My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
7,261 Posts
:ditto:

But enjoy your two "official days" :fing32:

Glad you didn't let the tree win! LOL!!
:biglaugh:

Meh, if we had lathes & milling machines it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. ;)

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Good story T-holic. Would have loved a picture to go with it.

Aren't we lucky on this current storm? I have friends in the more Northern part of MA and in Southern NH. They are going to get whacked!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
It poured rain here all day yesterday near Taunton--zero snow,but around 3 am the roads froze up,black ice galore,and the sanders were called out...bare ground here though...

I'm not dissapointed one bit about that either...gives me more time to prep my tractors for when we do get a dumping here...

My hometown of Fitchburg MA got almost 11",but my sister one town away said she only got about 6" maybe...up in Maine they will get 2+ feet..lots of NH ski areas are happy too..

The tree did "win" in a way--it made my back and left leg sore as h*** and now I have a lot to do on the tractor to get it back in shape for plowing...but I'll get my revenge on it when I put the logs in the wood stove...:D..
I ended up staying inside yesterday,the cold rain made my bones ache..

Tractor Supply called me yesterday--said "your two stove pipes you had a rain check for came in"...hmmm..that's nice BUT--I ordered THREE pipes!..

"Oh--well,when you come in to buy these two,you can get another rain check for another one at the sale price ..IF we get any more in "!...gee what a bargain...:rolleyes:..

I "saved" all of 10 bucks going there to buy it last week,drove ten miles to get there,then found out they had NO 6" pipe at all--only some 8",and I was lucky they had ONE 6" elbow--NO other fittings of any size either!..

...now I'll spend more $$ on fuel going there 3 times than I'll "save" by not buying it elsewhere closer at higher cost...:rolleyes:..

Don't you hate it when stores put things on sale in a flyer,when they don't even HAVE it in stock ?..

I asked if they had sold out of the pipe the first few days of the sale--"Um--no,we never got any in--none of the other stores in this area did either"...

Oh well,I should go get a drive belt there today anyway,but I may just buy the third piece of pipe at a hardware store on the way back rather than "rain check" again..
I'd like to use my stoves before SPRING!.

I like Tractor Supply for their bulk nuts & bolts and some other things,but I find their prices are too high on many items,like welding rods,and many other things..some stuff they sell is a bargain,much of it isn't...but some of it cant be bought locally elsewhere either..

What irks me most is they do not keep the stuff like bushings,bearings for wheels on tractors,pulleys,and other things you cant find locally easily in stock--once the "drawers" go empty,they never re-order,or they see things that are put in the wrong drawer compartment and assume they are the part the label says,when it isn't..

You cant trust their online store "stock check" either,its wrong most of the time..and if you call and ask if something is in stock,most of the time no one knows what your talking about..
They keep plenty of boots,clothes,pet foods and other stuff on hand though...stuff I never buy there for the most part!..

·
5K and there's still more
7,261 Posts
That sounds like the Tractor supply Store that we have. LOL!
I buy bolts in bulk from them and tractor juice in 5-gallon buckets.
Also, have picked up a few odds and end tractor hardware items & a few wrenches off of the bargain-sale table. Same here, they are the only store in town for some things. I was hoping they would be a good source for welding gas but they don't carry it here so it's an 80 - 100 mile round trip for me. Now with two tanks at least I can hold off a bit longer.

We are supposed to get snow over the weekend too, they are already warning with travel advisories for most of the state, all the way down to San Diego so it could be a good one.

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Tractor Supply here does not sell welding gases either--but you can buy welding gas tanks (empty) and torches,etc...I have two local welding stores close by,I can only fill my "commercial" sized tank at the closest one 3 miles away by paying cash and using a friends account,because the tanks are the largest sized ones that require a contract to get refilled...
(I have only filled the large one twice in the past 3 years)--I also bought two 20 cu.ft O2 tanks that can be filled anywhere,for my "tote -a-torch" ,that I can use as back ups if the big tank runs out..I use propane instead of acetelyne too,its much cheaper and can be bought just about anywhere...torch tips are costly for propane though!..

We might get a dusting to 1" on New Years Eve night,but it'll melt Sunday probably..no other snow predicted in the next week,we may get rain next Tuesday though again..high temps in the 40's and lows above 20 for the next week are predicted..been pretty cold here at night,I have used almost 100 gallons of oil since Nov.15th..:eek:..and I dont keep the thermostat above 65 either..

I'm hoping we don't get much snow this winter--2015 was a killer,it didn't snow hardly at all,until the last week of January--then we got 8 feet ,storm after storm,some 2+ footers every few days,and it was cold and snowy well into March--the piles the plows left didn't melt until july in some places!..my truck got a real whipping that year,so did all my other snow removal stuff..along with my back!..much of it had to be shoveled, after drifts piled too high to be moved by other means..

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Well,today is the last day of 2016...

I can't say it was a great year for me,I lost a few very good friends,and some of my most loved musical hero's...but I'm still alive,why I don't know sometimes--.

December was pretty good,I enjoyed being member of the month,it was about the only good thing that happened this year...could have been worse I suppose too though..

Yesterday I made the trip back to Tractor Supply...
I noticed on the "rain check" whoever made it out ,ordered me two 6" pipe elbows,not the 3 pieces of 6" stove pipe I had wanted..geesh...incompetence runs rampant in retail stores here lately..

