My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Robert, in regards to the GT19.9, I was thinking yesterday, I have a "spare" SS16 motor in my basement that I took off a tractor this summer, runs good, but I borrowed the exhaust off it for my GT18- I may consider swapping you the onan for the Tec I gave you now that I have 2 more tecumseh tractors. I can't remember if the wiring for the Onan is still in that chassis, but it would give you one powerful motor tractor for snowblowing or plowing, and if I can walk you through the flaws of Onans, you can keep it running easily... I tried selling the motor a couple times to people who wanted parts for it, but no one wanted to pay what I was asking. I know that orange motor ran good but may need a head gasket, but think about it. I'm not 100% sure I want to do the swap, but I have 3 onans on my bench in the basement, and 3 onan tractors- I don't need a spare for all three of my tractors...

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I'm open to any trades James,and I haven't tried using that orange engine since I got it (I had no starter/generator for it !)...
I have another HH120 I bought last summer ,as I said earlier too,plus the 2 partial ones you traded me,so its not like I need 2 or more "spares"...my tractors get used sparingly so most likely the engines on them will last longer than I will...

The wiring on the tractor is no big deal,I may even have a few old harnesses off other lawn tractors I could use,or make my own..

I haven't felt good enough to do anything with my tractors or in the garage lately,after I had to replace my truck's exhaust manifold a month or so ago,my back has not yet recovered ,and as a result my enthusiasm to go out there and try fooling with anything else has been on the low side to say the least..ditto for any other "fun" activities..

I'd love to go to a concert tonight in Fall River,an artist I like I haven't seen in about 15 years is performing there---but I don't trust my truck any farther than I can push it after getting stranded 15+ miles away in it a month ago when the fuel filter plugged up,that cost me 100 bucks just to get it towed home..its still leaking oil,and now the batteries are showing their age,had to jump it the other day to get it to start,and use starting fluid..not sure its charging right either..

Also my back would likely be toast,if I did go I'd have to leave before dark,and the venue doesn't open until 7 pm,I'd have to sit in the truck 3+ hours ,then in the venue 3 more--then pray I make it home 15 miles,with no truck problems..my night vision ain't too great either..
I hate to miss a chance to see any artists I like,especially after one of my favorites died last month...you never know if you'll ever get another chance to see them again..:(

My next door neighbors were planning to take me to that concert and another next week ,but one couldn't get the time off work,so they cant go...

Another one of my favorites,Suzy Bogguss, is coming to the Bull Run in Shirley MA on the 11th,but I rather doubt I'd be able to get there,or get decent seats..chances are good if I dared take my truck that far,it would be it's last ride..:mad:..and it'd cost more to tow it home than its worth!..
I have to look into getting AAA or towing insurance,and a more reliable "daily driver"...been looking on craigslist daily ,but there isn't much out there for a decent cheap vehicle..AAA isn't what it used to be either I've heard...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I'm open to any trades James,and I haven't tried using that orange engine since I got it (I had no starter/generator for it !)...

I have another HH120 I bought last summer ,as I said earlier too,plus the 2 partial ones you traded me,so its not like I need 2 or more "spares"...my tractors get used sparingly so most likely the engines on them will last longer than I will...

The wiring on the tractor is no big deal,I may even have a few old harnesses off other lawn tractors I could use,or make my own..

I haven't felt good enough to do anything with my tractors or in the garage lately,after I had to replace my truck's exhaust manifold a month or so ago,my back has not yet recovered ,and as a result my enthusiasm to go out there and try fooling with anything else has been on the low side to say the least..ditto for any other "fun" activities..

I'd love to go to a concert tonight in Fall River,an artist I like I haven't seen in about 15 years is performing there---but I don't trust my truck any farther than I can push it after getting stranded 15+ miles away in it a month ago when the fuel filter plugged up,that cost me 100 bucks just to get it towed home..its still leaking oil,and now the batteries are showing their age,had to jump it the other day to get it to start,and use starting fluid..not sure its charging right either..

Also my back would likely be toast,if I did go I'd have to leave before dark,and the venue doesn't open until 7 pm,I'd have to sit in the truck 3+ hours ,then in the venue 3 more--then pray I make it home 15 miles,with no truck problems..my night vision ain't too great either..

I hate to miss a chance to see any artists I like,especially after one of my favorites died last month...you never know if you'll ever get another chance to see them again..:(

My next door neighbors were planning to take me to that concert and another next week ,but one couldn't get the time off work,so they cant go...

Another one of my favorites,Suzy Bogguss, is coming to the Bull Run in Shirley MA on the 11th,but I rather doubt I'd be able to get there,or get decent seats..chances are good if I dared take my truck that far,it would be it's last ride..:mad:..and it'd cost more to tow it home than its worth!..

I have to look into getting AAA or towing insurance,and a more reliable "daily driver"...been looking on craigslist daily ,but there isn't much out there for a decent cheap vehicle..AAA isn't what it used to be either I've heard...

Wish I could have given you my 1991 Sierra I had - that thing ran great! I had to sell it to get my F150. That was a great truck, didn't really need anything. I sold it for $2600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Most of the trucks on craigslist are worse than mine--rotted frames,needs an engine,transmission,etc--yet they still think they are worth 1500+ bucks in junk non roadworthy condition...I already own three like that !..

The few I have seen that had potential were all pretty far away,and most of those sold within a few days,before I could even find a way to go look at them..think I'm going to have to fix what I have--or have it fixed I should say--I'm not up to playing mechanic now..
I'm sick of being scared to go anywhere ,wondering if I'll make it there or back again,especially this time of year,its one thing to be stranded on a warn summer evening,but now that its cold out,the dangers you face increase a lot..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Most of the trucks on craigslist are worse than mine--rotted frames,needs an engine,transmission,etc--yet they still think they are worth 1500+ bucks in junk non roadworthy condition...I already own three like that !..

The few I have seen that had potential were all pretty far away,and most of those sold within a few days,before I could even find a way to go look at them..think I'm going to have to fix what I have--or have it fixed I should say--I'm not up to playing mechanic now..
I'm sick of being scared to go anywhere ,wondering if I'll make it there or back again,especially this time of year,its one thing to be stranded on a warn summer evening,but now that its cold out,the dangers you face increase a lot..
whats up with your plow truck now? I know you got the exhaust fixed, you said it's still leaking oil? what else is wrong with it?

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Ah-yes-Robert...Thanks for being a member here , and contributing--your stories are right out there--but very close to home to some of us..

glenn

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
CONGRATS, ROBERT ! I, like many others, have enjoyed your posts. Too bad we never got to meet. I figured we would eventually, since Rehoboth wasn't that far from Plainville, but now Liberty Hill,Texas is a tad further . :) Again - Congrats ! Oh! In case you don't know - this's oldtimer. Hope to get that name back soon.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Thanks everyone !...

Though I'm pretty bummed out about staying home tonight,and not having the courage to take the risks involved to see a performer I like not all that far away--your kind words help a lot to cheer me up..

Oldtimer,I wouldn't have known it was you,under that screen name!..hope things down in TX are going well for you...
I only went to Rehoboth twice this year--once for the swap meet and tractor show,and once to watch tractor pulls--only stayed about an hour,my back was killing me ..not much there for sale really this spring either..

GT-80 James --it would probably take less words to tell you what isn't wrong with the truck..:rolleyes:..

I'll give you the list--

Right after I put a new fuel filter on it the day it got towed back home,it started and ran ok,so I assumed that was "fixed"...was fearing the mechanical fuel pump on the engine died,or the electric pump I'd added near the fuel tank..they seem to be OK...but both have been on it since I got it in 2003 too,so either could take a dump anytime..

The next day a large chunk blew out of the very rusted exhaust manifold on the drivers side--good thing I was not far from home,or else the hot gasses would likely have ignited the rubber return lines on the injectors only inches away..:eek:

I tried to braze it up,using a bolt to plug the gaping hole,but no dice--it was just too thin and rotted and I only made it worse..the braze barely stuck,only in one spot,and I knew I couldn't trust that to live for long..figures this happens right before winter when I need the truck most...its become a annual event,like it has a calender built in..

Luckily I have a blown up 6.2 for parts that broke the crankshaft,from a friends '87 C-30 ramp truck,which had a pair of exhaust manifolds in nice shape on it..the bolts actually all unscrewed easily on that engine too!...of course,the ones on the truck's engine were rotted so bad the heads had no hex,they were rivets now..the bolts are 1" away from the frame rail at a goofy downward angle,so only a box wrench can be used too--no ratchet or air gun allowed..

Had to spend 130 bucks on oxogen tank refills and brazing rods,and a torch tip,to cut all 8 bolts off and slice the manifolds where the bolts go in them,to get the manifolds pried off...had to take 3 days off to recover,my back hurt so bad,after bending over it so long--.

Then I spent 2 more afternoons brazing nuts to the remains of the bolts,and dont ask me how,but I got all 8 to come out of the cylinder head without breaking them off--if that happened,the engine would have had to be pulled,no way to get a drill near them "in the truck"..

It took me another afternoon to get the "good" manifold installed...after I was done I was so sore,I could barely get out of bed or walk for a few days...still have a knot in my back killing me to this day,and that was probably a month or more ago now..

Then a few days after I felt a bit better I went to go buy food,and saw a large puddle under the truck where I parked--the exhaust manifold and pipe was soaked with oil,and I though great,now it'll probably either run out of oil,or catch on fire..(I would be tempted to let it burn too,if it did!).

I knew the oil pan was rotted bad,I put a large bolt in one hole in it and a screw in another spot,tried soldering it up,but that wasn't going to work,so I put J-B waterweld putty over the bolts ,then a thick layer of Mar-Glass waterproof fiberglass filler over that,after draining the oil and cleaning it good with brake cleaner.

I also put a shop vac hose over the oil filler pipe,and left it running,that kept any oil inside the pan from oozing out while the bondo hardened...

The oil pan was now dripping again,but the shop vac trick and some RTV has sealed 98% of that up again..(for how long,who knows?)...
I have two good used oil pans for it,but cant lie under the darn truck long enough to install either one of them...so I keep patching it..:(

Most of the leakage is coming from further up,its not the sending unit either--more likely the valve cover,or maybe the head itself...if I spray brake cleaner between the head and block where the exhaust manifold bolts up,I can see it bubble,I think the oil oozes out there,but it could just be the cleaner boiling away too,you cant see squat up there..

If it is the valve cover leaking,that is an all day sucker to repair--the intake manifold has to come off,all the injector lines,and they are so rusty there is no way they wont just twist up like macaroni and snap off...

I have some used ones for spares,but I'm not up to squatting on top of the engine for hours to do this..especially when it might be something else leaking--I do not think the head gaskets are bad,I lose no coolant and none is in the oil,but its old enough to have them leak too..far as I've read online, there is no pressurized oil passages in the block the head gasket seals ,there is only oil returns in the heads near the lifter valley..so in theory there should be no oil TO leak out of that area of the head gasket..

The leak varies too--some days I will lose a quart in only a few miles,like 40 or so,other days I'll check it often and it seems not to leak much at all..this is not good,as you know,once your on a highway,you cant just stop and add oil without being killed around here,and running it too low is something you wont get away with more than once either..

One thing I though of is the CDR valve that is like a PVC valve on a gas engine might be letting pressure build up in the crankcase ,which would account for the leak not being "steady"...a new one of those costs 70 bucks..pretty pricey for something that "might" be the cause,and only way to find out is to try a new one..I could rob the one off the other truck,but would rather not...

Then there is the rest of the truck--I know a spot in the rear of the frame has rusted away and should have a patch welded on it--the transmission shifts great,but it has seen a lot of hard plowing use,and the transfer case refuses to unlock ,in 2wd it still gets power to the front shaft,so I have to leave the hubs unlocked...that has not been a big deal,but I've been warned if one hub decided to lock itself while I'm going 65,it could be very ugly..:eek:..

The radiator hoses are both old,the lower one is covered with sludge,I bought a new one,its still behind the seat,haven't felt good enough to install it..--the radiator is getting green in the gills too,and there is a lot of other things that could fail anytime too,like the other exhaust manifold,its as bad as the drivers side was..

On top of that,the truck rides very hard and is not a very comfortable thing to drive too far,especially with a bad back..even if it had no mechanical issues its still a buckboard to drive..

Long story short,my other vehicles in the pictures have all sat too long,and will need about as much or more work to get them to the point they can be trusted --thats IF I dont find some major issue from them sitting too long un-used..my van has rusted the least underneath out of all of them..and I miss that thing,I would like to get that back on the road before its too late..

The final insult was my car insurance bill for 2017 came yesterday--its going up 43 bucks,and my trucks "actual cash value" is 500 dollars..the bill is 507 dollars,up from 464 this year,and last year it was 410 bucks..and I've never filed a claim,or had an accident since 1990 !...that seems like a lot of money for a 34 year old truck I dont dare go far in,that sits in the driveway 98% of the time..:mad:..

I do not know HOW I got around in all the beaters I've owned when I was younger--I thought nothing of going hundreds of miles,not a care in the world...now I'm uneasy just going to do local chores or shopping,and an 80 mile ride to see my siblings feels like a trip to Los Angeles instead of a 90 minute commute,which I did 5 days a week in my youth in those vehicles ...

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Tractor, CONGRATS!! I just saw it and will read this further tomorrow morning!! YOU DESERVE THIS!!!!!!! Been a great help to me many times!! :)

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Congrats!!!
I did a quote to help me wish u my wishes.. Tractor enjoy the 'limelight'.. it's great to see they picked on u.. (pun) lol

anyway.. here's a pat on ur back.. take care of ur bod now..

·
who?
765 Posts
Congrats to you Sir :) I've just met you (thanks to the MODs), but we sadly have some things in common. I too live on disability (surprise!) all sorts of new and weird crap going wrong with me, mainly joint issues (not my back, dodged that one) and neuropathy, plus the tractor bug bit me big time in my late 40s (who knew, right?) and I love mowing grass, it's my zen thing.

I can't wrench worth spit, but I read well and am slowly learning how to do stuff and thangs...

If you haven't heard it before, look up the "spoon theory" - it'll make sense to ya~!

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Congratulations...

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
Nice article, Robert, and some very interesting memories. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Glad everyone is enjoying my "memories" !..

Looking back,I wonder just how I managed to survive some of the things I did in my youth,or got myself into...

The guy I told about who's dad had the orange & white Sears Suburban--his first car was a '64 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390 V8 and a 4 speed...he beat the snot out of that car--one of the first things he did to it was remove the rear shocks,and install two lengths of 2" pipe in their place--a hillbilly "lift kit"..also made longer shackles for the leaf springs..

We used to cruise around in that thing a lot--often getting it airborne over frost heaves on back roads..it rode like a dump truck with the rear axle having no "spring",but it would burn rubber endlessly in all 4 gears..one night after several hole shots,the u-bolts on the rear springs loosened up enough to let the axle slide back off the spring center bolts,and the drive shaft fell out into the street..we used a borrowed come-a-long to pull it back into position so we could limp it home..

The next time I went to his house,he showed me his latest invention--a pair of "traction bars" he made from more pipe,pivot bolted from the center of the frame to the rear end,and he used two horse shoes around the rear axle tubes to connect the pipe to it--welded them right to the housing..it worked to keep the rear axle from moving again,but it wasn't long before the ring & pinion decided to lose all their teeth..he found another 9" chuck,but it had real high gearing,and the car was pretty lame compared to how it used to run...a few weeks later it finally spun a bearing ,that was the end of that car..

His father had bought a new Lincoln Continental,so he decided to give his son his '69 Ford LTD,which also had a 390 V8 and a C-6 automatic...that car also got the same abuse as his first..it was a real nice car,till he got hold of it..

One night several of his friends and I went riding around on back roads and we were drinking,as many dimwitted teens do when they think they are invincible--he started showing off and racing around,going way too fast on narrow bumpy roads,driving on the wrong side of the road in order to make the sharp curves--on one particularly bad curve we approached going over 70 mph on the wrong side of the road,we had the misfortune of another car coming at us out of nowhere,from the opposite direction...

He swerved,barely missed that car,but the car hit the soft shoulder and spun around 180 degrees,and we slid backwards,and hit a utility pole with the rear of the car dead center in the trunk..

I was sitting in the back seat in the middle,there was a girl on my right and another guy on my left--the rear window shattered,and the pole was about 18" away from my head!.....after the impact there was dead silence,and suddenly we heard a voice yelling outside the car..it was the driver of the other car we almost hit--"Are you OK",he kept repeating...finally the driver said "I'm not sure--HEY,are you guys OK"?..

One by one we answered "I think so"..the girl had cuts on her neck from the busted glass,I had a lump on the back of my head and a little blood,and the rest of them had escape with minor cuts & bruises...

I never went to the hospital,nor did I dare tell my parents about the accident..

The impact was so severe ,it actually broke the rear differential housing,the pole smacked the pumpkin so hard it cracked the housing at both axle tubes,and the drive shaft got shoved forward hard enough to bust off the tailshaft on the transmission..

His father was very angry at his son for totaling the car,but was glad none of us got hurt or killed..his son just said "I dont know dad,I guess I was just going too fast and the car spun out"..his dad suspected we'd been drinking,and we were surprised the cops that came didn't find the full and empty beer cans we pitched into the woods just before they got there..the other driver left in a big hurry,he said "as long as you guys are OK,and my car didn't even get a scratch--I'm leaving !"...He may have been drunk too ?..

My friend got a '63 Mercury Monterey after that,and he put the 390 from the LTD in it..he started driving crazy again,but the cops watched him very closely,and he racked up a pile of tickets in no time--soon his dad told him "look--I'm a lawyer,but someday the old man ain't gonna be able to bail you out,I'm not gonna live forever you know"..

The kid finally started wising up,after many of us refused to get in his car any more,and he couldn't go far without a cop tailing him..(I think his dad had them keep an eye on him,and many of the cops didn't like his son,because "dad" got a lot of the tickets "squashed"...)

Not that long after that,maybe 6 months or so--his dad died of a heart attack in his sleep..:eek:...

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Had a pretty good day yesterday--.

A local outdoor flea market I like going too was closing up for the season,yesterday was the last day--I usually go there on the last day because you can scoff up a lot of good stuff very cheap,the vendors often sell stuff cheap just top avoid lugging it home and storing it..

I risked the 25 mile trip in my old GMC,it actually made it there and back without any issues...

There was only about 50 vendors set up there,much less than the typical 200+ that are there,but most of them that did show up had the type of things I go looking for..

Saw many interesting things there,you never know what you'll find--one guy had a very old one cylinder Continental engine,that at first I thought was a REO,it had the slanted cylinder..it even ran good,he claimed..I thought it was cool,but for 50 bucks I wasn't interested in buying it...

By 10 am a lot of people were packing up already,it started off chilly at 7 am,then the sun went behind some clouds and the wind picked up and it felt much colder--it wasn't until after 10 am the sun came back out,and it felt much better--it was only 38 degrees..

I ended up buying quite a few items ,some I didn't really "need",but were priced too low to let slip by..here's what I ended up with..

First thing I saw was a brand new Gates/NAPA v-belt that fits my trucks alternator..
Price--one dollar!..

Two pairs of brand new tractor tire chains for 12" tires--10 bucks!

Not lug reinforced,or real heavy duty,they are 4 links too,but the same ones at Tractor Supply sell for 50 bucks a pair..

Ten LED work lights,the ones with a magnet that have a flashlight and a 27 LED work light--same as Harbor Freight sells...10 bucks,plus a free 8 pack of AA batteries..!
Those will likely be Christmas gifts,I gave friends and family those last year and they loved them..

Found a tray for a Craftsman tool box for a dollar..

Unfortunately this makes 3 of them I have bought,that do not fit my tool box..oh well--I can carry tools around the yard with them..still well worth a buck!..

I saw a guy selling nails,screws,bolts,and other hardware--he had a coffee jar full of brass compression unions and fittings,a good 10 lbs of them...he threw in a roll of copper tubing 1/4" about 8 feet long and a partial roll of solder,for 10 bucks !..
I know what those compression unions cost at stores--like 5 bucks for one or two,and solder is now over 20 bucks a roll...

The same guy also had an old 10 amp battery charger,identical to one I bought there a few years ago for 3 bucks--he wanted 5 bucks,I bought it--it works fine..

I bought a bunch of nails for two bucks too..about 15 bucks worth if I'd have gone to Ace Hardware and filled up a bag full..

Another vendor had a lot of new tools,some were Harbor Freight brand--
I bought a set of 8 impact sockets,short 3/8" drive ones for 7 bucks,and he had packages of assorted sawsall blades for 4 bucks a dozen--he took 10 for the sockets and the saw blades..

Another guy had a pile of 4 gauge cables with clamps like jumper cables on them--used on those "jump packs"--I have a Snap-On one that needed new clamps,so for a buck each I bought a red one and black one to replace mine...cha-ching,just what I needed!..

I spent about 50 bucks total--hated to spend money I should save,but I cant buy these things anywhere else that cheap,and I would have spent at least 30 bucks if I had gone to a concert last Friday that I ended up not going too--I felt this was a better bargain..(and the performer was rather ill that night too,and she couldn't sing well,and didn't hang around to sign autographs,so that made me feel better about missing the show)..

Also,while I was there talking to a few of the vendors I have gotten to know that set up there regularly,one of them was talking to a guy,who said "I'm looking for an industrial sewing machine"...

I spoke up and said "I might have just what your looking for--my mom who passed away had one,its been collecting dust for about 5 years,but it is in excellent condition"...he called me last night to get the model numbers off it,so he can look it up online and see if its suitable for the material he wants to use it on..so maybe I'll be able to sell that thing and put the money towards fixing the roof on the house..!

I miss "networking"...when I was working and was looking for a particular item,all I had to do was ask a few people "do you have one of these,or know someone who does?"--in no time I'd end up hearing from a friend of a friend,who had the very thing I was looking for,and usually for a low price,or even free...Craigslist cant compete with that..

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Sounds like you made out great yesterday Robert. I enjoy reading your stories and congrats on FMOM!

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Congratulations, Robert! I enjoy reading your posts, and wish there was something I could do to help with your vehicle or roof situation. Hope maybe you get a Christmas miracle!

Bill

21 - 40 of 71 Posts