille. As for engine differences the 445 had higher compression pistons for the fuel injection and I dont know how the FI engine would run with the carb or the carb engine with the FI and the FI engines had sensors that the carb engine did not. Hope this helps. BILL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts