My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm looking at a '69 Ford 3000, gas in VGC for $3,800 with the exception of a badly dented oil pan. I've read this can damage the oil pump. Have driven it twice and the oil pressure light comes on then off when I started it. Engine sounds fine so can I assume the pump is functioning properly or could there still be an issue? If I buy it should replace the pan? Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If it was mine i'd put a oil pressure gauge on it and check the pressure at idle and at high RPM. If the pan is dented bad enough on the bottom of the pan where the oil pickup is it can restrict the oil flow to the oil pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was mine i'd put a oil pressure gauge on it and check the pressure at idle and at high RPM. If the pan is dented bad enough on the bottom of the pan where the oil pickup is it can restrict the oil flow to the oil pump.
Thanks. Can you walk me through how to do that?

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Remove the oil pressure sender switch for the warning light, which is located in the left side of the block near the oil filter and install a pressure gauge there instead. Or you can add a tee fitting in the block if you want to keep both the warning light and the gauge installed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks. Can you walk me through how to do that?
Since I'm not familiar with your tractor or engine i'm not sure where the locations would be to tap into the engine for the gauge. You could probably find the sensor that's for the oil pressure light and unscrew it, then get a "T" and screw the sensor into the "T" and also the fitting for the gauge.

They make 2 different kinds of gauges one is called a mechanical oil pressure gauge and will have a plastic tube that sends oil to the gauge. It would be the easiest to install but you have to make sure to run the tube so it won't be near hot things.

The other one is a electric gauge which will have a sensor that will screw into the "T" and then a wire that goes to the gauge. At the gauge you'll have to find a place where you can get a wire that has power with the key on and also you'll need a good ground to run a wire to the gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts