put it in the mud
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a webwit that sells the plastic dashboard for a 990mines gone
and i needa new one thanks guys

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had good success patching mine up with fiberglass/epoxy. The top corners and a number of edges were missing and there were a lot of cracks throughout. I'd be happy to provide tips, but your own success is somewhat dependent on how much of the original dashboard is left; if it's completely missing you're kinda SOL.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
One post here I saw awhile ago,A guy transplanted a Craftsman tractors dash into his MTD and it looked almost factory,it was steel too!..might want to try searching for that thread,and start hunting down a "donor" at a mower shops parts "boneyard"..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello. I'm new to this forum & have a brand new dash for a 990 in the original
shipping box for sale. I bought it from M T D when I was restoring my 2 990's.
Do you still need one?

·
put it in the mud
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i do need it still i got some dash i got rigged up for now but it would be nice to have the original do you have any pics of it and how much?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have vacuum forming capabilities at my shop, and do plan on forming some out of ABS plastic in the future. Just tonite I got a parts tractor from Vince and will fix up the dash and use it to make my forming plug.

Stay tuned, I'm making massive progress on my two tractor projects.

Scott

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
One post here I saw awhile ago,A guy transplanted a Craftsman tractors dash into his MTD and it looked almost factory,it was steel too!..might want to try searching for that thread,and start hunting down a "donor" at a mower shops parts "boneyard"..
That was jBAIN, just put his name in the search feature and you can find the thread.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am working on the plugs as we speak and will be pulling some in the next few weeks. I am making two styles, one will be cut stock and one will have a revised guage placement with provisions for a hydro temp gauge and set up with a modern switch set up for the accessories as well as a 12 adaptor for cell phone charging etc. They wont go quite as far down past the center frame cover sheet metal as it is not necessary. They will be black ABS with a slight texture to the outside, it is very durable. I need three of them and will pull some extras. It will not be a money maker as I have many cad and cnc hours in to the replica used for the plug, and I have alot of money invested in the drier to dry out the sheet so it wont blister. I will pull as many as material allows and will offer the others to forum members who have a soft spot for the 990's and plan on keeping them, not for people to sell on ebay. My last project like this went south out of someones greed, and I saw my stuff on ebay, he sold the first ones and then figured he could just order a bunch more for the other orders he commited himself to. I never got paid for what he had, so I sawed up all his next order in to small pieces with instructions where they should be inserted and shipped them to him. I still get calls about the parts and refer everyone to him, as I got the ones I needed. Greed is a bad thing, it ruins alot of good things.

Scott

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I am working on the plugs as we speak and will be pulling some in the next few weeks. I am making two styles, one will be cut stock and one will have a revised guage placement with provisions for a hydro temp gauge and set up with a modern switch set up for the accessories as well as a 12 adaptor for cell phone charging etc. They wont go quite as far down past the center frame cover sheet metal as it is not necessary. They will be black ABS with a slight texture to the outside, it is very durable. I need three of them and will pull some extras. It will not be a money maker as I have many cad and cnc hours in to the replica used for the plug, and I have alot of money invested in the drier to dry out the sheet so it wont blister. I will pull as many as material allows and will offer the others to forum members who have a soft spot for the 990's and plan on keeping them, not for people to sell on ebay. My last project like this went south out of someones greed, and I saw my stuff on ebay, he sold the first ones and then figured he could just order a bunch more for the other orders he commited himself to. I never got paid for what he had, so I sawed up all his next order in to small pieces with instructions where they should be inserted and shipped them to him. I still get calls about the parts and refer everyone to him, as I got the ones I needed. Greed is a bad thing, it ruins alot of good things.

Scott
Scott
I wish you would make then to stock hight specs. Then they would work on the 760-960 also, since they use the same dash, only the 990 sheet metal covers the bottom more than the stick shift brothers do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glen,
It becomes an awful deep pull then and uses a **** load of extra material, which gets cut off and thrown away. Let me see what I can do. The 990's deserve their own anyway dont ya think, but its nice you think of their Hydraulically disadvantaged brothers.

Scott

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Glen,
It becomes an awful deep pull then and uses a **** load of extra material, which gets cut off and thrown away. Let me see what I can do. The 990's deserve their own anyway dont ya think, but its nice you think of their Hydraulically disadvantaged brothers.

Scott
Scott

Yes the 990 was MTD's top dog, but the 60 series tractors were just as neat and tuff, except for the same lame plastic dash. I just thought if you built them to stock spec's, more people could enjoy your work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts