My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've tried a search and didn't come up with much. I am new to the forum, and found some very good and useful information, so i decided to join.

I just sold my L120, which had a smoked front end (bearings were toast, and transaxle was probably ready to go at almost 400 hours).

What i am looking for is a answer to this:

1. Does the D160 have busings, or bearings in the front axle?

2. Why upgrade to the X300 for over $1000 if it still has the K46 transaxle, other then the 400 hour warranty?

My intensions are to mow the lawn (3/4 of an acre lot, flat, but a little rough meaning bumpy), maybe put a plow on it for the winter, and ocasinally pull a small deere trailer for brushing.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hi Guys

I've tried a search and didn't come up with much. I am new to the forum, and found some very good and useful information, so i decided to join.

I just sold my L120, which had a smoked front end (bearings were toast, and transaxle was probably ready to go at almost 400 hours).

2. Why upgrade to the X300 for over $1000 if it still has the K46 transaxle, other then the 400 hour warranty?

My intensions are to mow the lawn (3/4 of an acre lot, flat, but a little rough meaning bumpy), maybe put a plow on it for the winter, and ocasinally pull a small deere trailer for brushing.
Can answer on the bushings vs bearings. I agree on the upgrade.

Although the x300 has the kawasaki engine that a lot of people are in love with.
If I were shopping for a mower in that category, I would go with a higher end D series before an x300 to save money. They may have slightly better ergonomics tho.

If you wanted to go up to a model with a K58 trans i could see it. But i would not pay another 1000 for the x 300 .

Plus i think the D160 looks better anways with the larger rims.
Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha...That is funny that you mentioned the wheels and tires. It does look better IMO.

The main thing i am concerned with is the front axle question. It seems as though they are extremely similar, and can't seem to justify the additional $1000. That is why i find it to be such a critical question. Bearings vs Busings is huge, but i don't know about $1000 huge if this is the only major difference.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Hi Guys

1) Better warranty
2) 48c deck is much better than deck on D-Series. Heavier metal, deck wheels swivel to help with deck removal.
3) Kawi engines are professional grade.
4) Frame is much heavier-duty.

Not sure if there are more improvements. Whether these things are worth the money is a personal opinion. Personally, I'd go X-Series over D-Series any day of the week. Go to a dealership and drive both. You'll see...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points, everyone seems to rave about the Kawi motors. I have to admit, they are WAY smoother then that Briggs that i had in my L120. As soon as i started it up at the dealer yesterday, i was impressed with how quiet and smooth it was.

I guess in some respects i have a beer budget, and wine taste :banghead3

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Good points, everyone seems to rave about the Kawi motors. I have to admit, they are WAY smoother then that Briggs that i had in my L120. As soon as i started it up at the dealer yesterday, i was impressed with how quiet and smooth it was.

I guess in some respects i have a beer budget, and wine taste :banghead3
Don't we all! :trink39:

Best of luck with whatever you decide on!

·
Registered
841 Posts
D170 54" deck is the same stamping that used to be used on the GT235, 345's, etc. Same great cut quality, same thickness. Will cut better than the 48. And yes, the D170 has front wheel bearings versus bushings the other D's have. For the $, no other JD will cut as much grass.

Remember, the wider the deck the faster you finish - and the less hours you put on your mower - and the longer your tractor will last.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Is there a thread pertaining to the upgrade from bushings to bearings?

I love my D160- and if the upgrade is that cheap- well that seems entirely worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a used X series. I snagged a used X340 with the 25hp Kawasaki and 54' deck with 128 hours for 2700 bucks. Was cheaper than a new D170 and a far better machine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For that kind of money did you think of something like a used 345/gx345?
Honestly, i have been scowering craigslist for the past couple of week, and can't seem to find a good deal on anything used with lower hours. I'd love a nice 400 or 425, but all the ones in my area have around 900+ hours. I know that isn't a ton, but at the same time, i want more tractor for my money, i also want something new, or atleast newer then my L120 was.

I am leaning more toward new, so that i can have the warranty, and just not have to worry about it if something does break. I do all my own maintence, and can do pretty much anything, but i was't putting the money/effort into my L120 to rebuild the front axle, and then have the motor, or transaxle go out on me.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I understand about the used. Sometimes new is best unless you run across a steal like I did. There's a X320 for sale now on my Craigslist I bet could be had for 2800-2900 with 65 hours on it. That's WAY less than a new one would cost plus sales tax. But it is hard to find a X on Craigslist because theres less of them circulating and the majority who buy them keep them.

Also the warranty stays with the tractor. Mine still had a year of warranty left on it. Of course somebody correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are 2 in my area - X324 AWS with 650 hours (way to many hours then i'm looking for, and looks beat) $2650, and a X304 AWS 260 hours $2750.

Just seems like a lot for something used with that many hours, when a new one X300,OTD was quoted $3500. If i decide on the new X300, i'll try to beat then up a little more on the price. I started out having them quote a new X324 AWS, and with all the accesories came back at over 6k :biglaugh: WAY out of my price range. I even have a hard time with $3500 for the X300, which is why i'm trying to justify the D160 if the differences aren't very much.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
D160 frame

X300 series frame

The X300 series frame is the same frame Used On the Deere X500 series except that the X500 series uses a different Hitch Plate and In some X500 models have a front weight Bracket So as You can see there really are Major Differences even starting with the frame while Both the X300 Model and the D160 Both Have K46's They are different variants of the K46 Between the two Models what the are I really don't Know.
One of Your earlier comments "Plus i think the D160 looks better anyways with the larger rims.' Well You can Put Larger rear rims and Tires On a X300 if You want and Give it that Garden tractor Look as well.
Now that Used X324 You were Looking at Has a K58 trans and depending on the Year of the X304 it Might also Have a K58 and Not a K46.

But My question to You Is what is Your Intended Purpose for the Lawn Tractor other than the obvious ?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
D160 frame

X300 series frame

The X300 series frame is the same frame Used On the Deere X500 series except that the X500 series uses a different Hitch Plate and In some X500 models have a front weight Bracket So as You can see there really are Major Differences even starting with the frame while Both the X300 Model and the D160 Both Have K46's They are different variants of the K46 Between the two Models what the are I really don't Know.
One of Your earlier comments "Plus i think the D160 looks better anyways with the larger rims.' Well You can Put Larger rear rims and Tires On a X300 if You want and Give it that Garden tractor Look as well.
Now that Used X324 You were Looking at Has a K58 trans and depending on the Year of the X304 it Might also Have a K58 and Not a K46.

But My question to You Is what is Your Intended Purpose for the Lawn Tractor other than the obvious ?
X2 my uncles X304 is a K58, I think it is a 2006?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
304 listed doesn't say what year it is. But maybe i should find that out. Here it is...

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/grd/3759756860.html

My intended use beyond mowing is to hopefully put a plow on it to plow my driveway (flat, no incline at all), and once in a while pull a deere trailer to cut branches, and "brush" my property. My fear is with the use of the plow, tearing it up if i go with a D, as opposed to an X.

·
Super Moderator
16,687 Posts
The Blade is fine for 6 inches or Less Of snow Fall. Don't wait Until it stops snowing before You Plow with either the X300 series or D 100 series especially if Your In the snow Belt up there In Michigan. If You are in a Heavy snow area I recommend a Blower for either Tractor. Just Take smaller Bites with the Blade on either series tractor. I used Many Lawn tractors even a rear engine rider with a front Blade for Years Up Near Fort Drum, NY when I was stationed Up there. The RER Deere R70 was always Good at Plowing snow as Long as I knew its Limitations Though the R70 was My Only Deere Lemon (Drive sprocket Issues which Only happened In the summer Time) A nice Little add on for the X300 series that Deere Came out with a few years ago is a electric Lift Kit for the Blade and Blower On the X300 series. I just find the ergonomic of the X300 series to Be better suited for a Homeowner than the D100 series especially when It come to front blade work This Video from Superior-Tech will sort of show You what I mean http://superior-tech.com/front-attachments.php about Blade work To steal a quote from are Orange Tractor Brothers and apply it to the X300 series The X300 is a Lawn tractor with the Heart of a Garden tractor

BTW that X304 doesn't Look Bad Just a Little Dusty
:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 43 Posts