My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us keep in our prayers those brave soldiers that stormed the beaches of France in '44, especially those that did not survive, and thank them for keeping the world safe. Not only the American soldiers, but English, Canadian, and other countries. There aren't many left to tell about it and most of them don't like to tell of their experiences. Who would? They were just doing their job.
May God bless them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They were my parents and my parents' generation and they saved the world. Then those that returned became just people in the neighborhood. Later, the impact of what they did awed me when I binge read all 17 volumes of Samuel Eliot Morrison's History of Naval Operations during WWII My shop teacher lost a leg on Omaha Beach. The man who minded us at church while my folks and his wife sang in the choir, was a Naval corpsman at Pearl Harbor . My Uncle was on the Laffey a destroyer providing close in target support off the beach. Drawing fire, coordinates for larger guns in deeper waters. Thats just the men.The women built most of the matériel that was used.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This would be a good weekend to bengwatch "Band of Brothers"

It makes you appreciate the sacrifice more to me.

Goggle does something special on their splash page for most major history events but not D-Day. Really Google?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Very sad to think about just how few WWII veterans will be around for the 80th anniversary. I think early 1928 was the youngest a WWII veteran could have been born, which will put them at 96 or older.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Born in 1928 he/she would have been 16 that year. Really sad, so many young people with so much promise sacrificed on both sides because of a megalomaniac. My dad served with the RCAF, he didn't see combat but the loss of relatives and friends deeply affected him. He didn't like to talk about it.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
My dad was in the Pacific Theater, he was born in 1917, died in '67 at the age of 49. He went on to be a Division Roadmaster for The Burlington Route, later CB&Q Railroad, Burlington Northern and now BNSF, Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

He ran the Hannibal, MO yard at the time of his death, I was nine, I never had any of the conversations that I wished we could of had.

My uncle was in Germany, never spoke of it.

CCMoe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts