My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Will the posts on this thread never end?
Earlier this week all the full pieces of unused TimberTech went back to the supplier where we debated who over estimated vs who over delivered. I got some of the cost refunded, and some was extra material they delivered without order. Several of my spans were just over 12' in length, and to avoid running joints, I ordered 16' pieces for them. On delivery day the supplier had no 12' pieces, so delivered 16's. Fine for me, even better they charged me for the 12' per order. That left me with several cut-offs just under 4' long.

Today might actually mark the final final effort on the project. The snow has thawed, the ground re-frozen, and I finally got around to hauling the cut-offs to my supply depot where they await inspiration. I have 22 cut-offs of the 5/4x6x42" in the Tiger Wood color. And a half a dozen longer pieces with various mitered cuts on one end or the other just waiting for that inspiration. FWIW, they are almost the perfect length to fit my JD 15S cart. I have a couple ideas, but nothing burning my interest yet. So, any of you folks ever came up with an awesome idea for a mini-deck, or other use of my reserves?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
And Another: Unplanned expense for the deck build

Just got my greetings from PECO, my electric supplier for the month of January. Even though the temperatures were slightly above average, my bill was noticeably higher.

I guess a 1500 watt electric heater in my enclosed sun room that ran most days to maintain a modicum of warmth for glues, caulks, other tools, gloves, and a place to sit and take a coffee break without having to remove boots. Plus a bank of battery chargers for various drills, drivers, and an 8" circular saw. A compressor for cleaning ice from grooves and driving an occasional nail. A small platoon of miter saws making certainly hundreds of cuts really all did add up.

None of this was a surprise, but it was not calculated on my cardboard plan when developing my cost model. I guess all but the heater would have happened in any season. And Scout appreciated the relative warmth during our breaks.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
A couple months ago I shared a picture of my test piece of raw cut edge of the engineered material, and swore I'd get out on the deck and apply the winning stain/oil/sealant to the four end cut boards that did not have a return covering them. Well, Scout and I are in Governor edict lock-down now, and the weather was nice this morning, so I executed this 4 minute job to apply some Teak Oil to the four end cuts:

Really cleans up the look of this stair end for both the folks in all the world who would ever notice. Only one of them is even authorized to visit now.

And, way back when someone asked what I was going to do next, I think I mentioned my wife had tagged a bedroom for one of the kids who moved out over 10 years ago for wallpaper removal and repaint. And, now that job is finished:

Finished that over the weekend, and just completed reinstalling all the face plates, thermostats, phone jacks, and hanging a mirror. Of course, wife and I took a walk in the lovely sunshine this morning with Scout and she hit me with yet another next task she wants "us" to do.

Reactions: mopar65pa and CCMoe

·
Parts collector
3,524 Posts
Looking good Jere!

101 - 107 of 107 Posts