My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, after an easy installation I proceeded to spend the past millenia in my garage leveling my deck using the method mentioned in my D160's manual- 2 inch wood blocks and whatnot.

Well when I engaged PTO the deck was making what I can only think to call wabbling noises. They ceased when the tractor moved- but upon idling again they came back. All I can think is that maybe the deck isn't actually leveled?

The blades are brand new so I don't image the balance would be off, and the nuts are as tight as I can get them.

Also is there a far less frustrating way to level my deck? Installation and removal is a breeze- but the way of leveling outlined in the manual is cringeworthy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you sure its not the anti-scalp wheels on the deck rattling away?

Chris

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure its not the anti-scalp wheels on the deck rattling away?

Chris
Anything is possible, however I wouldn't think they are the problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another thing comes to mind. On my L120 there are three blades. When I put the deck back on the mower and the belt is back on I then need to artiulate the two outer blades the same direction, lets say front to back and at the same time the center blade points right to left. This also balances the deck for vibration. In my case it is then very smooth with zero vibration.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think I'd rather watch jude judy than level my deck. Re: the wobbling, if your experiencing it at idle but it goes away at full throttle I have experienced the same thing on all of my decks. I noticed the belt goes into some sort of harmonic vibration that goes away when I hit the gas.

I've heard the deck leveling tool works really well but I achieve the same results by cutting two blocks of wood that are 3.25" (I cut at 3.5") I put them under the outermost blades and go from there. Once I get it set I've found I rarely need to make adjustments.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing comes to mind. On my L120 there are three blades. When I put the deck back on the mower and the belt is back on I then need to artiulate the two outer blades the same direction, lets say front to back and at the same time the center blade points right to left. This also balances the deck for vibration. In my case it is then very smooth with zero vibration.
I'll be sure to try that tomorrow- thank you!

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'd rather watch jude judy than level my deck. Re: the wobbling, if your experiencing it at idle but it goes away at full throttle I have experienced the same thing on all of my decks. I noticed the belt goes into some sort of harmonic vibration that goes away when I hit the gas.

I've heard the deck leveling tool works really well but I achieve the same results by cutting two blocks of wood that are 3.25" (I cut at 3.5") I put them under the outermost blades and go from there. Once I get it set I've found I rarely need to make adjustments.

I couldn't remember if it did this last season- but then last season I don't think I engaged the deck while parked lol. I was in the garage when I engaged it- just making sure all was well and good.

Interesting idea on deck leveling!

·
Registered
317 Posts

Accordingly I don't see how you would achieve the 1/4"-1/2" lower on the front of the deck as per specs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I use the blocks to level the deck left to right then focus on tipping it just slightly forward which I can do with the same blocks. Easier to do than it is to explain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts