My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts

Name:
Darrin

What city, and state, do you live in?
East side of Columbus Ohio, near Jersey.

Are you married?
Yes, for 30 years.

Do you have any children?
Two, a son in college and a daughter, she is a junior in High School.

What do you do to earn a living?
School Bus Mechanic.

How old are you?

How did you come to join MTF?
Looking for info on my then new X720.

Where did your screen name come from?
mom 300 start.jpg
The burned out 300 is where my screen name came from, the previous owner caught it on fire, I paid $450 for this gem back in 1994 . This was before ebay, so all of my used parts came from local mower salvage yards, the hood and wire harness came from a 214, all the switches, battery, front and decals were new.

mom painted 300.jpg

(My restored repainted burned300, the hood panels still warped from the gas fire, the only tractor I sold that I wish I had back.)

What are your favorite MTF forums and why?
"What did you do to your John Deere today" I like seeing what others are using their Deeres for.

What do you like most about MTF?
Covers all brands.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
X720SE, X595, X485

mom x fam.JPG

MTD 990 with Haban sickle bar,
mom 990.jpg
(It would take me 6 hours to trim around pine trees with weed wacker, only takes 20 minutes with Sicklebar.)

Gannon Earthcavator, Brinly one bottom plow, EZ rake yard vacuum, grapple, ohio steel & Jackson brand yard trailers.

This picture is my ole fleet of 210's I had.
mom Scan_0002...jpg

These are 3 of the four 420's I had.
mom 420 2014 family 1.jpg

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?
X720SE, its the only Tractor I ever bought new.
mom start x720.jpg
(Pushing snow back in winter 2012/13)

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
X748 with loader.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?
Cut grass, push snow, collect leaves, plow field at plow day, move fire wood.

to plow day.JPG mom grapple.JPG mom g.JPG

Could you describe your property for us?
6.3 acres shaped like a "Y".

mom a.JPG
mom d.JPG

Top picture looking from road 1/4 mile away is my house. Bottom picture, looking from house back to road.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?
72 chevy 4X4 pick up.

Most memorable tractor moment?
My neighbor hired a guy w/ full size bronco to push his snow & he couldn't push any, too much snow. I cleaned my place and his with my JD 420 just fine.

Earliest tractor memories?
5th grade and the doorbell rang, my parents had a Sears LT10 tractor delivered after I got home from school.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?
4x4 trucks.

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?

They know what to talk with me about and they always tell me if they see a Deere for sale.

dec_fmom.png

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,740 Posts
Congratulations Darrin. Nice piece of land you have there.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Darrin. Most fitting for you to be member of the month. Our first meeting was buying the weights you had for sale that went on my gx335. Your addiction
turned into my addiction with the purchase of my x720. Plow day fun followed along with many questions so patiently answered!

Darrin is someone who enjoys when others come to his house with JD or attachment questions that are on my trailer parked in his driveway while he turns the wrenches.

The pictures are quite the photo essay of your journey with tractors.

Congratulations!!

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Darrin, I understand why you'd like to have the 300 back, you did a good restore on it. Looks like you have plenty of land to keep all your machines busy.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Well deserved sir. Your input is always thoughtful and helpful. You are also the only member I know that has 3 of the big Deere "X" series and had four 420's!

·
Super Moderator
22,970 Posts
Welcome to the club, Darren! :thThumbsU

It's a pleasure to learn more about you and your hobby.

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Wow--I'm in awe---three 420's? Wow--and nice place also.
Congrats!

glenn

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I get a little uneasy seeing pictures of things gone wrong at people’s expense. My brother was in one of those situations this fall when smoke came into the cab giving him time to stop and get out to to see what was wrong, but later was a total lose.

Congrats on a great rebuild and for the recognition.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,297 Posts
Congrats Darrin, and thanks for helping to make MTF a better place!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,404 Posts
Congrats! And thanks for the explanation of your screen name. You have an awesome history of Deere GT, and a great looking property to keep the current fleet busy. Another well earned accolade!

·
Super Moderator
12,936 Posts
Congratulations, Darrin! Like Jere, I've also been wondering about your screen name. Your pic said it all. Great collection of tractors, and I like your location too.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I wanted to take a minute & says thanks for all the kind words, I was shocked when I got the Email about me being MTF FMOM, I'm still looking for some old pictures of my first 420 for I can post them before this month is over. I had a neighbor me ask how many JD's have I owned thru the years, the count was 24, however, I only bought 3 that ran when I bought them, that was my first 210 in 1989, then my first 420 in 2005 & my X720 in 2012. One of the items I really like about MTF is how it covers all brands of machines & every machine that we can all use in our yards. The resources here are the best, seems like there is always someone here who has a shared experience that can help someone else.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I found a picture of my first 420, and a picture of one of my 140's. And also years before I had my burned300 I was given a 210 that was in an arson fire. the company kept the wheels & mower deck, I was told to bring my own wheels to load it. it had a hood from a 214 at first, then I found a hood that already had 210 decals, wrong generation, oh well. that 214 hood became the hood that went on burned300. I'd also like to invite everyone to check out my page here on MTF, I'm almost maxed on pictures.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts