My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new Cub Cadet LTX1050 last week with the 24hp kohler and 50 inch cut. I have 30 days to return it. Seems like a good mower but the small rear wheels are giving me some traction trouble on my rugged Kentucky landscape. I'm thinking a larger model with the wider and taller 22' wheels will serve me better.

So I'm considering a trade in for a JD D170. Now I realize these aren't a tuff as nails dealership garden tractor but I just need one for mowing and pulling a small yard wagon. I read somewhere that the D170 shares a better hydro transmition with the x series. Is that correct?? I'm a little worried about how long the cubs tranny will last after reading some pitiful reviews on them. I can't afford the toughest JD model they make but would like to get the biggest and tuffest residential mower I can get. I'm also 6'2 and had 3 back surgeries so large and comfortable is a must. I passed on a d140 when I bought the 1050 cub because the cub felt bigger and more comfort. I haven't sat on a D170 yet though.

Anyway is there any d170 owners that can testify how well these hold up and perform?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can't speak for the D170 specifically but I have been happy with my LA165 which is slightly smaller but in the same "100 Series" category. I belive the D170 has the same tranny, the K46. The K46 has gotten some bad press but if used as intended as a "lawn tractor", there are also plenty of stories of longevity. I have about 210 hours on mine and it seems to run as good as when it was new. I mow and snowblow with it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you've got the budget for a D170, maybe check into a gently used X300 that would have some remaining warranty. It will be more than the 170 but there IS a difference between the two. The X still has the same k46 tranny but a much beefier frame, better seat etc. If you want larger and more comfortable, I'd check it out.

·
Penn State Puller!
2,796 Posts
My LA150 is the older version of the D170. Same tractor basically. It's an OK machine but I've really worn her out because of the various heavy tasks I put her to around my property. Just use it as a lawn mower, don't run it too hard, and only pull light loads. Also make sure to keep her serviced and you will get the most life out of her. My LA150 was a lemon from the factory so despite the fact that she cuts good, I've had different problems for the past 5 years.

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
I've got a D160, slightly smaller deck and what... 2(?) less horsepower?

It's been great. I'll wrote more later- but I just wanted to let you know they're very nice basic machines.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love my D170 so far, only have 10 hrs but mowing 4 acres is a breeze with it. The 170 has a nice seat with a lumbar adjustment and will slide back a ghost ways.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts