My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Enjoying my new 317 and cleaning it up a little, just want to see if it is JD Green approved to use wingnuts on the Covers for the Deck belts so they easier/quicker to take off. Took them off and cleaned the old grass out, no rust! Have to wait for a warmer day to wash it really good and then throw a coat of wax on it. Washers to raise covers? I know some have done that on the newer decks but the back of the covers really can't be shimmed up I don't think and don't know what advantage would be to just shim the front without shimming the back?
What you think?:trink40:
SonnyT

·
26,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The studs stick up enought that I get full nut on and even stick out of the nut a little, I would think a wingnut would have enough threads if there is enough room to turn them?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I buy locknuts by the lb at the local Fleet Farm, you don't need many and the ones with the nylon insert in the nut work good, then just put new ones on every time, plus you don't have to over tighten them with the lock nut, just cheap insurance.

Rob

·
26,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly in my 70 years on earth anything with a wing nut on it usually presents some kind of a situation I don't want to go over again:D:

Rob
True in my experience also, but if I take them off about eveytime I mow to clean under them, I don't think I will have a problem. (famous last words).

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
I still say to toss those covers in the corner of your shed Sonny.
I respectfully disagree. I thing 'safety' covers are there for a reason. I like the idea of putting a spacer on them to raise them up so debris can be blown/washed out. If anyone has any tips for that I'd like to know about that also.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I modified my left side cover by cutting a "window" along the side on the bottom. Works great for blowing grass off the pulleys. Does not work with leaves. For leaf season I removed the covers completely and I don't think I'm putting them back. You should be fine with wing nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts