My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so im working on a D400 iron horse engine at the moment. It had a rather scored piston in it along with stuck rings. Its a 606607 piston (the 2 ring version). Ive tried and tried to find a new piston but they seem to be a little difficult to get here in New Zealand now. Ive got several other D500's which ive stripped and have found stuffed pistons in as well, so id like to replace them all if i could.

Does any one know if the F series piston can be modified to work? From the information ive found the only differences between the D and F pistons are a thicker top ring on the F series and a slightly larger diameter (~ 18 thou bigger). Any reason i can't have one machined down to fit? Or even bore the cylinder out instead? That said.. the cylinder diameters between D and F series appear to be the same size, 2.380 - 2.3810. The compression ratios are also different between the D and F series but im assuming thats to do with the head more so than the piston?

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
That's a real good question...I have always assumed that they are NOT interchangable, but I can't say for sure. Later on today I think I'll measure all the critical dimensions on the two to see just what the differences are other than that top ring groove placement and shape.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Hmmm, I hate to be neg but I have my doubts about it working. It would be a risky discovery if it works though...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Well I just did the side by side comparision on the D and F series piston and I would say for sure that they are not interchangeable. The only dimensions that they have in common are wristpin hole and diameter, all others are way different. Two big issues are the height of the F being much taller and the placement of the wristpin hole is way higher up on the F piston and would drastically effect timing and compression ratios. If you were to install an F series piston in a D series engine in my opinion you would never be able to meet mininum compression to even get it to fire, not to mention how timing would be effected. I can take a pic of the two side by side if you like so that you can see the differences for yourself. Right now I just don't have time to post a pic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow.. ok.. thanks for that. i guess it helps a lot actually having one to compare it with. i wont bother buying one of the f series ones then.. lol.

i might have to look at using a one of those combined shipping services to get some from the company linked above. i guess if i buy a few the shipping cost per piston works out better.

thanks for the help :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts