My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few I've used and some I've heard about. On the orchards when we planted new trees, we would buy hotel type soap (small & very smelly) a bunch of wire hooks like used on christmas tree ornaments and hang a bar in each tree. I've heard also that milk mixed with water, then sprayed around works fairly well. Likely would have to be retreated after a rain. My friend has a western bobcat (bubby) and spreads his scat around his garden. What do you all use?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
What do you all use?
Six foot high fence and a GSD *****. People say deer will jump a six foot fence but they don't jump mine. I have raised beds and lots of stakes sticking up all over and I think the deer are unsure about jumping into that.

We bought some nylon netting to wrap around shrubs. Apparently the deer don't like the nylon in their mouth and get discouraged after the first bite.

We tried Deer Off but the stuff is expensive and you have to remember to reapply it as it wears off.

We thought about getting a ScareCrow but our shrubs and beds are spread too far and wide without a ready supply of water.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
Some people claim success spreading human hair around perimeter. Our son tried it and it was working last I heard.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've had some luck with fishing line,for some reason they can't see it and when they hit it,scares'em.BUT,my best luck is an elect.fence,not a puppy type,one that'll charge bout 25mi.of fence.Then take some peanut butter in your hand and run the top wire.You can launce them boys like roman candles.:sidelaugh I had one so strong,you didn't have to weed-eat under it,it just burnt the grass as it hits.And don't think for a second they can't jump 6ft.****,after a hit on the ole tonuge,you'll think your watching a fireworks show.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My wife wants me to put up an electric fence. I'd need 2000 feet of fence to go around the yard. Problem is the deer would just walk down the driveway unless I put up some sort of gate.

How high do you put the top wire and why wouldn't they jump over it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
When we purchased this house in Kerrville the backyard fence was a bit of an issue for me. It is the old double arch crimped wire fencing that was so popular in the 50's, and still in very good shape. I liked that part. But the previous owner had lashed tall T-posts to each post and extended the height of the fence with galvanized welded wire fencing to 7 feet tall. I still intend to do something that is less of an eye sore there but even with a heard of about 40 deer just over the back fence I have never had one get into the back yard unless I left the gate open. And then when I did surprise a couple of deer in the back yard they made several failed attempts to jump over the fence to get away, essentially bouncing off the fence repeatedly until they reached the gate. I would have thought that deer wold be smart enough to remember where the gate is, but apparently not. Anyway, a 7 foot fence has proven to be tall enough to keep the deer out of my wife's vegetable garden, even though they gather at the fence, mouth watering, as they watch her work with the plants. I have watched as they stand on their hind legs and jump, as if checking to see if maybe they can jump high enough. I've also seen them bounce off the fence as they try to jump over and into the garden. They actually gather at the back fence and watch me when I eat breakfast on the patio. I think they enjoy watching people as much as we enjoy watching them. Our fence may be ugly, but it works very well.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Irish spring soap hung by a string, works for us.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
Coyotes!... :)

...one tried eating a fawn near me the other day,it made the front page..a guy saved it and is nursing it back to good health..but no vets will touch it..

·
New Idaho retiree
288 Posts
Larwyn, I have a question. Do the deer watch you during hunting season? Most deer seem to know how to read a calendar. We don't see them up close much during deer season.

·
Senior Junkmonkey
278 Posts
I did deodorant soap it works but deer get use to it so you have to change it up. We have done hair clips too. Most people laugh or go Ewwwwwwww!!! I did the "I pee freely" all over the place to the point I had milk jugs ready. Hey it was free, but like everything change it up.

I know of a gardener up here that sprays their plants with a mixture of cayenne pepper and other peppers. It works so well he has no fence, but has to spray after every rainfall.

Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Larwyn, I have a question. Do the deer watch you during hunting season? Most deer seem to know how to read a calendar. We don't see them up close much during deer season.
Yes, but I am inside the city limits so the deer population actually seems to increase during hunting season. I think al the resident deer's distant cousins come to town to sit out the hunting season....:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Senior Junkmonkey
278 Posts
Yes, but I am inside the city limits so the deer population actually seems to increase during hunting season. I think al the resident deer's distant cousins come to town to sit out the hunting season....:sidelaugh :sidelaugh
Yup! We had so many deer in town that the local and state gave out special permits to bow hunt in town.

Dan

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
They make tazers with a deer attractant that you can place in your garden. Supposedly they get zapped on the nose and learn to stay away. I don't know if I'd want to attract them and have them munch on my stuff as they make their way to the big shocker.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
I've noticed deer sem to know when its hunting season too,I guess they CAN read!..and use a tape measure too--here,it's illegal to discharge a fireaerm within 500 ft. of a dwelling,and my woods behind my house,up to 501 ft away,is usually loaded with deer during deer season!..

One neighbor 2 houses away,got one big buck with a bow a few years ago--the two women living next door witnessed the kill,were appalled,and called the cops,who in turn called a game warden--he got in big trouble I heard!...no hunting licence,bow permit,and it's just as illegas as a gun if your not 500 ft away from a dwelling I was told..he refused to say what the fine was,but did say "I aint gonna try that again"!..
I guess the women would rather have the deer eat their shrubs and flowers,and run into their brand new vehicles some dark night,and run them over or have them end up in their laps,instead of being killed mercifully and eaten..

·
Senior Junkmonkey
278 Posts
The number 1 most dangerous animal in the US is the deer. It gets this for hitting cars and most fatalities for any wild animal.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
i control them with my .308.....then my freezer keeps them form gettin' away...but thats how we do things around here...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts