·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
LOL............ I do the same thing work pants become shorts. :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Jere,

(Not exactly following your question there, but it was a long time ago. I'm not sure where the design to incorporate benches into the deck came. It turns out they were rarely used, and we will not be doing that again.)

The built in bench was somewhat a structural component of your railing allowing you to pass on corner posts at the 45 degree portions of your old deck. I looked at that several times as it is an intreaging aspect of your old deck. The spindles being attached at the bottom, center at the bench and top gave it strength and kept it from racking.

You may need to add some blocking or posts depending on the railing you select.

Looking forward to your finished product.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Jere,

(Not exactly following your question there, but it was a long time ago. I'm not sure where the design to incorporate benches into the deck came. It turns out they were rarely used, and we will not be doing that again.)

The built in bench was somewhat a structural component of your railing allowing you to pass on corner posts at the 45 degree portions of your old deck. I looked at that several times as it is an intreaging aspect of your old deck. The spindles being attached at the bottom, center at the bench and top gave it strength and kept it from racking.

You may need to add some blocking or posts depending on the railing you select.

Looking forward to your finished product.

CCMoe
Oh, Now I understand. You are right about that. And, I never really thought about that. I will now add corner posts, which will make it a couple extra. But, I will not be putting the railing on the edge of the single step up deck, and save a couple there.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Jere,

Seeing the picture of your grandson (fine looking young man at that), depending on the railing you select, you may need blocking in the deck frame rather than posts.

Get some literature with the type you choose to see what is required, be it added blocking or posts.

CCMoe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, another project I have fallen woefully behind on. But, the TimberTech was delivered last week, and literally, delivered around the back of the house and laid right alongside the deck structure. So easy a caveman could do it?

Made some room for what projects to be some excessive eating tomorrow by digging a couple footing holes and mixing and pouring some concrete today:

I'd like to believe I'll finish the foundation structure before I head to the mountains. Then with a freezer full of venison, I'm counting on some fine globally warmed December weather to get that deck down!

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
We would all like to believe that we will have a freezer of venison and be able to finnsh projects up after we get back from camp with mild weather. he he he......... I'm with Ya Jere. :tango_face_smile:

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,147 Posts
Ok, another project I have fallen woefully behind on. But, the TimberTech was delivered last week, and literally, delivered around the back of the house and laid right alongside the deck structure. So easy a caveman could do it?

Made some room for what projects to be some excessive eating tomorrow by digging a couple footing holes and mixing and pouring some concrete today:

I'd like to believe I'll finish the foundation structure before I head to the mountains. Then with a freezer full of venison, I'm counting on some fine globally warmed December weather to get that deck down!
How's that freezer? Warm December? How's that deck going Jere? If it's like my new front porch/deck, it's covered with white stuff.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Struggling with the new face of MTF while working with extremely limited cell service here in the mountains. Not sure what the weather is like back home, but up here we got the white:

Update on Freezer - won't need to rearrange stuff yet.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
I won't need any freezer space this year again. :-( Saturday was great but saw nothing, we had some white stuff but mostly rain, slush, and freezing rain Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I went up this weekend but I strained my back at work Thursday and there was no way I was climbing in the stand with a numb leg and back pain. I couldn't have pulled a deer out of the woods anyway. Oh well time with the wife alone is always a good thing. :)

Where is your camp Jere? We are in Huntingdon Co. near Shad Gap PA. A lot of my friends had good luck up in Potter Co.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Howdy Jere,

Just saw this project.

IMHO, I have different views on decks. Most folks don't use them near as much as they think and the wood ones requiring maintenance are labor intensive. I tore off the wood deck and replaced it with pavers. I had a similar elevation to yours. Two courses of conventional large block retaining wall blocks was laid, the center filled in with sand and compacted and then pavers installed. The pavers look the same other than a little moss wanting to grow in the cracks. It is not totally maintenance free, the one corner near the house where the water runs has infiltrated the sub base and washes small amounts of sand with it during large rains. Every couple years I have to pull up a few pavers, add sand and compact. I have tried unsuccessfully to stop the water washing away the sand but the fix is less than an hour every couple years.

My wife has "fairy gardens", these have little miniature growing plants in them that are pretty cool.
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I won't need any freezer space this year again. :-( Saturday was great but saw nothing, we had some white stuff but mostly rain, slush, and freezing rain Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I went up this weekend but I strained my back at work Thursday and there was no way I was climbing in the stand with a numb leg and back pain. I couldn't have pulled a deer out of the woods anyway. Oh well time with the wife alone is always a good thing. :)

Where is your camp Jere? We are in Huntingdon Co. near Shad Gap PA. A lot of my friends had good luck up in Potter Co.
My Camp is on the Northwest edge of Lycoming county. On route 44 where it crosses over Hyner Mountain. The other side of the road is Clinton County, and where I always hunt.

Cabin built in 1949 by 8 WWII vets home from war in Europe. We've had a funeral a year for the last couple years. We are now sons and grandsons, and a couple great grandsons of some awesome and inspiring men.

Reactions: rooster shooter

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@c5rulz
I expect you are correct. We have a mixed, and multi-level hardscaped and wood structure that spans the entire back of the house. Maybe you can see in this older picture of how it looked before the current project got underway:

And for what it's worth, my progress reports have been a little thin, but that doesn't mean there is no progress. In fact, this morning my wife caught a little action in some splendid weather for deck work. Intend to put a complementary color of deck boards around the perimeter, and need to ad perpendicular cats to carry them.

I like to think of it as a well planned project, proceeding like a well oiled machine!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,147 Posts
Looks good Jere! Not the greatest weather to do outdoor work, but you gotta do what you gotta do.Sounds like your going a little fancy. Can't wait to see finished product.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Good to see your all covered up so you won't get sunburned. Freezer burned maybe, but not sunburned. ?

Don't feel bad about your out of season deck work. I just finished spreading bark in front of the parents house that was suppose to be done last spring.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Jere,

I see you have your corner posts in angled front, looking good.

Winter work isn't that bad, I prefer 20 degrees to 30, it's easier to keep warm when materials are dry/frozen!

CCMoe

Reactions: Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got risers cut and placed for the new direction of the steps. Sunk a 2x6 ground engaging PT board to stabilize the hardscapping edge that used to be under the steps. Cold fingers included:

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Don't cut those composite deck boards loose till you need them and at the end of the day strap them back together. If not those darn things will look like sled runners in short order. I found that one out the hard way. It lead to a day with a few flowery words trying to get the boards down.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Don't cut those composite deck boards loose till you need them and at the end of the day strap them back together. If not those darn things will look like sled runners in short order. I found that one out the hard way. It lead to a day with a few flowery words trying to get the boards down.
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately, I decided to get all the material up on a flatter surface, with less splattering materials beside them, and less foot falls in a deteriorating lawn surface. So, the straps were snipped before I read your advice. I'll look into something I can ratchet around them where they sit now. Unfortunately the weather forecast is for a week of winter.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I'm not sure if I mentioned using a "Bow Wrench" to straighten deck boards, works great.

Using it on composite with hidden fasteners is somewhat trickier that PT screwed down through the face.

CCMoe

21 - 40 of 107 Posts