My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Apparently the child labor laws in your state are very lax. That would cost me a root beer float in IL. Deck looks really nice. Almost makes me wish I had gone with composite on my deck. Almost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Question...Your grandsons right toe is on a deck board that has obviously been ripped to size. Is that board top screwed, or is there another fastening method for ripped boards?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Question...Your grandsons right toe is on a deck board that has obviously been ripped to size. Is that board top screwed, or is there another fastening method for ripped boards?
That board is top screwed, counter sunk, and plugged for that portion of it that is ripped. I toyed with creating slots with a small portable bisquit jointer on the ripped edge, but I was not satisfied with the durability and strength of that for the fastening. I also had to rip the one against the wall of the house, and needed to screw thru it anyway. There is a potential risk of actual sunshine tomorrow - I'll try to get some better pictures. But, the plugs are very good matches - I can't see them from standing height, have to get on my knees or closer to see them. Of course that just might be one of the few benefits of 66 year old eyesight.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That board is top screwed, counter sunk, and plugged for that portion of it that is ripped. I toyed with creating slots with a small portable bisquit jointer on the ripped edge, but I was not satisfied with the durability and strength of that for the fastening. I also had to rip the one against the wall of the house, and needed to screw thru it anyway. There is a potential risk of actual sunshine tomorrow - I'll try to get some better pictures. But, the plugs are very good matches - I can't see them from standing height, have to get on my knees or closer to see them. Of course that just might be one of the few benefits of 66 year old eyesight.
Here is an up-close picture in the daylight:

Although very obvious in this close up, I don't notice them when standing on the boards.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
More progress to report, the deck surface is 90% complete, still have one board to rip and place against the house and the tread on the two steps. Just got the flashing installed yesterday. And, then all the railing systems.
But - Mother Nature has taken an overnight revenge out on me.

No problem - took my grandson to the PA Farm Show today instead. He climbed into the seat of every color tractor in the rainbow. Tomorrow is another day.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Jere,

Deck looks great, color combination works well.

Progress is, well, you know the neighborhood!

Your skill set is very commendable, nice work.

Is the deck material solid through or pattern on top only?

Looking forward to the finished product under sunshine.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Jere,

Deck looks great, color combination works well.

Progress is, well, you know the neighborhood!

Your skill set is very commendable, nice work.

Is the deck material solid through or pattern on top only?

Looking forward to the finished product under sunshine.

CCMoe
The Deck product is TimberTech Pro Legacy Collection. It is not solid, but is capped on all four sides. Some of the engineered deck materials are only capped on three sides, leaving the bottom more or less unsealed, and subject to some amount of wetness intrusion. On this material, the center is an engineered composite of recycled materials. The top, bottom, and edges, whether grooved for hidden fastner, or finished for edge presentation and through fastner are capped with the engineered material. Here are pictures of the two samples I used to decide on color. The lighter color called Tigerwood is grooved on my deck, but the darker color, called Mocha, was not grooved because the edge will show.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Crazy January weather. A few much warmer days, and progress is finally apparent:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Looking good Jere, quite the restore and a good eye for color combinations.

CCMoe

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,870 Posts
Looks awesome Jere!
That decking is similar to what I used for back (Lowes & hidden fastener) & front decks (HD & exposed fasteners). Both were completely wrapped except for the fascia boards which were wrapped on 3 sides.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Getting close now. One more step tread to put down, the stair railing, and some patching up the J-Channel at the edge along the house siding.

And, I'll cobble something together there on the left side of the step to close off the space under the deck.

Last tread is glue setting in the warm dry while it rains:

Deck will be ready for our first picnic 2020!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
See the inspector is back on the job. What did grampa have to bribe him with this time? How fast they grow up.
Rainy day trip to local dealer where he sat on every tractor in the show room - twice!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Nice work Jere,

I really like the extra details, that's an option people want but don't want to pay for.

I think the bribe price is in the mid 4k range, the inspector wants his own wheels!

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Another nice day here in SE PA, and things are beginning to wrap up. After the inspector noted the missing step, and the unattractive opening to the left of the steps, his grandmother, the real power in the family agreed. So, in spite of how easy my change order would have been to implement before the last of the deck was laid down. I find myself without a logical reason why I couldn't crawl up under the deck after a rainy day and do some real seriously hidden connector work on the back end of a couple scraps of deck board to cover that hole:

What do you think, does the smile look a little forced? Joke was on her, she had to launder my clothing from the mission. Anyway, it is now looking much better if I must admit.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I should have a finished project picture to share tomorrow. Thanks to all who followed this extended project.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Jere,

On your riser, second step, is the end cut showing lighter color?

I have used WD40 or 3 in 1 oil to darken end cuts, it also preserves it.

Dab a little on a cloth and rub it in.

CCMoe

61 - 80 of 100 Posts