My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a rather large (24'x24') deck(or helipad :sidelaugh) off of our existing covered deck. My back yard is a spider web of buried lines (drains, water, elec, you name it) that the previous owner threw in any time he needed to. I did my homework and checked with him, as he now lives just up the road, and I knew the posts would be going in the area of the water and electric to the barn. Well, they were not as deep or located where he said, the depth being the main problem. So, that being said I now have repaired the water line to the barn and one of the foundation drains.:banghead3 However, I had another neighbor excavate around the lines with his backhoe to gain better access for repair. Now I am left with big holes right where 3 of my posts need to be. The neighbor that helped dig said to put in a bunch of Sakrete and build a pier over the lines and then set the post on the pier and build the beams and joists around the post and then back fill it. Basically, no sakrete around the post. I am uneasy with this...no concrete around the post??? Any thoughts, oh wise ones, would be most appreciated!:thanku:

·
-
1,833 Posts
Well you could put in an anchor and then a bracket for the post into the pier (either while the concrete sets up or drill in after and epoxy the bolt into the concerete) so that it's tied to the concrete, but the post sits on top/ties into the embedded bracket.

Here's a PDF that shows the idea. Should be able to get the brackets at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Im a bit lost on what your intended design is...if the piers are supporting the structure, they should be 40-48" deep, depending on where 'snow mountain' is,to avoid frost heaving them...i use sonotubes filled with concrete...you should be able to cheat them a few feet to avoid the obstacles,assuming you are using a header,or main support,underneath...can you post a drawing?

i would not pour concrete over any underground utilities,relocate them if necessary...just my two cents...

good luck with it

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I'm with Junk Jivin38.... I wouldn't cover up utilities either... Move them or make your spans farther apart and get a bigger beam..

Here is what i did to span a walk out basement area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with JJ38 regarding frost heaving. Based on your avatar, freezing ground is an issue. Another thing to consider is the snow load on the deck. Check with your local building department. They will have information regarding the snow load you need to design for and the frost line you need to deal with. The snow load will help you determine the sizes of the headers, rim joist and floor joists you will need to keep your deck standing for years to come.

I know building departments can be a pain but they are there to protect us from ourselves at times and they are usually willing to answer questions for you.

Do it right up front and in the long wrong, it will cost last and take less time than if you try to cut corners.

Good luck!

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Frost heave is a given here, thats why I am uncomfortable about putting a post in the ground with no conc. around it, and having it just sitting on the "pier". I am also not crazy about covering up the utils. with conc. either. At this point I think I am going to either use Sonotubes or just beef this particular area up and increase the span.:thanku:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I read about several homes built in MA over 100 years ago,that used a "rubble trench" foundation,similar to how they lay railroad tracks..they dug a 4' deep trench and fill it with "rubble",in this case it was 3/4" crushed stone,then a concrete garde beam reinforced with steel was poured on top of the crushed stone,to support the structure..no cracks in any of the homes walls or ceilings or settling ever occoured..
perhaps this method could be used to advantage in your situation?..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts