My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a half an hour to the dealer today to get hydraulic filter for my ZT HD Gravely. Place had a whole line of them in front of the store probably all take the same filter. do you think they would one have in stock? nope.
guess what evolution ag .. Amazon stocks them!

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,736 Posts
I always call first. The cost of having stock on hand has caused many dealers to have a very limited supply (1 or 2) of essentials and having suppliers that can deliver next day, sometimes even same day depending on location and routes. I know in my son's truck accessory biz, he can get same day delivery from a supplier in Albany area (85 miles away) if he calls by 10AM. That supplier has trucks that make daily afternoon deliveries in our area. And that company is just one of several he deals with. Almost impossible these days, because of variety and cost to hold on to large inventory. Now granted an oil filter is probably an exception to that, but then again that's why I always call ahead, and if they have it I'll pay over phone and tell them I'm on the way to pick it up.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
I've given up on my dealer (Ar-Jays here in Edmonton, AB), after the last time I tried to buy something from them. Phoned them to get a set of PTO belts for an Ariens powerbrush (which they sold me), they said they had stock, person even went back to check that they actually had them, I say great, I'll be right there to buy them, drive over (takes about 20 minutes), and....oh, we installed them on another machine. Do you want to order a set?

And ordering parts from them was also a train wreck, as they lose orders (the immediately previous order I made with them) or they don't actually order parts until it is convenient for them (time before that). I order some parts, ask for when they might get them in, guy looks up the parts, says from that supplier, it takes about a week. So I phone them in 10 days, nope, no parts, phone them every second day for a week, every day nope, no parts. Finally, I phone, and I get "Oh, I didn't know you wanted the parts right away. I'll go and order them now."

·
Registered
42 Posts
In fairness, inventory is a very high expense. Most likely your dealer has parts for the things he sells and services a lot of. Even good old TSC - they have some 8n parts available (only because 70 year old units are still out there doing a day's work, and there were about 4 billion of them built).

I wouldn't totally condemn a dealer for not having parts for machines he makes maybe $10K per year selling and servicing.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Some will not order parts till a minimum order has been reached from that supplier. Cost of freight is expensive for them also and large enough orders to get free freight keeps the price of parts down. If you need a two day delivery try Amazon and pay the freight rate.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I picked up a battery for my JD455 last week from dealer, $134.00 including $18.00 core charge. It was cheaper than I had found at NAPA, $174.00 and other premium batteries online. They also had spindle grease seals last fall, the cost of green is not the lowest but if they have what you want when you want it, there's something to say for that.

As for my Ingersoll 4018, I would not know which way to turn leaving my driveway to find a dealer.

I did make a futile drive a month or so back looking for a 20" bar for my Stihl 038 Super, I found numerous .050 gauge bars but no .063 bars which I have three new chains for. I should have called but now I know most new saws have went to .050 bars.

CCMoe

·
Registered
447 Posts
Someone mentioned fair, as in the dealer shouldn’t be expected to inventory parts for the machines he sells? Well OK, but then how fair is it that he orders and then adds 15-20% onto the suggested list price? It seems to me that dealers fair only works one way. Always what benefits him and not the customer. Then they wonder why the customers buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone mentioned fair, as in the dealer shouldn’t be expected to inventory parts for the machines he sells? Well OK, but then how fair is it that he orders and then adds 15-20% onto the suggested list price? It seems to me that dealers fair only works one way. Always what benefits him and not the customer. Then they wonder why the customers buy elsewhere.
Exactly right and I get that they cannot stock everything but if it's a commoditize type of part; filters etc they need to stock it. For the units that they're selling at least. Otherwise, exactly, why buy from them.

And why worry about buying from a local dealer if I've got to order off Amazon. I bought my mower from this place and they can't even sell me a set of blades unless I have the model number.

Trust me I know there are good dealers that Stock well and I'm not talking about those dealers. I'm just going to start going to those type of dealers

·
15,000 +posts!
19,608 Posts
Back when I worked in auto parts stores,we used to sell the local tractor & heavy equipment dealers filters all the time,they usually bought a case at a time if they were "fast moving items"...we sold them lots of motor oil & hydraulic fluid in bulk also..
For the most part they did not keep many filters in stock,their reasoning was there was too many different ones,and they'ed be collecting dust..

Since we could get filters they didn't stock from a warehouse,usually on the same day if we knew early enough,or the next day,they often had us get them a WIX or Baldwin filter and sell it to their customer at a large mark up--sometimes they would just send the customer to buy it from us if they were in a rush,and we had the filter in stock..

One parts store I worked in was as large as many of the warehouses we dealt with,so there wasn't that many things we had to special order,in fact several of the other smaller parts stores in the area with smaller inventories bought parts from us,used the store as their warehouse..

The boss had the mentality "if someone needed this part once,they'll need it again",and he'd re-order it,even if it meant having it sit on the shelf a long time before the next sale..he loved hearing us tell a customer "yeah,we have that in stock",when the customer said "I have tried everywhere and no one else stocks it--but you!"--and he hated hearing us say "We'd have to order that in for you"...

He had several different brands of filters,ignition parts,u-joints,etc,often he'd come out of the office if he heard one of us say we'd have to order something--he'd say "did you look it up in this brand ?--or this one"?..

9 times out of 10 he'd end up having the part in one brand or another,and I'd get a reaming if I had told the customer I'd have to order it..especially when our competitor would call a few minutes later asking if we had the same part in stock..
They would buy it from us at 10% over jobber cost,mark it way up,sell it to the customer,who'd then call us back and say "How come you had that part when (the competitor) called looking for it--but you'd have to order it when I asked for it--and its $10 more than the price you quoted me ?"...

Yeah,I don't miss that job much..:/

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I agree totally on consumable items, filters, belts, etc.

I stopped by the local Cub Cadet dealer a couple years back looking for an idler pulley, didn't have it. Went to the local Ace Hardware, he had two or three on the shelf.

Sometimes where you look matters also.

I was thinking in above post that if I had went to a long established Stihl dealer, they may have had the bar I was looking for. I had ordered a Carlton Bar from Bailey's several months ago, it will be delivered tomorrow, 6/9/19. As I normally do when I don't have item in hand, I find one that will ship now, so the Carlton Bar will be the third bar for this saw, I bought original Stihl and a Tsumari bar. I'm not sure if the saw or I will demise before I need another bar for this saw!

CCMoe

·
Registered
696 Posts
my JD Dealer is in the heart of the Thumb area of Michigan, Sugar Beets, corn, beans, and hay. They'd better have a stream of incoming filters for what they sell. Still, like many I call ahead since it is a 30 minute one way ride to their store. So far, all consumables have been in stock for my little X500 with the Kowasaki Twin. I just make my JD list along with the grocery trip, but call to be sure my JD stuff is there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Back when we had the acreage I always felt that the dealer choice and support was as important as the machine itself. We had a Deere dealership that always had all of the maintenance items (even for older stuff like the 210 I had). They also had a lot of the larger repair parts, and what they didn't have they could get overnight.

When I blew a headgasket on the 757 they had everything I needed except the actual head (I elected to replace rather than have it trued up). They ordered the head from another dealership about 40 miles away, and the delivery driver dropped it off at the house when he was on his way to my local dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts