My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tryin To Learn My Model ?
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a Cub Cadet 1405 with a 46 inch deck, Nice Lawn Tractor. But i just put a new Deck Belt on it and while it was on it would squeal, and then it broke after just a couple of times mowing. Any ideas on what would be causing this?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi and welcome Ok the deck belt and NOT not the PTO belt?

Never had a deck belt squeal. How's the tensioner pulley look? Is it solid with no wobble. Check out the other spindles and pulley too. Grab 'em with your hand and man handle them to check for any slop.

When you put on the next belt see if you can manually turn the blades with minimum effort. If you can then it's most likely looped correctly.

And I take you grease all pulley's up according to Hoyle?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have been more specific, Its the belt that goes from the PTO to the deck control. I do grease it, but i just bought it a couple of weeks ago from a guy who says its been stored for three years, and he recently pulled it out and got it started. The Belts have been breaking left and right, the starter went out, the solenoid with it. The electrical burned up because of a headlight short. This mower has been problem after problem, but finally after two weeks of as much work i could squeeze in between work hours, its finally running good, but now i'm down to this belt problem. I'm not real tractor smart, but i'm getting better. Any Help or Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
hummm...could it be rubbing/touching on something other than a pulley.

Once it's hooked up and ready to run you might want to lay on the ground in front of it and eyeball the entire belt/pathway and look for points of contact with metal.

Our older CC's didn't require the PTO belt to be as tight as a bowstring...so don't over tighten. If I remember correctly you were supposed to squeeze the belt in the middle and have an inch and a half space between them.

Anyway it was something like that...the belt was more slack than tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had problems in the past with aftermarket belts.... Not on my CC, but if you replace an OEM Cub Cadet belt with one from Napa or Carquest, many times they don't have as many "layers" of stuff in the belt. Like layers of cords or whatever they are made of, and the cheapy belts just tear when you engage the PTO clutch.
Make sure you use OEM belts, and that everything turns well..
I usually engage my deck at as low of an RPM as I can, and also over a driveway, or previously mowed area so that it isn't loaded with uncut grass when I engage it (I'm hoping it extends the life of my clutch etc)
hth
Jonathan

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only use the Cub Cadet brand belts. I've been told i can get them cheaper from other places but they aren't Cub Cadet brand. I as a resaler have the mind that i get what i pay for. I haven't had a chance to check the spindles or pulleys yet. I was actually busy last night, I Purchased an 1862 Cub Cadet 44" Deck, Hydrostatic transmission. Its a little rough looking but it runs good. I think it may need the carb rebuilt, When it starts it smells thick of fumes, any help with this would help also. Like i said before i'm not real engine friendly, but i'm trying to get some know-how.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Betting a spindle or pulley is frozen or turns with a great deal of force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts