My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The decks on the following units will swap with only a different primary belt possibly needed to suit the new tractor.

LX100 Series
LX172
LX173
LX176
LX178
LX186
LX188

LX200 Series
LX255
LX266
LX277
LX279
LX280
LX288
LX289

GT200 Series Same basic frame as the LX200, stronger transaxle as in GX.
GT225
GT235
GT245
GX255

GT200 older versions. Same basic frame as LX100, stronger transaxle.
GT242
GT262
GT275

GX300 Series. Later updated version of 325,335,345.
GX325
GX335
GX345

38 Mulcher Compatible - mostly seen on LX100s.

42C Convertible - mostly seen on LX200s and GT225.

44P Piranha mulching / rear discharge. Could be seen on any of the above. Extra cost optional deck.

48 no suffix ?? Seen on early GT200 and 325>345.

48M Mulcher Compatible - mostly seen on LX100s, the earlier GT200 family and 325>345.

48C Convertible - mostly seen on LX200, the later GT200 and GX.

54M Mulcher Compatible - mostly seen on 325>345 and early GT200.

54C Convertible - Mostly seen on GT245, GX255, GX335, GX345.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you see any errors or have useful additional info please post it. Once we get it refined maybe we can sticky this. Or at least it will be easy to search from now on.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have personally used the following decks-

38" deck - it had a very nice cut. Little blow out. Also did good with a bagger and high lift blades for getting up leaves in the fall. The bagger assy doesn't use a Powerflow set up.

42C - terrible blow out. I made my own anti-blow out kit for the rh side and need to finish it up on the lh side. Much better with the kit. JD does sell a kit also. These decks all eventually suffer a failure on the rh deck hanger. It breaks loose from the deck shell and needs to be welded back in place. I think mine is failing now. Need to pull it off and give it a close inspection. The deck shell on this mower is thinner than any of the other decks including the 38. This is the only deck that came on the later tractors that would allow bagging without a Powerflow set up.

44P - awesome deck. Mine was set up to mulch which has 2 blades on each of the 3 spindles. The mulching blade set up doesn't beat the heck out of the air like high lift blades do so the machine is much quieter when mowing. Does a good job on leaves in the fall.

48C - only cut with it once before selling the GT245 it was on so I can't really give a good review. Most people seem to be pretty happy with them.

I have a narrow spot in my side yard that won't allow a 48" or larger deck to pass through which is why the 44P is the largest I have experience with.

·
Jack of All Trades Guru!
444 Posts
I have personally used the following decks-

42C - terrible blow out. I made my own anti-blow out kit for the rh side and need to finish it up on the lh side. Much better with the kit. JD does sell a kit also. These decks all eventually suffer a failure on the rh deck hanger. It breaks loose from the deck shell and needs to be welded back in place. I think mine is failing now. Need to pull it off and give it a close inspection. The deck shell on this mower is thinner than any of the other decks including the 38. This is the only deck that came on the later tractors that would allow bagging without a Powerflow set up.
Why is that? I saw that my 42C had the RH hanger welded back on. Guess not thick enough metal for support?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like the idea of this thread to share the knowledge we have about the various decks and compatibility because it's not cut-and-dry. For example..

I tried using a 54" Tri-cycler deck from a 345 on a 2005 GX345 and (at least) because of the larger tires on the GX the rear gauge wheels rubbed on the rear tires. If I remember correctly (and it's been 2-years) I had to swap the left rear gauge wheel to the opposite side of the guage arm to avoid rubbing - but then the guage wheel wouldn't rotate the 90-degrees for deck removal.

Also as a comparison I have a 48-inch Mulcher Compatible from a 325 and a 48-edge from a GX335. The edge deck pulley system is altogether different and the deck shell is a "taller" design - presumably to handle taller grass. The Mulcher Compatible deck has rotatable guage wheels while the edge deck does not. They take different length blades as well. Lots of differences really. Guess I'll have to make a list and take some photos.
Also in my short time as a Deere fanatic I have owned / used every size deck Deere offered from the LX and 325-up series, 425 to X700-series except any/all the 42-inch decks....I'm not bragging - it's more of an AA-type confession...oh, and I have a 72" 7-iron on my Z-Track..
If I ever find time I'll write up some of my opinion on the various decks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good Info!! My 44 Pirahna is the nicest mower deck I've ever used.
I currently own (2) 44" Pirahana decks and have not tried one out yet. Mostly because my grass grows so fast it's almost always too tall to mulch. Gator blades - for the same reason - don't work well on my property although I think they're a good blade.

I really want to set up one of the 44's as a rear discharge with standard blades but just haven't found the time. One "complaint" is that I can only find a standard lift blade for the Pirahna - but I will give it a try eventually. Anyone have any experience with the 44P as a rear discharge...?

One thing I have noticed on every Pirahna deck I've seen is that the back of the deck cracks where the opening is for the discharge. I have one that's essentially brand new and it has hairline cracks in it -
Must be from the stamping process.

I mow right at 4-acres so the Z-Track does most of the heavy lifting, but because of rolling landscaping I use a smaller mower near the house - currently either an LX280 or SRX95 both with a 38-inch deck. The 38's are very sturdy and leave a great cut. But the small deck does take extra time....

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is also a 42" Freedom deck that fits these units.

Like most of the other deck names listed above there are 42 Freedoms out there that fit the LT100s but will not fit the LX to GX units.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Ray jay glad you made this thread. I learned of compatibility of decks from a CL ad! It sure helped me with deck issue on my 345. I wound up installing a LX 38” on it to replaced the rotted 48 it came with. The cut is very impressive, tractor is a little overkill with such a small deck! Works for my yard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 'swept area' [ hahahhaa ] of that deck is hardly any wider than the rear tires !!! I have a 42C on my repowered GX345 and it is just a bit wider on each side. It does make it hard to knock off the gauge wheels though. On my yard I can't get a 48" deck past the greenhouse in the side yard. The 42C with bagger chute barely squeezes by.

I had a repowered LX178 with the 38'' deck and it does cut nice and no blowout when bagging. I think they came from the factory with the blowout kit as std equipment.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I could get some pics of the front bracket of an L100 deck, an LT100 deck and an LX through GX deck it would then be super easy to tell what fits what.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
The 'swept area' [ hahahhaa ] of that deck is hardly any wider than the rear tires !!! I have a 42C on my repowered GX345 and it is just a bit wider on each side. It does make it hard to knock off the gauge wheels though. On my yard I can't get a 48" deck past the greenhouse in the side yard. The 42C with bagger chute barely squeezes by.

I had a repowered LX178 with the 38'' deck and it does cut nice and no blowout when bagging. I think they came from the factory with the blowout kit as std equipment.

Tell me about it! Lol
I had the deck as a spare. The yard I mow is not large it lets me use it year round. I will use snow thrower mainly.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I currently own (2) 44" Pirahana decks and have not tried one out yet. Mostly because my grass grows so fast it's almost always too tall to mulch. Gator blades - for the same reason - don't work well on my property although I think they're a good blade.

I really want to set up one of the 44's as a rear discharge with standard blades but just haven't found the time. One "complaint" is that I can only find a standard lift blade for the Pirahna - but I will give it a try eventually. Anyone have any experience with the 44P as a rear discharge...?

If you decide ot have one set up as rear discharge and are interested in selling the mulch plug, let me know ! thanks

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really want to set up one of the 44's as a rear discharge with standard blades but just haven't found the time. One "complaint" is that I can only find a standard lift blade for the Pirahna - but I will give it a try eventually. Anyone have any experience with the 44P as a rear discharge...? ]

m121589 is shown as a 'discharge' blade. You also have to buy a washer to use with this blade.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
I heard that piranha deck is something! I keep looking to find one for my LX or 345.

·
Jack of all trades
252 Posts
Nice write-up!

Is there a chart like this somewhere that lists the interchangeability of the newer L, LA and D series Edge decks? Looks to me like they should all be interchangeable...

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wanted to bump this thread to generate more discussion/knowledge about these decks.

I'm wondering what differences there are between the early Tri-Cycler and next series Mulcher Conpatible units (I think that's the order). The 54C/48C is a very different deck with deeper shell, different gauge shafts with pinned axle shafts vs bolts and and a different belt idler system.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 54C and 48 Mulcher Compatible so I'm taking notes on different things to add to this thread. I'd like to document the year/serial number break for the nomenclature on the mid-90's to early 2000's decks. It was in 2002 that the 'C' decks were introduced I believe. Oddly, the Deere parts catalog shows a 48-inch Convertible deck available for the 325/335/345 tractors but I think that's wrong.... as that would be a 48C deck. Or are the "C" decks the "edge" nomenclature that carried over to the "X" decks being used on the X-series tractors. Confusing - which is why the forum is great to document this stuff...

Also I'm guessing there was a name change from Tri-Cycler to Mulcher Compatible that happened the same year the 345 got the 20hp Kawasaki...1999 ? But are they the same deck...?

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
This is an LT100 Series front hanger. This will NOT work on any other series. The LX100, LX200, GT200 and GX300 series and other units that this thread was created for will have a front hanger that is 6 3/4" wide. You will also notice that this LT100 Series deck does not have a double stack pulley as is required for the LX100 et al. The LT100 Series use a mechanical PTO engagement system and not an electric PTO clutch as is used on the LX100 et al .

·
Registered
295 Posts
To RayJay, I believe you are mistaken. I believe that is a picture of a 38 inch deck for a LT tractor (not LX). The LX100 series does have two belts and a double stack pulley. I have two LT133 tractors now (with a deck like your picture) and I have owned an LX176 for 25 years.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To RayJay, I believe you are mistaken. I believe that is a picture of a 38 inch deck for a LT tractor (not LX). The LX100 series does have two belts and a double stack pulley. I have two LT133 tractors now (with a deck like your picture) and I have owned an LX176 for 25 years.
You are absolutely correct.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts