My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All. I have a David Bradley which I've finally completed rebuilding the engine, after scouring the U.S. for parts. I'm having trouble getting the throttle cable connected correctly. Also, the clutch pad for the sickle mower has parted company with us. I've seen them on ebay for $45, but I've also seen clutch pads for $15. Has anyone bought tires for these tractors? I know there are some in Toledo, but they're $172 each, ouch. My engine is a Briggs model 8. The numbers on the tag are: 917.57561, series# 296. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Have you ever been on FaceBook..?? If not, this may be a good reason to join. There are more than several David Bradley pages/groups on there. Lots of info to be found there..!! I grew up with David Bradley's since the 50's, and still learn something every now and then. I personally have 20-some of them, different models, in stages from one's that are all original, some repowered, and some for parts. I have 5 different one's I use in the garden, mainly to cultivate. Each one has different shovels, for different stages of plant growth. Instead of changing out a cultivator, on one tractor, I just grab another tractor. I plant in stages, so plants are different sizes, and may require changing out cultivators 2-3 times for a couple hours of cultivating. Lots easier to just get another tractor out. I even converted one to a transplanter for setting tomato, and pepper plants, or just about any vegetable plants. Getting up in years, my old back and knee's surely appreciate it.

Check ebay for tires. You can buy sets of R-1 tires, some include tubes at times for that price. I've been eyeing a set myself, which I should get ordered before they run out. Most include free shipping.

There was a fellow who sold new clutch discs on ebay out of Texas, but, were in the $40-some price range. They appeared to be slip clutch disc's, he'd modified by cutting rounded notches in them to match the clutch plates. I needed a set, that had no notches for one of mine several years ago. I spent about 45 minutes looking through slip clutch disc's on A&I aftermarket parts, going by the I.D & O.D, and thickness dimensions to try on one of mine. They worked fine, but had to do some adjusting during a short period of break in time. It was $8.00 for the set at the time. Sounded a lot better than $40+ ea., or saw where some made them out of flooring tiles. And the idea of using something that was made for that type of use, seemed to make sense, and should last a lifetime.

There's a great bunch of guy's on the FB groups, from newbies, to older guy's like me who's been using them for years. I still find I can learn something new from these groups. Amazing the attachments they had for them. I've made quite a few friends on there, a couple I have bought attachments they've seen local to me. I'll buy, and store until they have time to come and get them, since it's a 300 mile drive, one way. We've bought, swapped, etc. I think you'd really enjoy joining up..!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever been on FaceBook..?? If not, this may be a good reason to join. There are more than several David Bradley pages/groups on there. Lots of info to be found there..!! I grew up with David Bradley's since the 50's, and still learn something every now and then. I personally have 20-some of them, different models, in stages from one's that are all original, some repowered, and some for parts. I have 5 different one's I use in the garden, mainly to cultivate. Each one has different shovels, for different stages of plant growth. Instead of changing out a cultivator, on one tractor, I just grab another tractor. I plant in stages, so plants are different sizes, and may require changing out cultivators 2-3 times for a couple hours of cultivating. Lots easier to just get another tractor out. I even converted one to a transplanter for setting tomato, and pepper plants, or just about any vegetable plants. Getting up in years, my old back and knee's surely appreciate it.

Check ebay for tires. You can buy sets of R-1 tires, some include tubes at times for that price. I've been eyeing a set myself, which I should get ordered before they run out. Most include free shipping.

There was a fellow who sold new clutch discs on ebay out of Texas, but, were in the $40-some price range. They appeared to be slip clutch disc's, he'd modified by cutting rounded notches in them to match the clutch plates. I needed a set, that had no notches for one of mine several years ago. I spent about 45 minutes looking through slip clutch disc's on A&I aftermarket parts, going by the I.D & O.D, and thickness dimensions to try on one of mine. They worked fine, but had to do some adjusting during a short period of break in time. It was $8.00 for the set at the time. Sounded a lot better than $40+ ea., or saw where some made them out of flooring tiles. And the idea of using something that was made for that type of use, seemed to make sense, and should last a lifetime.

There's a great bunch of guy's on the FB groups, from newbies, to older guy's like me who's been using them for years. I still find I can learn something new from these groups. Amazing the attachments they had for them. I've made quite a few friends on there, a couple I have bought attachments they've seen local to me. I'll buy, and store until they have time to come and get them, since it's a 300 mile drive, one way. We've bought, swapped, etc. I think you'd really enjoy joining up..!!
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you've got quite a nice collection. I'm just learning to use this thing, so far its been a cardio workout, hahaha. I know there was a site a number of years ago where the guy who owned it had tons of info for the Bradleys on it. He must've taken it off as I haven't seen it in years. I like the idea of buying an $8 dollar disc and altering it, I believe that's the way I'll go. I've just been out back trying to break ground, I think I'll bite the bullet and order the tires, I believe they'll help immensely. Do you have any with the model 8 engine? Thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you've got quite a nice collection. I'm just learning to use this thing, so far its been a cardio workout, hahaha. I know there was a site a number of years ago where the guy who owned it had tons of info for the Bradleys on it. He must've taken it off as I haven't seen it in years. I like the idea of buying an $8 dollar disc and altering it, I believe that's the way I'll go. I've just been out back trying to break ground, I think I'll bite the bullet and order the tires, I believe they'll help immensely. Do you have any with the model 8 engine? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
As my Dad taught me years ago, you need to learn how to work it, and not let it work you. Depending on the attachment, it can be a load on the handlebars to turn, would probably be the hardest part. A front mounted counter weight will balance the weight, and make it a lot easier to handle. As luck would have it, after gathering up a couple different sizes of scrap plastic sewer line from a local sewer project I was going to make a few up, filling with concrete, I found an OEM Bradley front weight at an auction. It slips in the slots on the front of the frame. I may still have to make one, as I plan on using a Southern Cultivator I got late last year. It has extra framework, so will be a bit heavier than the regular ones. I'll just have to try it, and see.

I know well of the sit you speak of. And the fellows name is Nelson Johnsrud. The cost to keep that site up got so expensive, he let it drop. He is also a member of several of the DB FB pages. I connected with him on there, and he actually sent me a CD of all what was on that page. I'm thinking all of that info is now in file sections of one, or more of those pages. I highly recommend joining up..!! A lot of nice folks on there, that can answer any questions you may have.

As a matter of fact, I do have one with a Model 8 Briggs, but is a 560. Bought it from a fellow who's Dad used it to plow the drive in front of the feed mill he operated, up until just over 20 years ago. He saved it for his son for a project, when he got older. I bought it about a year ago. The son told me he. and his son were into larger farm tractors, and just lost interest in it. It had not run in at least 20 years. I brought it home, and put it in the shop for a later project. Thank goodness it had been stored inside all of that time.

First thing I checked, was for spark. It had spark, but was weak. Pulled the shroud, and buffed the flywheel magnet with my 1/4" air die grinder with a medium roloc gasket removal disc. Way easier, and faster than a piece of fine sandpaper. I pulled the ignition coil pickup, and buffed it too. The easiest way to set the air gap on one, rotate the flywheel magnets a 1/4 turn away put the pickup back on, then reinstall the pickup raise it up as high as it will go, and just tighten the screws enough to hold it up. Rotate the magnets back up. Place an index card between the two, loosen the screws, and let the magnet pull the pickup down against the index card. Snug the screws on the pickup. Turn the flywheel, while pulling on the index card to remove it, and you are done. It doesn't get much easier than that. If you read the B&S repair manual, it actually states using an index card to set the air gap.

I then checked the gas tank, which was nearly pristine inside. I removed the carb. for a good cleaning. It to was a lot better shape inside than I expected. Just a bit of sediment in the bowl, so hit it with some carb cleaner, and all of the ports, and made sure the float needle valve was clean. I put about a quart of gas in the tank, and took a little 10 minute break to let the gas fill the bowl, and make sure the bowl gasket would seal. No leaks, so set the throttle to about 1/3, full choke, put the pull rope on it, and one the second pull, got a pop. Backed the choke off to about 1/4 choke, and on the 3rd pull it fired up. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with it. Enough to make this short video of it running, to send to the previous owner. He and his Dad were really pleased I got it running, and will be using it in the garden. Here's the video...
Note, there is no smoke from the exhaust, so I figure it has pretty low hours on it, and should last me as long as I need it..!!

I plan to use it in the garden this summer, on one of the 3 many cultivators I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts