My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I found a thread about this before, but I can't find it now.

I cut my grass with the deck up pretty high. When I cut, I get everything from the ground blowing back up out in front of the deck on me and in my face. Imagine just driving into a constant debris field of dirt, pollen, grass, etc. I have Gator blades as well, so that just makes it worse. (I'm just buying standard blades next time.)

Someone had came up with a solution that they said worked pretty good - something about using some kind of rubber sweep on the front. This kept everything from blowing out and over.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might use for this? Also not sure how I would attach to the deck.

I suppose most people cut with their deck lower than mine, so they don't have this problem. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Hey all,

I found a thread about this before, but I can't find it now.

I cut my grass with the deck up pretty high. When I cut, I get everything from the ground blowing back up out in front of the deck on me and in my face. Imagine just driving into a constant debris field of dirt, pollen, grass, etc. I have Gator blades as well, so that just makes it worse. (I'm just buying standard blades next time.)

Someone had came up with a solution that they said worked pretty good - something about using some kind of rubber sweep on the front. This kept everything from blowing out and over.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might use for this? Also not sure how I would attach to the deck.

I suppose most people cut with their deck lower than mine, so they don't have this problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
Check the front of your deck to make sure it isn't bent back. I bent mine when the front deck wheel caught on tree roots and it did the same to me until I bent it back out. I mow all the way up too.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Whatcha cutting with buddy? Helps if we know what you have.

Maybe your sig pic is your tractor...but I ain't got bifocals to see what model she is.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,815 Posts
Vinyl garage door bottom seal. Will bend if you hit something. Don't buy the rubber one.

Garage door seal.jpg

Can buy a 10 foot roll for a single garage door bottom at a big box hardware store.
Have to drill holes in front side of deck wall. :tango_face_surprise
Install the vinyl so it bends inside towards the deck.
Pop rivet the seal to deck. One rivet every 6 inches. 3/16” x 1/2” rivets do well.
Drill holes in vinyl to match holes in deck. Insert rivet from inside deck, through the vinyl. On outside put a small fender washer on the rivet first to hold the door seal. Gives more gripping force to the pop rivet to hold the vinyl. Can buy these in the pop rivet section. Find the right ones to fit your rivet size.
Let vinyl hang down an inch to an inch and a half below the bottom front edge of deck. More if your deck is higher.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Vinyl garage door bottom seal. Will bend if you hit something. Don't buy the rubber one.

View attachment 2372301

Can buy a 10 foot roll for a single garage door bottom at a big box hardware store.
Have to drill holes in front side of deck wall. :tango_face_surprise
Install the vinyl so it bends inside towards the deck.
Pop rivet the seal to deck. One rivet every 6 inches. 3/16” x 1/2” rivets do well.
Drill holes in vinyl to match holes in deck. Insert rivet from inside deck, through the vinyl. On outside put a small fender washer on the rivet first to hold the door seal. Gives more gripping force to the pop rivet to hold the vinyl. Can buy these in the pop rivet section. Find the right ones to fit your rivet size.
Let vinyl hang down an inch to an inch and a half below the bottom front edge of deck. More if your deck is higher.
Thanks for the idea. Why not the rubber one? Just curious.

I'd probably shy away from rivets and just use washers and bolts/nuts. Rivets are semi-permanent, while nuts and bolts and be removed if needed. I'll have to go stainless though, which fits well with a FastenAll right around the corner. I hate to drill holes through the front of the deck, but I don't think it's going to be a big deal.

Thanks again. I'll report what I do when I do it.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Don't know what deck you have but they do make anti blowout kits.Put one on my 62c deck that was doing the same with standard or gators.Made a big difference.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Make Better Mowers
1,962 Posts
Before I'd start drilling holes in my deck I'd try tilting the deck downward on the front some, thus making it easier for the debris to exit on the sides and rear.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Agree with the others that having the deck lower in front than the rear would help. The gator blades are just doing what they are designed to do and that is mulch the clippings into much smaller pieces so they decompose into the soil quicker.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Do you have the 48C mower deck? If so that deck is filthy! But try the anitblow out kit if it doesn't have it.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Before I'd start drilling holes in my deck I'd try tilting the deck downward on the front some, thus making it easier for the debris to exit on the sides and rear.
Holes are already in the deck,but we don't know exactly what deck he has either.Tipping the deck down in front isn't the answer.It should only be 1/8 lower than the rear.

·
Make Better Mowers
1,962 Posts
Holes are already in the deck,but we don't know exactly what deck he has either.Tipping the deck down in front isn't the answer.It should only be 1/8 lower than the rear.
Because he said he had the deck set ultra high, I'd think 1/2 to 3/4 inch down in front might work out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It's a nice item, but don't think it would work for your application. Reading the fine print in the description, you should use this item in conjunction with the Power Blower, which is another $700. It also says that one shouldn't use it with mulching blades, which the Gators are. This item also appears to only define the cutting circles of the blades and looks almost flush with the bottom of the deck.
What I'm assuming the others are speaking of is to attach a skirt from around the middle of the deck and around the front to the middle on the other side, hanging down below the bottom of the deck thereby making more of a containment of the mulched clippings.

·
Registered
411 Posts
AM133764 is the anti-blowout kit for the front of the 48C. I installed this on my 54C Edge along with high-lift blades and it made a surprising difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check the front of your deck to make sure it isn't bent back. I bent mine when the front deck wheel caught on tree roots and it did the same to me until I bent it back out. I mow all the way up too.
The average specification is that the front blade tip edge is 3/8" lower than the back tip of the blade. This helps deck leakage be rearward and performs the proper cut. Flat and forward will for sure feed your face!

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
This is what you need:

M155048 - Right Deflector

AM136744 - Left Deflector

03M7183 - Bolt x 8

14M7166 - Lock nut x 8

Look them up, and confirm with your local dealer they fit your specific deck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts