My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1966 Bolens 1050
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is David Teasdale, I live in the Eastern Townships of Quebec Canada, I own a 1966 Bolens 1050 with a Wisconsin 10RD engine, with the online help of Tom Martyn I was able to get the engine running again, Tom helped me understand the electronics of the ignition system and with that information the engine started right up. I bought a new ignition switch and am now waiting for the nut to hold it on so that I can install it and use it. I own a brand new Cub Cadet LT1046 and I am very disappointed with it, my old Bolens when it was running has a lot more power than the Cub Cadet. Presently the mower deck on my Bolens is seized up, it might be the PTO until I get the deck off I won't know.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome to MTF, glad to have you here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome from PEI.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum David of the great white north. yes those old bolens are built to last for ever. After Bolens sold there business to Troy Built they started making the M1 Abrams tank.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
By the way David you will find all the info you need to fix any thing on your Bolens right here and the guys here are very helpfull and have a lot of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to MTF. The mower deck may just have junk under the shrould that is preventing it from moving. 1050,s are one of my favorite gear driven Bolens ever made. I have 3 of them, one of which is a 1966 just like yours.

Jason

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
5,523 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
David, welcome. Lots of good knowledge here and new ideas also.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome!:Welcome1:

Cub Cadet LT1046 has 24 horse and the 1050 has 10 horse. Hmm. But to be fair, the Bolens when it was new sold for about 1/2 the price of a new car. One is a riding mower and the other is a tractor.

·
1966 Bolens 1050
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome!:Welcome1:

Cub Cadet LT1046 has 24 horse and the 1050 has 10 horse. Hmm. But to be fair, the Bolens when it was new sold for about 1/2 the price of a new car. One is a riding mower and the other is a tractor.
Yeah, I know, the cub cadet is supposed to be twice as strong but I have a lot of mowing to do and it sometimes gets long and thick and I used to go through it no matter what, with the Bolens but with the Cub Cadet I have to baby it through, I don't understand it either, strange, and the other thing with the Cub Cadet is the belt keeps coming off, very annoying. never had that trouble with the Bolens.

·
1966 Bolens 1050
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, yesterday I took the mowing deck off, and starting working the blades back and forth, I was able to free them up but while doing it I saw that mice had made a nest in the shroud so I have started taking it apart to get the nest out, check the belt, and lubricate, I was wondering about the gear box, is there oil in it that I need tol check or do I need to open the gear box to lubricate it?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There is a fill plug located on the back of the gearbox (the side facing the rear of the tractor). With the deck flat on the ground, fill the gearbox up to the fill plug. Also be sure and grease the spindles. for the blades.

Jason

·
1966 Bolens 1050
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jason, thanks, I can't find a manual for my mower deck, what do I put in the gear box, what kind of oil or is it grease that I put in?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Bolens says to run SAE 90 oil in it (gear oil). I have been using 80w-90 in it as that was what they had at walmart. Check the level before each use at least the first few times, just to make sure that there is no oil leak in it. What model is the deck? I can try and find you a manual.

Jason

·
1966 Bolens 1050
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bolens says to run SAE 90 oil in it (gear oil). I have been using 80w-90 in it as that was what they had at walmart. Check the level before each use at least the first few times, just to make sure that there is no oil leak in it. What model is the deck? I can try and find you a manual.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I am not sure what model it is, I tried to read the model number and the serial number but they weren't stamped very hard because there is no impression on the sticker at all. It is the original mower deck for the 1050, I believe it is 36 or 38 inches, I don't have any photos of it yet but I will get some. The tractor is on a piece of land I own there is no house or building and I have two acres of lawn that I mow there, so the next time I go there, I will have photos, maybe later today.

Thanks again,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts