My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to tractors and have been looking for one for a while and found a d-14 decent shape with pull behind 6 ft brush hog and back blade the guy wants 2800 for it does that sound like a decent deal. also how well do they hold up and do they drink alot of gas
Thanks Bryan

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
For a shot at a better, more accurate answer, you may want to post some photos of both the tractor and mower and tell us more about the condition they are in.
For example; What shape are the tires in? What does the sheet metal look like? Is it full of dents or holes that aren't suppose to be there? Have the rear rims on the tractor rotted thru from the fluid weight in the tires if there is any? How's the mower's top deck that covers the blade/s?
Just my two bits on the question.
One year ago, a D-14 with the "Snap Coupler" and a 3-point adapter sold not far from here for $1550.00 at a farm auction. It ran really well and everything worked, plus it had been professionally painted about 10 years before. Real good tires, the fronts didn't match. The hitch worked very well and it started right up with no smoke.

·
Registered
116 Posts
also a wide front and a narrow front can make huge difference. It would help to see it but to me $2800 seems slightly high for it, especially with the current prices of old iron out my way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
seems high

look around at three different tractors before you buy,
alway good advice in purchase of car, truck or most anything.

d-14's had a problem with trans, when going down hill they would jump out of thrid gear, as the gears got worn, all i ever saw did it,

so for safety reasons, you need to work it on flat ground or be sure you have good brakes.
can be a real safety issue if you plan on having kids drive the tractor on hills.

test: have the tractor in 3rd gear and start off down a hill, take foot off the brake and let the trans/motor hold the tractor back, that is when the trans pop's out of 3rd gear and off you go free wheeling. Weeeeeeee!!!!!

do not think the D-17 trans had this problem, the D-17 was one of the best power to weight tractors ever made.

remember these tractors are old and can have many repair issues.

also the lift systems will not work when you push the (foot clutch) in to change gears,
changing gears from foward to reverse is a issue with PTO running, pto had to almost stop before you can change gears.
you will love this feature when bushogging, in a tight spot, (ha,ha).

try a little fergy or ford before you buy
again always good advise to test drive 3+ before you buy.

however, i did like my old D-14 was a great old tractor just had a few old schoold draw backs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts