My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always hate moving the Cyclone Rake lawn vac around in the garage so I try to back it as close as possible to the final spot, so I don’t have to move it much further. Currently I store it under the shelf I hung from the rafters to hold my JD Soft Enclosure. I made it just high enough to clear the Cyclone Rake without having to fold it down. That way it can breathe and dry out over the Winter. The casters I used were left over single wheel casters for the unit when I installed duals.

I used a left over piece of 5/4 x 6 treated decking material. I held it under the hitch area and hit it with a hammer to mark bolt locations. Probably better ways, but it worked. I drilled 5/16 holes to clear the bolts, recessed the holes nearest the hitch with 1/2” bit. Found the nuts still hit, so I carved some of the hole edge to get the nuts started and finished pounding them in until the board sits flush to the bottom hitch plate. The nut on the rearward screws are about the right height to make board sit fairly flat. I removed the stud plate from the caster and used it to mark the bolt pattern by hitting it with a hammer. I drilled 5/16 holes and put in two bolts with lock nuts. If the bolts are too long, you have to put them in from the bottom and nuts on the top. The center of the caster pivot hits the board, so you might want to add spacers, but I tried it without, since my screw, washer, and nut options were limited to what I had at the workbench.

it seems to be working so far. Not too much usage yet, but it sure moves easier without having to carry it. 😃

·
We're all friends here
14,191 Posts
Moving those machines around without a caster is a bear. One of the first things I bought after the DR was a dolly wheel for the trailer/frame. Saves my back every time I use it.

IMG_0560.JPG

·
Registered
425 Posts
Had a Cyclone Take, had. Worked great, had it for two years. Had to sell for parts - the impeller disintgrated. $300+ for new parts.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a Cyclone Take, had. Worked great, had it for two years. Had to sell for parts - the impeller disintgrated. $300+ for new parts.
Been using mine several years now and have had no issues like that. In fact I have looked at the impeller and it shows very little wear. I have used mine a lot, including picking up leaves and branches.

Two friends have them also without any issues.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m sure they too have learned from units in the field. I love mine and am so glad I got it and would and do recommend them.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
It really depends on the blower and what gets put through it. I've used the blower from a Gravely zeroturn, and the blower from a DR Power towing vacuum, and I've:
1. Damaged the housing on both of them from rocks and larger debris getting sucked through it. For both of them, the fan would drag something (probably a rock) between the fan and the housing multiple times, eventually wearing through a significant strip of the housing. Gravely housing was about 3/16" or so plastic, DR Power was maybe 14 gauge sheet metal. And both were fixed by making a liner from 1/8" sheet metal, rolled to shape with a ring roller, then bolted in place.
-damaged/worn out the fan of the Gravely blower(made from 1/8" flat steel), but the DR Power one looks pristine (blades made from 3/16" steel, with a bend in them towards the outside edge so they can't fold over). For the Gravely, initially all the blades just bent over, reducing it's efficiency. Bent them back upright, welded in a brace behind each one, then outside edge and face edge folded over a bit (the unsupported parts) and also showed a lot of wear on the edges. Bent them back upright and flat, welded a strip of 3/16" steel along the outside and face edges and a new brace, and since doing this, the blades show very little wear.

And this is from picking up debris from grass fields, so there are some stones, acorns/things like that, leaves, dirt, grass (both dead from spring clean and new cut grass).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally looked a little harder at using the caster without the mounting plate and found the swivel was binding, so I put it back on and remounted with blocks on either end rather than the pins like Cyclone Rake does it. Then added a couple of blocks on top just to make sure it stays in place. Seems to be working well the couple of times I had it back on the unit. I used wing nuts on top just in case and I had them left over, but I wouldn’t if I were doing it from scratch. The blocks were cut to recess the mounting plate into them and there’s no movement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RT3360. Hi Bob. Well done caster. I opted for the Jack Stand Adapter (Part # 218B- Woodland Products, mfg of Cyclone Rake. Works great. In 2006, it was $69.50 CDN$. Certainly helps in moving rake around garage, helps installing to tractor
as well. Comes with tool to raise and lower. Like a variable height jack stand. Barry

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Barry,

I was trying to have a larger tire on the ground to make it move easier and because my friend has a Z10 Cyclone Rake that he stores in his wood shed that now has a dirt (sand) floor soon to be limestone and I wanted it to work for him as well. The jack stand is the best solution if it had the larger wheel(s). Besides, I had these wheels laying on the shelf doing nothing. 😁

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Barry,

I was trying to have a larger tire on the ground to make it move easier and because my friend has a Z10 Cyclone Rake that he stores in his wood shed that now has a dirt (sand) floor soon to be limestone and I wanted it to work for him as well. The jack stand is the best solution if it had the larger wheel(s). Besides, I had these wheels laying on the shelf doing nothing. 😁

Bob
Ah, that make sense. The jack stand would be an issue on a dirt floor to be sure. Regards. Barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts