My Tractor Forum banner

Decent quality riding mower for 2 acres

2694 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Freedwax
What would be a decent quality (or maybe even better than that) mower for about 2 acres that has a better transmission that the K46 and has an engine that was not lower end like the Intek or Courage? Brand really does not matter.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
What is the terrain like?...is it hilly or flat?....do you intend to use the tractor for any other work?
2 acres is quite a bit of mowing in my humble experience. I had almost an acre in suburbia that I cut with my X500 and a 48" deck. It was flat and not many obstacles so it was a breeze for this machine. My huge trees were all on the perimeter of the lot.

Keep in mind that mowing may be only a part of your machine's duties. Snow? Leaf cleanups, dirt, mulch or firewood hauling, a garden perhaps? There are mowing machines out there that can handle all this but would be at the far end of their design capabilities. These you can read about in this and other forums with low hour machines failing too soon.

I know the JD brand from my experience, and if you are look at the Green stuff, an X5XX or X7XX seems to fill current and maybe future needs for this size lawn.

Mark LI's questions are very important. The work expected, and anticipated,. should be the basis for machine selection.
In my opinion, material and build quality, engine, and transmission should be researched before you make your choice. All should be capable of your full expectations, if they are, that is the machine to put on your "approved for purpose" list.

A good choice will pay you over and over again. Going too light, will cost you over and over again.

Good luck, it is an exciting project to undertake.
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lot is fairly level, no big slopes. Might need to pull a light small wagon very seldom.
If you did not have the need to pull a wagon I would suggest that you look into a Zero Turn...but all they do is cut grass...however, they do it very well and very fast...a Simplicity Broadmoor is the only Lawn Tractor I would think suitable...but it is going to have a smaller deck..they have 2 cylinder vanguards for the most part ( they also do have other engines in them) other than that I would look for a GT I don't know of any GTs without better than a k46...I think you want at least a 48" deck
Reactions: shorty66
I had the use of a Kubota SCUT for three years. Great machine for most jobs I had and bulletproof but it will lighten your wallet considerably.
@wayne50 What kind of budget are we working with and do you want new or used? The lowest current Deeres without the K46 are the X370 with K57, X380 with K58 and the X390 with power steering/lift K58 transmission that is serviceable. Husqvarna uses Tuff Torq transmissions but not sure which one(s). Simplicity may be a good choice but I don't know how much they are.
I was just trying to get an idea for the future. I presently have a 2003 JD L110 with the K46 and Kohler Command. It's been a great mower. It splits time with an older Murray that has a 5 speed with a Briggs 18hp Twin. I was just trying to get an idea for later on. I would rather buy new, but would not want to spend over 4500 for a mower. Maybe that's not enough.
Just a couple of ideas in the used market, in budget. 500 hour, heavy duty machines with great ergonomics, that look to be in nice shape. Not sure where you are located. I looked at Deere 318’s and didn’t find anything good. I’m not very familiar with GT (or any other tractor) offerings but I would be looking for something in this weight class with a 60” deck if you opt for a tractor. I have ‘03 Legacy and love it, I think I catch myself smiling every time I use it.

AGCO / SIMPLICITY 2027 LEGACY XL GARDEN TRACTOR // 2WD // MODEL 2690305 | eBay
One of the Husq TX 348/354 variants
I would agree zero turns do a fine job to cut grass.. If the op is on this forum and has a couple of acres it seems likely something more in the way of a garden tractor might be worthy of consideration. For $4K or less you can buy a dandy ( if you are a knowledgeable buyer ) used unit that would last for years and might bring a good price if/when you would want to change. Almost any of the 300 or 400 series ( a few rare exceptions ) older green would fill the bill nicely.. A diesel or gas Yanmar in decent shape around 18hp will live on for the next generation. Yellow/white in CCadet ( 3000 series ) would be good as well and can be exceptionally smooth. Both should come with one or two attachments and be capable of making a small garden if that is an option you may consider in the future. There are many more depending on what you want. I wouldn't consider less than a 50 inch deck and a hydraulic deck plus power steering. Then again, if all you want is grass cutting look to the top of Mark's first sentence.. This time of the year is normally the time to buy...
If you did not have the need to pull a wagon I would suggest that you look into a Zero Turn...but all they do is cut grass...however, they do it very well and very fast...a Simplicity Broadmoor is the only Lawn Tractor I would think suitable...but it is going to have a smaller deck..they have 2 cylinder vanguards for the most part ( they also do have other engines in them) other than that I would look for a GT I don't know of any GTs without better than a k46...I think you want at least a 48" deck
I have a Husqvarna as well and it's been nearly flawless for five years.
But the OPs budget is $1300 so that limits his/her options quite a bit at least as far as riding mowers go.
Actually the OP said "I would rather buy new, but would not want to spend over 4500 for a mower. Maybe that's not enough." So that does open a few more options.
MikeC
A quick search shows that Ariens, Toro, Cub Cadet and Husqvarna offer some zero turn mowers for under 2K. Cutting width ranging from 32" to 52".
Check here to know more details about riding lawn mower.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.