My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Frank and I'm looking to buy a tractor, either used or new.I want to mow 1 acre, and possibly plow a long driveway,although I do have a snowblower. In NY where I live, Sears Craftsman is very popular. Its easy to find used tractors and attachments on Craigslist. I also live near a Sears outlet.
My concern is the deck height with Craftsman tractors-it seems too low even on the highest setting. I was ready to buy a new YT4000, but at the Sears store the deck was set at 6 and was not high at all.I have cobblestones all around. I currently use a
Husqvarna tractor, and raise it to 6 to drive over the stones, than cut the grass on 4.During the growing season I cut on 3 because it grows so fast.The salesperson at the outlet said that alot of the YT tractors are returned because they cut too short-they won't adjust high enough.I don't want to buy a new or used tractor to find that the deck can't be raised enough.So is this really true?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
On my YT3000, I made modifications to it so that the deck carries higher. I bent up the left side runningboard. I cut some off the right side bracket stop, and I bent the rear bracket back to make more room for the deck. Then I cranked up on both height adjusters so that on #6, the deck is tight to the stops.

I can no longer cut on #6 because the belt and pulley rubs, but at least it carries high enough that I can use it as a tow tractor in the rough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So than this really is an issue with the Craftsman mowers. What size deck do you have? Does it happen to all the decks? As I said, I was looking at a YT4000 with a 42" deck at Sears and it did not raise high enough. The Husqvarna I use now, when set at 6, will barely touch the grass.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
:howdy: Get taller tires! :sidelaugh

Sorry couldn't help myself!

Keep searching, the right tractor for your situation is out there! :thThumbsU

:MTF_wel2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts