My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Any good SAE30 detergent oil will yield the desired results, no reason to pay a premium for sytnthetic, or Deere oil.

fact is, deere doesnt make oil, they rebadge someone elses oil and double the price for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes its fine, nothing special about air cooled lawn mower engines. Oil is so over thought and its mostly urban legend. I like to use heavyt duty oil in all my stuff. The 5w40 works in every thing I own except for the Honda car. Rotella makes 10w30, 0w40, 5w40, and the dino 15w40 etc. Mobil Delvac has the same offerings, the synthetic HD oils are good stuff and not that costly.

Its ALL personal opinion and most people just get caught up in advertising of over priced "super" oils. Been that way from the start of the lube buisness. Trying to sell suckers on brand names.

You can wait for 50 hours and follow John Deere guidence if you want. I switch over to my favorite oil on the first change, never had one issue, my stuff doesn't burn oil either.

The important thing is to change the oil on a regular schedule.

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
50 Hours isn't much. Personally, I'd wait 'til 100 Hours.

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
100 hrs isn't alot but this is his first oil change and in my opinion it's the most important one. Synthetic or dino... whatever.. just change it at 50 hrs !!
Allow me to clarify. 100 Hours to switch to synthetic. I always do my FIRST oil change @ 10 to 15 Hours and usually continue to change @ 25 Hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have about 6 hours on it right now, put about 1 hour a week on it. Guess I'll stick with dino for now and end of next season switch to synthetic, I was just wondering b/c I have mobil 1 laying around from using it in my cars. It doesnt cost that much I'll just change it every year.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,550 Posts
I only have about 6 hours on it right now, put about 1 hour a week on it. Guess I'll stick with dino for now and end of next season switch to synthetic, I was just wondering b/c I have mobil 1 laying around from using it in my cars. It doesnt cost that much I'll just change it every year.
Sounds like a good plan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.