My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forget the name of the grass, but a long time ago I was told about a grass that roots in deep. It sounded good to me because the last thing I want to do is run sprinklers to keep the lawn looking good (the deep roots apparently drink from a depth where the soil is always moist enough even during droughts). Also it was described to me that the grass's roots deter burrowing animals from tunneling the lawn apart because they can't get below into the soft obstruction free soil like typical shallow rooted residential lawns. This mystery grass was described that if I skid a log across the grass and dug a trench that I can rake the spoils back into the wound and the grass would obviously still be rooted and eventually surface and look normal over the next week or two making it a pretty maintenance free ground cover. Anyone familiar with what im describing? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want a grass like this on my property?

·
Administrator
16,764 Posts
Ironpile,
Try the with Cornell Coop Extension. I think there is one in each NY county. They will also be able to advise what it is, if there is an alternative, and whether or not it is an invasive specie. You want to make sure that you stay away from them. Once established, they spread and are difficult to control.
The Giant Hogweed is an example. Thought to be a lovely large plant for like a corner of the yard, it has turned out to be extremely toxic, its sap severely burning your skin. making the most severe case of poison ivy look like a mild sunburn. It is so bad that DEC has a Hogweed hotline if you spot it.
I'm not saying the grass you are looking for is invasive, but a lot of things that happen to solve a problem actually created a greater hazard/problem. Hope you find that what you say is true and that it is a beneficial plant.
Here is a link if you are interested. NYIS
Good luck,
MikeC

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks newsman I'll check out the "cornell coop extension". I definitely don't want to have something poisonous or too invasive. I wish I remembered more details of the conversation I had with the guy, but I know he said seeds are commercially available, just that the target audience isn't residential home owners.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Alfalfa is a grass that roots in deep, but a typical home owner would not seek it out.
Alfalfa thrives if it's allowed to grow tall, it does not do as well if kept short, so would probably be a poor choice for lawn use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts