My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to scrape the bottom of your mower decks?
I've tried using a flat pry bar / nail puller and a heavy duty Snap-on 1 1/2" gasket scraper and then pressure washing but would like to find something that does not gouge the deck every time I try and scrape it relatively clean. It does not need to clean perfectly down to the paint but just most of it.
I don't remove the deck but can lift it more than high enough on my chain fall hoist and put it on 2 ft high jack stands at the front for scraping and then the loader picks up the front outside to pressure wash it. If you ever had the extreme pleasure of removing the 60" mulching deck on a JD 430 you will get why I don't take it off or on but spring and fall.
I just don't care for the damage caused by the scraping.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Say what? What about the damage done while mowing? There's not any paint left on the underside of my deck and repainting it is an exercise in futility.

What I use to scrape depends on whether it is still fresh and wet or dried and baked on. If fresh/wet, I use a thin hardwood stick sharpened like a gouging chisel. If dried/baked, I use a machete. Last time, I got lazy and used the pressure washer.

I read that bamboo works well and holds an edge. Might have to scrounge up a piece.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
One of these. Can reach easier without going under. my deck always just has a few spots where it kind of builds up I don't have to scrape the whole deck so this works fine.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,337 Posts
What is this thing called paint on the bottom of a deck? I am not familiar with it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is this thing called paint on the bottom of a deck? I am not familiar with it.
That there is funny!

Mine apparently must be very similar to yours and are nearly all brown with some other material that is kinda' yellowish with the exception of where I have gouged it with a cleaning tool.
But I have heard and even seen some posts where guys actually have a full covering of what I would determine as "temporary getting away from the wife disease" coating.
If the paint on the decks lasted 1/4 as long as the paint on the tractors or even a little longer than the seats then I would be happy.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
A quality under deck paint was designed and perfected by Sasquatch. Unfortunately, neither one has been heard from in decades.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I've used an old snow scraper/brush to scrape dried up grass off the deck..
A plastic spatula might be good too,it wont gouge up the paint as bad as a metal tool..

Most of the times I've removed the mower deck to clean and or grease the spindles,the grass is so caked and dry it can be peeled off pretty easily..
I only mow when the grass is bone dry and lots of dusty areas in my yard probably sandblast most of the clippings off before they get a chance to cling and stick on good..
I have "painted" the underside of the deck with used motor oil,it does seem to delay rusting pretty well..

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
What does everyone use to scrape the bottom of your mower decks?

If you ever had the extreme pleasure of removing the 60" mulching deck on a JD 430 you will get why I don't take it off or on but spring and fall.
I understand about removing that heavy deck. Mine is only a 42" so I remove it every 4th mowing to grease all the zerks, swap out blades then scrape underside with a plastic scrapper. At the end of every mowing season or just prior to start of new season I will use a metal paint scrapper & wire brush to remove any loose paint/debris then prep, prime & paint underside.

·
Father Deerest
2,957 Posts
As said I use a 1 1/2" plastic scraper, when it dulls or won't slip under the harder stuff grind the cutting edge on rough concrete and put a sharp edge on again and again til it wears out, then buy another $2 one in the paint section of any hardware store.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.