My Tractor Forum banner

dad picked up some new toys

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  boyesreef 
#1 ·
im not sure how many of you guys have seen either of these goodies, its a first for both for me

first, the chain saw. left handed box with the through bolt. this makes it i believe a first generation saw. it came with the oiler, but not pictured.

anyone know what the hydraulic hose was for?

next we have a genuine gravely tractor cover. going from documentation i think its from the 1960's. its got a couple small holes in it but i think it could be used if you wanted to.

:thThumbsU

See less See more
#5 ·
Is that a Model 52 drive on the chainsaw? I think they only made those for one year, maybe two. The giveaway is the top with the longer shaft.

The tractor cover is pretty neat, too. I missed out on the nicest one I've ever seen when I was outbid on a Postal LI down here.

#7 ·
I'm not sure, honestly. You could check the early 30" mower IPL and see if there are any numbers unique to the Model 52. I remember that Gravely changed parts a lot from starting out with the Model 52 and ending with the model 57, even though the later mower drives all look pretty similar. I've attached a photo I took of the same mower drive on a nice tractor at the 2013 Mow-In. Excuse the wide-angle fish eye lens that I had on my camera. If I'm remembering correctly, it's a 1952 L with the Model 52 mower. The usual gang with the impressive older L/D collection own this one.

Also, does anyone know if the earliest chain saw used what most of us refer to as the early circular saw drive? I've seen a couple of chain saws mounted on those, which I'm guessing would've been before the 30" mower drive existed yet.

Attachments

#8 ·
I can't say that I've seen that drive before.

I have the mount, bar and the circular saw drive. Eventually I'll fit the modern bar, chain and sprocket and make mine functional.

#10 ·
Wasn't there an article in a recent gazette on how to modify the chainsaw for a current bar?

#12 ·
That drive is a gravely left handed drive. I'm not sure about the big parts on the top of the vertical shaft. It's the same drive that is in the old manual picture posted here, but with the extra parts. It's Gravely, because I've seen a lot of them like that. I've never had one in real life so I don't know the function of the extra parts.

It's a great score though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.