My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5124 LB that is supposed to have a D409 engine but which now has a D601 engine. The PO that changed the engine (and everything from the deck up) left the D400 series muffler underneath. I'm wondering if that affects anything. The mower is seeking rather then running smooth, but I'm thinking it is a carb issue rather then muffler. I checked the exhaust ports and they are clean. I have spare D600 powered mowers so I can steal an exhaust system if necessary.

What I want is a 19" deck with D600 motor. I have a 5271, but it's the deck with the single height adjust lever that sticks through the back of the deck and I'm not sure if I like that idea. I'm tall and have visions of the lever getting caught in a tree branch, the deck moving up, and a toe getting mulched.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replied to PM. Sorry for the misunderstanding, here is a clarification:

-I have the 19" deck I want: 5124
-It has the engine I want: D601
-but it has a D400 muffler as the PO switched out the original D409 engine for the D601 but didn't switch the engine mount plate that bolts to the deck

Will this cause a problem?
The engine is hunting. I think it's a carb issue, but could the incorrtect muffler make it worse?
The three exhaust ports and muffler can are clean.

The spare D600 mufflers are all on non-running engines which are mounted to 5271 type mower decks (single lever rear height adjustment).

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I personally think that the D-600 should run fine with the D-400 style muffler. I could be wrong though as I've never done it....I don't see how it could cause a problem though.

I would tell you to remove the carb and go through it completely with a can of carb cleaner and some compressed air. Re-install and try it.....Be sure to clean the jets really good though as I think that is where your problems may be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts