My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hydro lever that moves tractor forward or reverse does not go all the way up and thus does not allow the tractor to go full speed ahead. All looks ok thru side panel, absorber etc. Any suggestions?

Sent from Jason Boling

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I suggest pulling the rear fender/ foot well. This will allow you to see all the linkage, I suspect in there you will see what isn't working properly. If that doesn't show you the problem then look near the absorber as there are a lot of linkage there that have to be just right or no go.

Good luck, I just went through mine and redid the linkage and now it preforms like a well oiled machine.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
yea there is a TON of stuff in the linkage. im in the process of rebuilding my 318 linkage.

i'd crawl under it an look see if there is debris jamming up the mechanism. you will see a rod with a turnbuckle that is the motion control rod. follow it and make sure its not being blocked.

has it worked correctly in the past? is this a new development?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just bought it today. Couple more questions...is it typical to puff a little blue smoke after new rings? Cylinder walls were honed too. I figured that would be normal. Cylinder compression was right at 120 and 121 on both.

When braking and turning with the right brake it bogs down and does not want to go forward. I think it is something tied to a link the causes the hydro to go to neutral when brakes applied. Before I start digging into it, I want to be prepared to address all my items at once.

Thanks. You all are great!!!

Sent from Jason Boling

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
brakes applied move to neutral is normal. blue puff, how ling ago were the rings put in? until they seat it can smoke. were the valve seals replaces as well?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you don't mind me asking. How do you know all this info on a tractor you just bought? Is it creditable info?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Basically the way I see it is, you really need to take a good look at the linkage. You want to be looking for ANY wear. Then you need to replace worn parts.
I just did the linkage on my 420 and it now drives like a new tractor.Amazing how much different it is with tight linkage. The blue smoke scares me.these older tractors have "tight" tolerances and need to be kept "in speck" so to speak.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
did you do the work or are you working on the word of who you bought from?

·
Super Moderator
14,127 Posts
did you do the work or are you working on the word of who you bought from?
:ditto: how much run time does the engine have?

·
Three of my friends
9,573 Posts
If the dosent go forward ,the brake pedal might be sticking,try to pull the brake pedal back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a guy that is pretty honest and reputable. I saw the compression test as I requested it. He's a pretty sharp car and has worked on several other units I have had. I told him on something like adjustments (which I am hoping is what I am dealing with) I could handle. The other internal stuff I try not to mess with.

Sent from Jason Boling

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It accelerates fine, the lever just does not go all the way up and thus does not go full speed . I can push it but I am scared if I push it too hard it'll break something. It slides smoothly to about 3/4 up then gets hard

Sent from Jason Boling

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you need to do a visual inspection of the linkage, tractor is older and things wear.

·
Three of my friends
9,573 Posts
I had one that did that ,the brake pedal would not come all the way back when you pressed it.!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.