When I got there,I saw one open box of 6" pipe in 2 foot lengths (what I wanted!),so I asked the manager if they would honor the sales price on 3 lengths of that ,and she said no problem..
I had to put my work gloves on to extract the pipes out of the box--they were firmly clinging together,like a coiled up spring,and sharp as razor blades--it took a lot of struggling to get them apart..
They had NO other 6" stove pipe fittings left either,or had never had any to begin with..
But I was glad to get the 3 lengths of pipe at least..

I also picked up the last 5/8 x 81" kevlar v-belt they had--its always hit or miss there,whether they'll have what you go there for...hated to pay 25 bucks for it,thats almost what I gave for the entire auction lot of 200+ v-belts I got,that never seem to be the right sizes for anything I own,or fix for others...
The total cost for 3 stove pipes and the belt was 45 bucks and change..seemed like a lot to pay for just those 2 items..

I looked around and saw a lot of things I'd have liked to bought,but they can be had elsewhere for less $$ and I left before I spent any more money..

When I got outside,there was a very dark ominous cloud overhead,and it started snowing heavily,and the wind started gusting...all the way home it was like a whiteout--then as soon as it started,the sun comes back out,and the clouds vanished,it was rather spooky..
A "snow squall" that wasn't predicted..it didn't even coat the ground,despite coming down with such intensity...I've been caught in a few of those before and almost crashed,the visibility was zero,and the road got covered with 1" or more of snow almost instantly..

By the time I got home,had some lunch,it was already getting dark,so I put off doing any tractor tinkering until later--its supposed to "warm up" to the 40's the next few days,and some rain is predicted Tuesday,so that will probably be a good day to spend in the garage getting things ready for whenever we get snow here...

Thanks to MTF and all the members for making December a better month than the other 11 this year...best wishes to all for a safe,healthy and Happy New Year..!..

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Well Tractor thank God you got that pipe! We been having those squalls a lot lately. Gets real dark then a quick inch then gone here!
Thank you for being a good forum friend Robert!
Happy New Years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I got another phone call--

"Robert ?..This is Tractor Supply--those three stove pipe elbows you have a rain check for are here!..."...

:rolleyes:....

I had to explain the whole scenario all over again..:tango_face_plain:

The woman said "oh well--if you decide you still want the pipe elbows,we'll hold them for you until Friday--after that they will go back in stock,at the regular price.."...

Eh--maybe I'll go buy them anyways..not saving a nickel after making three trips there,but I could use a few other items..but geez...can anyone do their jobs right any more ?...

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
It was quite a while before I felt I wasn't being stalked by the apple orchard owner and the police..:eek:..

I don't have too many more stories--not ones I can relate here without getting the "ban stick" anyway..maybe I'll remember some others that are family friendly,if so, I'll post them..

Had an enjoyable day today--had a visit from GT-80 (James) ,who helped me move a lot of things around in my shed & garage so I can start making room for my truck to fit in the garage again...no small task,after driving nearly 90 miles to get here in rush hour madness..

He also installed an Onan engine on a Suburban chassis, and got it to fire up in about an hour!..James is "the man" if you need any Onan advice..

We traded some stuff around ,and I mostly just kept the wood stove fed and handed him tools,it was chilly,about 35 degrees out,but not windy,so it was a "bearable" weather day...but it passed very quickly..before we knew it,the sun was setting..

Its always a treat to have another like minded person come to visit..made it feel much more like Christmas...:)..
Always great visiting with Robert. I wish we had a community of people on the forum that did good deeds for fellow members. I have helped many out, and had many help me out trading parts, etc and I have met many members as well. Mostly all outstanding people :)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Thanks for the compliments everyone !...:D..

Got about 4" of fresh snow this morning,looks like light fluffy stuff for once--sun just came out..time to go get my plow on my truck I guess,should have done it yesterday,and decide what to use to clear the driveway today...my left leg feels like it has a blood clot in the calf area the past 2 days,aching like mad..,perfect timing..:(

Another 6-12" expected tomorrow overnight into Sunday too,with temps below 25 all weekend..hope my diesel pickup will START...have to leave the battery charger on it ,and pray that it will.....:(

Not looking forward to dealing with snow--I haven't done anything about the cutting edge on my Suburban plow tractor yet,and the one with the snowblower needs the battery put back in it, and "woken up' from sitting all year..not sure if I have a good blower belt for it either...

Next week they say it might hit 50 here Wednesday...but I bet once a foot of snow falls it wont all melt in one warm day,unless it rains,which it might..what will happen,is the ground will thaw out again,and make it easy to destroy the lawn when I drive the truck over it,to plow the snow far enough back..

I do not plan on going too far the next few days..

I ended up going back to Tractor Supply yesterday and bought those two pipe elbows..

Was a bit disgusted when I found an ignition switch identical to the one I paid almost 12 bucks for at Advanced Auto the other day there--for 7.99!..they had it in the "trailer and winch aisle",not where all the other tractor electrical related items were--had I seen it last week,I'd have bought it there instead..oh well..

Came home 45 bucks poorer,after buying the elbows,some cat food,and my truck ended up taking 20 bucks to fill it with diesel--not sure why,I had only driven it about 60 miles since I last put in fuel,and it took over 8 gallons..hope no one is siphoning it on me!..

It did have a "minor" fuel leak a couple weeks ago when an injector return line hose failed,but it shouldn't have lost that much in so few miles..sometimes I wonder if the pumps at the gas station actually pump the amount the meter says it did..

61 - 71 of 71 Posts