My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are signs of a bunch of equipment mounted on and in the vehicle, that has been removed, with empty holes and cut wiring harnesses. Right now, it's displaying a key security problem, most likely due to not having a battery in it for some time (hopefully), so it doesn't even crank and code readers don't work.

I bought a battery for it, to try going through the process I found that may get past the security problem, but I decided to first clean the engine compartment.

Here's how it was:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Wood Artifact Trunk Pattern

Everything has a thick layer of caked on dirt on it. The ecu is missing it's protective cover and is also covered in dirt. The above pic also shows the steering gear, which is completely encased in dirt, there are also some wiring harnesses in there.

There's electrical connectors all over the compartment, so I started with just using the hose with a nozzle to try getting it off. No dice. It's all hard packed, dried on dirt, the water just hits it and runs off. Switched to my 3k psi pressure washer w 40 degree hose (vs narrower nozzle, didn't want to really have focused high pressure spray), and that started getting it off.

45 minutes of spraying later:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Gas

Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Wood Hose

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Gas

It's a lot better, tomorrow I'll give it another go with the pressure washer, as there are a bunch of spots I missed (it was dark out when I did this, holding a troubleshooting light while pressure spraying...).

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the look of it, I would guess the mud is from multiple trips on gravel roads, in a mix of sun and rain, behind other vehicles, and never getting cleaned up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sometimes the body control module needs to be replaced or reprogrammed when the battery is unhooked for a long time. This happend to me with a 2008 silverado 1500 while I had the engine apart for a few weeks with the battery unhooked. Towed to the dealer and they either reflashed or replaced the BCM. Good luck with the build. Hope it was priced according to its condition.

·
Super Moderator
16,764 Posts
I seen a whole lot worse brought back to a viable vehicle. I look forward to your project. (y)

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you get it going Dave. Its quite the mess.
Any thought that it may have been a "flood Vehicle" ?
It probably isn't, as the interior isn't in a similar condition, and it's fairly dirty, looking used, not like the inside was detailed and they just didn't bother with the engine and underside of the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
I better go along for the ride, any pictures of the passenger seat!

CCMoe

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice project! I never heard of anything smaller than the venerable 6 litre going in the HD trucks.

That truck was swamped at some point. I've driven gravel roads and goat trails since I started driving. Never had caked on mud build up like that.

Go through your harness connections to inspect foe corrosion or broken terminals. Then check all underwood, engine and then chassis grounds. If no luck, talk with a dealer or reputable independent mechanic to see if you need a case relearn or if maybe they had some botched command start or security system.

Once she is running I suggest the basics first like all fluids, plugs, oxygen sensors and even knock sensors. I know the older motors had issues with moisture, mud and mice nesting under the intake, rotting the knock sensor harness and sensors themselves. Causes all sorts of poor running issues.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, did more pressure washing during the day, so more of the engine and frame is clean. I expect there's still a bunch of dirt/mud hidden all over the engine bay, as it generally will only come off with direct spray. At least some of the radiators up front were plugged, the pressure washer did improve the situation, but I'll have to take them apart and put more focused effort into cleaning them later.

Hooked up the battery w a battery maintainer on it, and then put on my computer to use Autogenuity w gm enhancement to scan the computers in the truck for codes.

The ones that are blocking me right now are the theft-system related ones, B3060 Unprogrammed transponder identification code received and P06333 Immobilizer key not programmed. From what I can tell, someone lost the key to the vehicle, and just made up a new key, and didn't/couldn't get the truck programmed to learn the new key.

·
Super Moderator
32,880 Posts
Well, did more pressure washing during the day, so more of the engine and frame is clean. I expect there's still a bunch of dirt/mud hidden all over the engine bay, as it generally will only come off with direct spray. At least some of the radiators up front were plugged, the pressure washer did improve the situation, but I'll have to take them apart and put more focused effort into cleaning them later.

Hooked up the battery w a battery maintainer on it, and then put on my computer to use Autogenuity w gm enhancement to scan the computers in the truck for codes.

The ones that are blocking me right now are the theft-system related ones, B3060 Unprogrammed transponder identification code received and P06333 Immobilizer key not programmed. From what I can tell, someone lost the key to the vehicle, and just made up a new key, and didn't/couldn't get the truck programmed to learn the new key.
Working at a car dealer for the years that the transponder keys first came into be, I learned I hated them more and more every year!! Good luck!

·
MTF Member
1,281 Posts

What does the oil look like and the antifreeze in the radiator ?
Just hearing you say that part of the radiator was plugged almost makes you think it sat in a flood..

·
Premium Member
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What does the oil look like and the antifreeze in the radiator ?
Just hearing you say that part of the radiator was plugged almost makes you think it sat in a flood..
I actually haven't check the oil/coolant, so IDK. The radiators up front have a bunch of dirt in them, presumably the stuff that passed through them and then baked onto everything in the engine compartment. The only reason I don't think the truck was sitting underwater is because the cab doesn't show signs of it. The cab is still dirty from use, but none of the dirt/mud is inside. And the same mud is mostly on the front parts, and outside parts, between the frame rails the bed wasn't that dirty.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts