My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the blades not turning on my 2185.
I replaced both belts, took off deck and checked all the pulleys and they all spin by hand. Tensioner arm moves both pulleys, and I changed both bearings on the double pulley on the deck. Clutch engages fine with no belt on and as soon as I put the belt back on and turn on PTO the engine bogs down and dies. I am running out of ideas and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions.
Thanks

·
10K and Climbin!
12,300 Posts
Hi Steve.. Looks like you need to bring it down to me & drop it off!! J/K..

So you say everything turns easily but the motor dies.. Here's a few ideas to bounce off ya as I'm sitting comfortably @ my computer with my broken leg elevated..

Could be the motor is the problem.. Pull the plugs & check the spark and read them.. How many hours are on this mower? Check your compression and then reassemble.

Try partially choking the engine and see if that improves the engine performance. If so a plugged carb or failing fuel pump could be your problem..
If still no change in performance install a volt-meter to the run circuit and see if the clutch pulls too much electricity and the voltage gets to low for the coils to make adequate spark.. If so look for a short or the clutch is going bad.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 2185 when I had a spindle sieze up, smoked the belt on that one spindle..
do all the blades turn with relative ease? One thing I learned is that when replacing the bearings on a stuck spindle, make sure the spacer is in between the bearings... The previous owner had neglected to put it back in, so when I pulled it apart and put new bearings in I didn't know there was a part missing.. and it siezed right back up... :banghead3

If they all turn freely, check the motor out as was stated...
Jonathan
upstate NY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is about 500 hours on it, clutch has about 100 hours on it. spark is fine and compression is good. pulling the choke makes the engine almost stall so enough fuel getting to it.
I changed the two bearings on the main spindle and the spacer is still there.
I don't think it has anytime to do with the motor because before i put on the new deck belt, the main belt would spin on the main deck pulley and the motor would still run. Once i changed the deck belt (the old one was pretty worn) then the motor would die when i turned on the pto.
what voltage should the coils being getting?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Are you using the throttle at enough rpm to keep it from stalling? Just a thought. slkpk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts