My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a JD X350 with a 42 inch Accel Deep deck. When I mow the top of the deck gets a lot of grass on it. Why? I was reading in this forum about baffles that you can install on the front of the deck. Is this something that I can get for my deck or is it used for another purpose?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Baffles installed on the front of the deck are to prevent "blow-out". Depending on high high you cut the clippings sometimes tend to "blow-out" the front of the deck...hence the name! Your going to get some debris on the top of your deck no matter what you do/install. Clean off with compressed air, leaf blower, or broom...do NOT use water! And don't forget the underside! The build up there will literally eat your deck! Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baffles installed on the front of the deck are to prevent "blow-out". Depending on high high you cut the clippings sometimes tend to "blow-out" the front of the deck...hence the name! Your going to get some debris on the top of your deck no matter what you do/install. Clean off with compressed air, leaf blower, or broom...do NOT use water! And don't forget the underside! The build up there will literally eat your deck! Bob
Thank you. I kind of figured that would be the answer. I did find a reference to them being used for mostly bagging. Which I do not do.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
No problem asking questions here for things you're not sure about or just "figuring"! That's why half of us are here: to answer, and the other half is here: to ask !!

Not bagging, you may want to research Gator blades. These are used for mulching. Block off your discharge opening, mow a tad slower, and you'll never see a piece of cut grass! I've got a bagger that works great, no clipping on lawn but getting heavier to empty the older I get! Switched to mulching blades 2 years and won't go back to bagging unless I want compost! Just a thought! Bob

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If you happen to pull the deck off, put it up on a couple of sawhorses (It's doable for one person by doing one end first, then swinging the other end). Take a look and find all the holes in the deck that you should fill to lessen the clippings coming out. You can either weld all the holes closed or use something like JB Weld to fill them.
I did that with my 48 inch deck as I mulch mow only with Gator blades.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the JD mulch kit installed. Did that when I bought the tractor few years ago. It's just that all of a sudden I'm getting more clippings on the top of the deck.
I was looking at Gators awhile back. And I'm not sure of the exact answer but bottom line it was advised Not to use Gator blades. Can anyone explain that?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
May be better to say say who advised you of not using Gator blades. JD does make their own style of Gator blades which I've never tried on my own JD and some others make similar ones. We all have our own preferences and I really enjoy the way the Gators cut. That's over 3 different tractors, now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts