2,420 Posts
This is interesting information.

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tell me more tgore3
Yeh, you got my curiosity going too ...

... if they run like crap with a smaller than normal hole I can't see how it could run "beter" with no hole at all.

Wanted to put the Smiley "eating popcorn" here, but it's not in the list !!

Doug

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
I didn't say they would run better. That bleed hole size is going to change tune of the carb. Any change to it and you will have to make tuning changes.

Most everyone I've talked to settled in the size 40 pilot jet area with no mods to the throttle disk. If you had a bigger bleed hole in the throttle disk i would expect you to need the 42.5 pilot jet.

Did you ever run a size 40 pilot jet over the 37.5 with the original throttle disk?

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I didn't say they would run better. That bleed hole size is going to change tune of the carb. Any change to it and you will have to make tuning changes.

Most everyone I've talked to settled in the size 40 pilot jet area with no mods to the throttle disk. If you had a bigger bleed hole in the throttle disk i would expect you to need the 42.5 pilot jet.

Did you ever run a size 40 pilot jet over the 37.5 with the original throttle disk?
Just want to set the record straight ... I am NOT modifying any throttle discs in any way, just installing the CORRECT Duraforce one with a 0.10" dia hole in it (98-7047). An incorect disc for R-Tek Snowthrowers was accidentally installed on many Duraforce Lawnmower carbs in 2002 and 2003 which has a 0.055" dia hole in it (Can't confirm Toro p/n since all R-Tek numbers have been converted to B&S numbers).

And as I said, no jetting combination will make a Duraforce Lawnmower run perfect as long as this INCORRECT throttle plate is installed. Well maybe this statement is NOT completely true ... if you were to run your mower in the dead of winter when the air is thinner maybe you could get it to run good with a 0.055" bleed hole !!

With the CORRECT Duraforce throttle plate installed (0.010" hole), my 1999 10323 always ran PERFECT with totally STOCK jetting.

Now to answer your question ... all Duraforces that I've tuned since I've found out about this "Throttle Disc" issue have been running PERFECT on a STOCK main jet and either a "40" or "42.5" Pilot jet. So YES, I've had success with the "40" Pilot Jet.

Some mowers like my 10424 need just a little more to completely eliminate the SURGE (maybe because it is a Push model with no SP Drive load), and the "42.5" Pilot Jet seems to work a bit better.

Doug

·
Registered
110 Posts
An interesting find related to your recommendation Doug.

Per this threat/advice, I order part # 98-7047 from RCPW for use on my 10324, which is surging but not much. I figured it was cheap and easy enough to try.

I do, however, have one Duraforce/R*Tek that surges wildly (before it is warmed up)- the one in my Toro 726te snowblower. For comparison, I took the snowblower apart today and was confused by what I found. The snowblower (R*Tek) has the correct jet (the R*tek 47.5) but the throttle plate appears to be LARGER than the 98-7047. I bought the snowblower new so I know it hasn't been tinkered with.

I haven't checked the 10324 throttle plate yet as my neighbor is borrowing it (he wants to buy it off me!) but I will be checking it tomorrow hopefully.

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Superbuick ... when I was last in by my dealer picking up the 0.10" hole plate, he showed me a bag of plates with that even BIGGER hole but could not remember off the top of his head which "E" engine they beloged in.

I'd say you found the application it goes in then !!

Doug

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow. One more reason for me to stay away form DF's. I just dont like the buzzy handle feel. Maybe a Gold would set me okay....Im thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow. One more reason for me to stay away form DF's. I just dont like the buzzy handle feel. Maybe a Gold would set me okay....Im thinking about it.
Send yours my way. I have never had a minute's trouble with my 10424. The only complaint I have is that the handle adjustment doesn't go high enough for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey to everyone.

I recently purchased a LB10550. The carburetor needs some work. I'll probably need to start a new thread about that. I am curious if anyone knows if the carb kit 107-4607 contains the correct size throttle plate or would I do best to also order the throttle plate number mentioned in this thread when I order the kit. Since it barely runs, I have know idea as to whether or not this mower has a surge or not.

Tim

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.