My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys I have had, and currently have, numerous Lawnboys over the last 35 years however until very recently I have not had the pleasure of owning one with a fiberglass shroud. So I got a 7221 and a 7259 from a fellow who was looking to find them a new home. After some serious basic cleaning, a few minor parts and tweaks, they both start and run great however they both have issues with the primer hole. The 7221 was completely missing the primer and the hole was wallowed out to about quarter size. The 7259's primer hole was big enough that the primer would not stay in. I made a washer for the 7259 but when priming I still had to be careful not to hit the flywheel. The 7221 was beyond the washer stage.
So I had some steel left from my edger guard project and I made a paper template for a backing plate to go under the shroud. After some careful fitting and testing to make sure there was no clearance issues and that the primer worked well I JB welded the plate under the shroud and then filled in on the top around the hole I drilled in the metal plate. After it dried I sanded, finished the hole with a small grinding wheel, and sprayed some Grabber Green in a lid and touched up the repair. Not perfect but fully functional. Should last a very long time. Also touched up the Lawnboy white lettering on the shroud front. Much better than 25% of the paint missing.
The 7259 I JB welded the washer I made under the shroud. I will fill in the top, sand, and touch it up as well.
I know there have been several discussion regarding repairing this issue and I feel this was pretty easy, other than getting the measurements just right. I am attaching some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Looks good Bill. I have used seen many different repairs thru the years, but yours is the best to keep the original look. Another week spot on these fiberglass shrouds is they tend to break out at the screw at the recoil rope hole. Be sure to keep all of the shroud acres tight and you will be ok.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Nice job Bill! I believe I have a good green one if you ever need another!

Happy 2020!

·
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Did just a bit on the mowers today. The 7259 came with one white 6 inch wheel and the rest appear to be the original beige. Took the beige wheels off and replaced them with all white used ones. Harry is going to take the beige wheels for his 5238 project. The 7221 came with one white front wheel which was actually broken so I took it off and threw it away. The rest of the wheels were the original dark green and UncleLee is graciously sending me a 6 inch front to complete the set. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Awesome repair Bill! Looks like the best I have seen, as far as still looking original. That's exactly the way they should have done it at Galesburg.

·
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rex!! I am guessing they never thought there would be that much issue with wear around the primer and pull start. So far I am happy with the repair. Put the primer bar back in the beige top mower today as I was waiting for a primer spring which came today. Works smoothly as intended. If someone were to repaint the shroud it would be hard to tell it was repaired. Bill

·
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Matt! You know, I would say the hardest part was trying to locate the hole in the correct place when it has been oversized from wear. Measured quite a bit before attaching the metal plate with the hole in it as well as the custom washer on the beige mower. Didn't have a good shroud to measure from so it was hard to make sure to get the hole located in the correct place. Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts