My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was given an old saw today. What I have found so far: A 1954 David Bradley, 77CC, 4HP U4G. Missing recoil starter and air cleaner. The engine is locked according to the PO, but I can turn the flywheel about 1/2 a degree each way so I hope the "lock" is in the gearbox. Didn't pay a lot of attention to the IPL, was just happy to find it. Yes, I plan to restore it if I can get it running. If not, then it gets a cleanup and paint, and go on a display shelf. I will say it before someone else does :wwp::wwp::wwp: Well, here is a rough one but all I took tonight. Will get more later.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the identical saw but it's branded as a Sears. it's very loud at full throttle but sounds nice idling. take care of that 1/2" pitch chain, that stuff is getting rare. i believe those engines are cast iron bore, so the rings are probably just rusted to the cylinder. give it a good soak, clean it up, check the ignition, and i bet it will run. i see you don't have the air filter either. those are pretty rare it seems, make sure to get some filter on there before you cut with it.

here's mine:

tmm

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one is also branded Sears model 917.60044, which makes it a DB from that era, I think. I just took the plug out and she spins over by hand. Oiled it up and turned it with a drill and there is spark!!! Where theres spark, there hope. Still going to soak it for a while before I try and fire it.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the identical saw but it's branded as a Sears. it's very loud at full throttle but sounds nice idling. take care of that 1/2" pitch chain, that stuff is getting rare. i believe those engines are cast iron bore, so the rings are probably just rusted to the cylinder. give it a good soak, clean it up, check the ignition, and i bet it will run. i see you don't have the air filter either. those are pretty rare it seems, make sure to get some filter on there before you cut with it.

here's mine:

tmm
Is that your saw in a youtube video? And looking at the starter end, does the engine turn the same direction as the chain, or opposite due to an internal gear reduction drive? Just trying to save tearing it down to verify direction.

·
Registered
595 Posts
if the youtube video is by "themadmailler", that's me. check out my other video where i made an air filter for the saw so i could run it!

there are two gears inside the gearbox, so the engine would turn opposite of what a direct drive would.

tmm

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was pretty sure it was yours...the missing paint and dented tank matched....LOL. Thanks for the confirmation, I was pretty sure it turned opposite. I will try to spin and bark it tomorrow.

·
Registered
595 Posts
how's it running? my saw is running, check out the video i just made of it doing a cut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5zbnIISxLE

most reduction drive saws will turn opposite, but some (Homelite is the only one i know of for sure) use belts to drive the sprocket, so in that case they turn the same way.

once you run that gear drive for a while though, you'll know why gear drive didn't catch on! pretty powerful, but slow. don't forget to oil the gear drive when you use it!

tmm

·
Registered
595 Posts
they are pretty torquey, the gearbox definitely helps too.

however, i believe that most of these david bradley engines are low compression, roughly 90-110 PSI depeding on model...

tmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys. New to MTF. Got a Sears 917.60044 saw today and needed any information available. Is there and manuals, documents or service sheets? I'm also needing a pull start assembly for this machine.
Has a Power Products engine it seems but I don't know what model this is considered. U4G maybe. Don't know much about chainsaws.

I will try to attach some pics.

Thanks a lot,

slic Wheel Auto part Vehicle Machine Metal
Vehicle Construction equipment Car Machine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts