My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited a sweet YTH1542XLS from a family member a few months back. In transporting it over to my house though I think we borked the "fine" adjustment knob somehow. The lever on the right side raises and lowers the deck as it is supposed to. The fine adjustment knob on the left. however, just seems to spin as if its not connected to anything any longer. Turning that knob does not make any changes to the height as shown on the indicator. Luckily its currently set at 4" so I'm happy with it but I'd like to be able to fine tune the height come the fall for leaf pickup and the final "buzzcut" for winter.
Any ideas what may have been broken or unhooked and if it's a user friendly repair?
Thanks..and enjoy the LONG weekend!

·
Registered
837 Posts
The infinite height knob threads into a trunnion that is attached to a slot on the lift shaft. Look under the dash and you should see the threaded rod coming from the knob. Check that it's attached to the trunnion and that the trunnion exists. Keep in mind that there will be no tension on the knob until you lower the deck and the height indicator works with the lift handle not the adjustment knob.

Attached is a similar model but you can see the mechanics behind the knob on page 15.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks, Olds.

I'll see if I can check this out when I have it out this weekend.
Does "under the dash" mean between from under the tractor...or am I access things through a removable panel or cowl?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, Olds.

I'll see if I can check this out when I have it out this weekend.
Does "under the dash" mean between the deck and tractor or from under the tractor...or am I accessing things through a removable panel or cowl?
Edited to read properly...never reply to a post before morning coffee

·
Registered
837 Posts
Under the dash refers to the area between the engine and the dash panels on top where the battery is located for most twin-engined units (gas tank for most singles). Sorry for the delayed response - it's been a long 4 days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks OLDS. I took some time to check it out. The trunnion is difficult to see tucked in back there. It seems to be turning OK but it's tough to tell if there is any adjustment being made. Used the leaf blower to clear out the nooks and crannies and can feel the trunnion turn. SO I guess its OK.
The lever on the right only seems to do a high and low adjustment. How would I dial it down to 3" if the indicator only sits at 1" or 4" depending on the position of the deck adjusting lever?

·
Registered
837 Posts
The lift handle on the right side simply lowers the deck until the shaft attached to that handle bottoms out on the trunnion. There's a bracket welded to that shaft with a slot in it. The trunnion should be in that slot. Turning the adjustment knob moves the trunnion up and down the threaded rod attached to the knob, changing the point at which the lift handle will stop. The trunnion should never completely unscrew from the threaded rod, but that has happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lift handle on the right side simply lowers the deck until the shaft attached to that handle bottoms out on the trunnion. There's a bracket welded to that shaft with a slot in it. The trunnion should be in that slot. Turning the adjustment knob moves the trunnion up and down the threaded rod attached to the knob, changing the point at which the lift handle will stop. The trunnion should never completely unscrew from the threaded rod, but that has happened.
I do see the rod turning, with the trunnion moving up and down
along the threads. So guess its OK.
I guess this is just for fine tuning the deck height? It seems the adjustments made on the infinite knob dont show on the deck height indicator. Perhaps they are so minute they dont register???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts