My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
One other thing about composite, it does have a grain effect somewhat, if laid against the "grain" it will have a stripping effect.

This is described in the installation instructions (Installation Opinion to most of us) along with several other traits of composite decking that differ from PT, cedar, etc.

I find it interesting that Cedar can be purchased cheaper than composite in most cases.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
2x6 PT is also cheaper than 5/8 decking. It all depends upon what some one wants. The composite has only been around here for about 6 years. I have customers with mixed thoughts on using it ever again due to color fade and chalking. I have yet to find a hidden fastener I am really happy with. Metal clips are time consuming the plastic are prone to snapping in our freeze thaws and the side drills pull out with srinkage. All in all I think Jared made the right choice of fastening.

My deck building days will be long over before the verdict is out on the longevity of composites.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I'm not sure if I mentioned using a "Bow Wrench" to straighten deck boards, works great.

Using it on composite with hidden fasteners is somewhat trickier that PT screwed down through the face.

CCMoe
I looked up that bow wrench. Which one you got? The one that applies down pressure, back pressure or twist?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Ariens,

I have the original #BW2, one of the best tools I have ever bought.

I'll be honest, I did not know they made the other two models.

If the other two work as well as the BW2, they would be worth buying.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
And another progress report - First and foremost, it has been finger numbing cold here this week. I'm avoiding working on a fuel line leak on my ATV because it's too cold, and it just doesn't seem prudent to fire up a kerosene heater while working a gas leak. So, onto the deck.

Thanks to the folks recommending a Bow Wrench, I am borrowing one called a "Hardwood Wrench". Works great, provides hands free locking in place after you apply the right amount of pressure. I'm using it on every board, even though most have no bow at all, it helps set the hidden fastners in the back edge of the deck board better than several wacks with a rubber mallet.

I made the serious mistake of googling it and spotting prices on the internet. Handy as this thing is, I'm hoping to never address this need again after this one, so a loaner is the way to go. This tool came in it's own tool bag!

Speaking of hidden fastners, I am using two different kind. For the perimeter boards, and the step boards, I am using counter sink stainless screws with color match plugs, and for the central boards, I am using clips that catch the groove of the face board, screw into the rafter, and leave an ear to catch the back groove of the next board. These aren't cheap, and I hope to never need to replace a center board. Lucky for my clumsy cold fingers, there are a couple extra screws packaged in a box.

I've now got the perimeter finished on the lower/outer deck level, and started some of the central complementary color.

Temps haven't been above freezing for the past couple days, and aren't looking good today. I think I might glove up and split some wood.

·
Super Moderator
26,422 Posts
Jere, certainly is looking good what you've got done so far! Had my garage door replaced this week and put the bullet heater in there for the young guys doing the work, they were very happy to have it!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Looking good Jere, nice fine cuts. I like the color combination also.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Had great weather yesterday, but spent most of it under the ATV grunting away in Canadian while replacing the fuel tank transit grommet. So, didn't get a whole lot done on the deck, but enough to see a complete section and facia on the step-up section of the deck. Didn't have the right size bit to countersink the facia screws, so they are not finished yet, but needed facia to cut the deck board that butts against it. I fear there is a very real possibility this will not be finished this year.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,870 Posts
Looks good Jere! I like the color combo.
I'm not sure whats worse. Installing decking in cold weather or 95 deg. heat like we did with ours.
Hidden fasteners make it look nice, but I was not happy with the install on the back deck of my house. Maybe it was me, but the screws stripped easily with the square head driver. Front deck I used exposed fasteners.
Keep us posted!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
FWIW, these SS screws are Torx head, and stripping has not been a problem. Maybe the cold weather, maybe running the driver with gloves on?

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
The two-tone looks great. We switched over to Torx head screws for our wood projects and found they are a lot better than the phillips or square drives.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Will the facia on the upper deck cover the end cuts or will there been rim boards like the lower deck? Looking good.
Upper deck (ok, just one step up) will have the darker (That's Mocha in TimberTech marketing lingo) perimeter just like the lower deck. The darker boards do not have grooves for hidden fastners. So the facia will be covered with and have a slight (about 1") overhang.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A little more progress, and a surprise visit from the chief inspector on this rainy Saturday when nothing got done on the deck:

Facia on the steps, and for something easy to do, I unboxed the post sleeves, trim and tops. None of these are finished, just clearing some of my storage space.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Cost me a grilled cheese sandwich and half a cupcake, but we passed. Then, due to the rain, we spent the rest of the morning in the garage where he did some up-close and personal work on the floor dirt:

41 - 60 of 100 Posts