My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty much finished with my Jacobsen Chief. Its been a challenging refinish to say the least. One last problem I need help with though. I need a couple mower deck wheels! Its the cast aluminum 42in 3blade deck. The wheels are 6inx 1.75in with a 5/8in bore. I can find bigger wheels with the right bore, & the right size wheels with a 1/2in bore, but not the right one! Anyone have a source where I could possibly buy 2? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
CK

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
dang can you post a pic of what they look like, i cant find any with a little bit of searching, if i had pics i could see at the bone yard

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go...
jake 3.jpg

Mine were a real bugger to get off. One was shot before that, I ruined one trying to remove it, so now I need both. :banghead3

Thanks,
CK

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hard rubber. all thats required is that they be 6 inches in diameter, 1.5 or 1.75 in in width & have a 5/8in bore/bearing surface...

·
aardvark161
65 Posts
ckill1 thats a nice tractor m8, just in the process of doing my deck, fortunatly my wheels came off quiet easily, good luck with the search...wish i had those top pulley covers, they are missing on mine

·
Plain Old MTF Member
216 Posts
Great job ckill1. I am looking to replace my entire 42" deck. It had a spindle completely broken off from the unit and had a nasty aluminum weld job done on it. I will be going on vacation around the Sept. 1st. Depending on which Great Lakes port I depart the vessel, I may stop at my other place in Michigan and pick some stuff up. I will let you know if I can get those wheels and the pulley covers for you Aardvark.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you gentlemen! My Jake is a bit of a "frankentractor" Not sure what is original & what isnt. The tag on frame indicates its supposed to be a Chief 800, but the Kohler in it is a 10hp. Not sure what the hole in the hood indicates, but I havent seen them on 800s, I dont think. It starts right up & everything works, but the deck is noisy as ****. Figured I must have a bad spindle there somewhere. I had a hard time matching paint, so everything is Chevy Orange!

Thanks again,
CK

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
The filler hole thru hood show it might be 1969. If the cast aluminum grill surround is original, then it is not an 800 (8HP). The 800 had the starter/gen flipped and and contained in the grill shell. The 1000 and larger had a cut out on right side of grill shell to allow the starter sheave to ride outboard of shell requiring the Kohler belt guard. in other words the 800 grill shell has no cut out on right side and 1000 & 1200 models do, they are not interchangeable. I have 2 800's and I THINK...I THINK they didn't bother to weld the extra angle on the left side of frame to allow the larger Kohlers to bolt to. Meaning, if it was an 800...you wouldn't be able to bolt on a 10 or 12 horse Kohler. That is going off memory and may only be on the cast foot rest era models.

Your machine looks mitee fine to me!:fing32: :trink39:

·
MTF Member
156 Posts
Im pretty much finished with my Jacobsen Chief. Its been a challenging refinish to say the least. One last problem I need help with though. I need a couple mower deck wheels! Its the cast aluminum 42in 3blade deck. The wheels are 6inx 1.75in with a 5/8in bore. I can find bigger wheels with the right bore, & the right size wheels with a 1/2in bore, but not the right one! Anyone have a source where I could possibly buy 2? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
CK
That's a very nice looking restore.

Here's what I did for my deck wheels. Like you I couldn't find exact replacements for my wheels so I picked up a set of 6" x 1/2" bore wheels from Lowes. They are a steel center with hard rubber tread. I then used 1/2" bolts long enough to protrude through the whole wheel mount casting. I drilled a hole near the end of the bolt to accept a hitch pin clip. I was concerned about the difference from 5/8" original to the 1/2" bolt but it works quite well and it is still completely adjustable. It actually locks in with the spring catch but the clip in the end is added piece of mind. I had problems with the original wheels working their way loose and actually falling out....not any more.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts