My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ended up not going to look at that Sunstar a few weeks ago given the rough shape it appeared to be in. I'm a little sad about it, but it probably would have been more trouble than it was worth.

I've now been thinking of getting a deck up and working for my 3112V instead of finding a whole other tractor to do the mowing.

I found this on CL the other day:
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/grd/3748164669.html

They look pretty rough, but the guy said he'll let all 5 of em go for $125. Unfortunately, he didn't have any part numbers from them, so I am not sure how to tell whether any/all of them will potentially work on my Sovereign.
Do you think it would be worth picking them up and trying to rebuild one or more to get at least a single fully functional deck or am I looking at even more trouble?

Thanks again for all your advice, guys. This is an awesome community!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 4th, 5th, and 8th pictures are of newer style decks with the two piece arbor assemblies. The others will fit without issue. The main difference on the later style deck is the pulley diameters.

you could easily restore a deck have a extra set of spindles and sell the rest of the spindles on eBay to pay for restoration of deck. You probably would have money left over.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I may try to go pick them up this coming weekend.
As far as the newer decks, are there adapter kits to use them (or just replace the pulleys)?

It looks like most of the mounting hardware is there for at least a couple of those, although I'm guessing that I'll need to get the lift chains and height adjusters.
I was trying to find a diagram/manual of how the deck is mounted and what other parts I might need, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I have the owner's manual, but it doesn't include anything about the rotary mower.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah. Just found some diagrams of the mounting setup.
Looks like I would at least need the height adjusters and lift chains.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They will all fit your 3112V. The blades on the newer style decks will just spin slower. Could probably off set that will a smaller diameter pulley on the bevel gear box.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Thanks again for the info. I'll probably try to pick them up and fix up the best condition one or two and use the rest for parts and/or resale.

Looks like it's time to get that sandblaster I've been considering!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You should do fine on that. I would still see if he would come off the price a tad as they look real rough and a couple of the decks are a bust. It looks like you have several goods rollers. Hopefully they are free enough to get off the spindles with bushings intact. As Ray said the newer mower decks will work on your mower but turn slower by about 20%. I had to use my 990885 deck on my B112 last year when my RBT was sick but it cut just fine even with the lower blade tip velocity.

·
What happened?
638 Posts
They will all fit your 3112V. The blades on the newer style decks will just spin slower. Could probably off set that will a smaller diameter pulley on the bevel gear box.
He would need a larger pulley on the BGB to make the blades spin faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts