My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 5024 a week or so ago for a few bucks and I'm trying to determine the year. The serial# starts with 279
It's got a D-433 motor on it which is correct for this model#

I can't find any records of serials with 279 in the 70's. They're all in the early 60's
Anyone that is a master decoder on these?
I'm assuming it's a early 70's just based on the numeric number but I really have no idea

Geoff

· Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,789 Posts
Where was the mower produced? Could be if it was produced in Canada the numbering system is different. Looks like in the States they were made from 1975 through 1981. Bill

· 5K Poster!!!!
5,473 Posts
Where was the mower produced? Could be if it was produced in Canada the numbering system is different. Looks like in the States they were made from 1975 through 1981. Bill
I was going to say the same thing, the serial numbers of the U.S. produced 5024s seem to match the years that the manuals say they were produced (1975 through 1981), which we know during some time periods is really not true for some models. The Canadian produced mowers seem to be another animal though. I would bet though that your 5024 was produced about the same time range that ours was produced. I have tried to research Canadian Lawnboys on the internet to learn more about them, but unfortunately there seems to be no sources out there to educate us on the Canadian Lawnboys.

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it running today. The carb was a bit of a mess when I got it so I did a cleaning and added new float and needle and seat.
Runs fine now. Need to tighten up the recoil a few turns but other than that runs nice.
Looking forward to cutting some grass with it next spring.

· 5K Poster!!!!
5,473 Posts
So no one has any idea what year this thing likely is? I don't have a clue
With the serial number starting in "2", if could very well have been made in 1982. That would be just one year out of the range of the U.S. produced 5024. I don't think there is any historical data available that is definitively going to give us manufacturing dates on Canadian Lawnboys. It would be nice to have a former employee of your Peterborough factory to join our forum, maybe they could shed some light.

Glad you got it running good. I absolutely love to cut with mine. I have learned that setting the governor to the max range without going significantly over the the rated RPM's is key to getting the most power out of these D-400's, and with the variable speed D-400's it's much easier to achieve. What I do is set the governor lever-to-rod distance at the max range of 3/16" with the governor adjust tool, then, if necessary I bring down the speed to 3200 RPM's by bending the variable speed lever to decrease tension on the variable speed spring. The D-433 fixed speed engines are a little more time consuming to get right since you have to go back under the flywheel to adjust the speed each time, but once you find that sweet spot they sure do hunker down when they hit the heavy stuff, and when I say heavy I mean hybrid Bermuda, or St. Augustine. I'm not sure if you guys have real tough grasses to cut up there in Canada. From my experiences of living in Kentucky and Texas, the warm season grasses are more than double the load to cut than the cool season stuff.

· Registered
25 Posts
According to the lawnboy website, its a 1980, but mine is also listed as a 1980 and i was sure it was older.
It might be based on USA serial numbers, the american #s are 1 digit longer.

I have a 5024 serial # 177905, canadian built.
Mine has a factory original green plastic gastank, as well as a green plastic flywheel screen, that may help to date it.
I have always been interested in the color too, it is different, not as bright as the grabber color of the US models.

Any pictures of yours?
Here is mine, currently undergoing a full on resto.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey lawnboyguru I actually don't have any pics of mine at the moment. Most of my mowers are all up in the loft still from winter. When I pull them all down next month I'll snap a pic for you
Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6,789 Posts
Here is a picture of one of mine. It is a 1977. My 1975 is actually kind of a mixture of an older short block with the extended crankcase and some newer parts. Bill

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice machine Bill
I've always liked that one.
I wonder what year they changed from the metal air breather style to the plastic one. Maybe the did it the same year they change from the metal gas tank to the plastic one.
Geoff

6,789 Posts
All of the information on the Lawnboy site shows the metal filter housing up through 1981. Not sure when the plastic housing came into play. Bill

· 5K Poster!!!!
5,473 Posts
I was going to say the same as Bill. The parts catalogue never showed the plastic air cleaners on the bricks, but I know they came standard on the 1977 bricks, at least on my 7024. Someone stated that they came in around the same time as the plastic fuel tanks, around 1975, and I think that's probably correct.

6,789 Posts
I searched ereplacementparts.com and could find the plastic housing and cover as early as 1970 on a model 5269 so they were listed back that far. Again, not sure when they started using them on the Bricks. Bill

· Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know on my 5239 it came with the larger metal air breather in 1970 and 71 but after that they all went plastic on that model. I know it's not a brick but it is pretty much the same motor series etc
I've also had a couple mid 70's bricks and they've all all had the plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.