My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with getting one. I am wondering:

When turning with the dual tongue hitch do the wheels skid and tear up any grass?

How well does it work on wet thick grass?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When turning with the dual tongue hitch do the wheels skid and tear up any grass?
I couldnt imagine it doing that; The wheels are casters.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
The only problem I`ve had was if the both caster wheels on the trailer were at a 90 degree angle to my Zero turns wheels it was like the brakes were on, I couldn't move, this only happened a few times. I had to get off and kick or move the caster wheels to change the angle. I don`t know if it because of the caster wheels on the trailer end, and the caster wheels on the zero turn.

But other then that, its the best money I ever spent. And Wood Lawn power has great customer service. I needed them 2 times to replace a hose connection that was out of round due to packing and a seam in the bag that was coming apart. They fixed both with new fitting and a new bags. It`s a great tool, it`s two tools in one with the optional hose kits. Hopefully they are still using the Vanguard for power.

There are some good videos on you tube. here`s my set up. I leave it set up on my trailer and drive it off the trailer at the next job, and get to work. If you have a lot of trees that are close together think about the size before you buy, my zero turn with the Cyclone Rake is just over 12 feet long it`s only draw back, but having a 8" hose coming off the deck boot makes a big difference how fast those leaves get sucked up, I mulch before vacuuming them up, smaller, gets more in the 285 gallon bag. Don`t get the XL if you don`t have the room, that has the 415 gallon bag.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
The casters work very well and have never torn any grass up. The good thing about having a cyclone rake over a JD MC519 is that the cyclone rake is universal and can be mounted to any machine that you may own over the years, also for resale. It is too bad that you are so far away, I have one that I am going to be selling soon.
Dan

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought one last year. It does a nice job picking up leaves. I have not used it on grass but I would expect it to do just as well with that. I got the duel wheels because I have it at our cabin which is sandy soil. It does not seem to tear up the grass so I don't think you would have any problem on normal soil. It does get pretty heavy when it is full. It works very well on the leaves.
I sold my 345 so now I have to get it mounted on the 355D I bought this spring. I know you said you had a 355D. The more I use that tractor the better I like it.
Cyclone Rake.jpg

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really liked my 355D. The only reason I moved into the 748 was for 4WD for snow duties on my hilly drive.

I would use the cyclone for leaves but also for mowing. My main concern is mowing wet grass and if it would plug up. I'm sure it would do fine on dry grass but some of my areas never get really dry.

It sounds like I don't have to worry about it tearing up. That's good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently purchased a CR and I just used it for the first time. I purposely let the grass get extra long about 5-6 inches, it was thick and damp from a previous days rain. I can tell you this thing was great, it picked up even the wettest grass, and it made the lawn look like you took a vacuum over it. I am very impressed. The manueverabilty take some getting used to due to the extra length and the added tail swing of the tractor, but it comes easily. I will warn you though the hopper is very heavy when loaded with wet grass, I only let it get about 1/2 full which equaled about 3/4 of an acre then dump, mcuh easier. Good luck!!!

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
I use it for bagging grass clippings every other to every third mow; filled up the bagger unit pretty full and no problems with the wheels tearing up the turf. As others have said, it does get quite heavy when full, even with dry grass and leaves. Makes manuvering a little weird at times, but nothing you can't get used to by the second/third use.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, This sounds like something I need.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I`ve also used on grass this year for the first time, it did get very heavy. I didn't dump the clipping, I off loaded them using the unloader, just tipping the bag back and opened the top hatch. You might plug up the deck, but I don`t think you`d plug up that 8" hose. I`ve even raked piles of leaves into the opened end of the 8" hose, want to see a pile of leaves disappear fast, it`s actually fun to use. They have two electric lift for the Cyclone Rake.

I`ve learned it easier to blow the leaves out onto the lawn then to make windrows, you can only get so many leaves under your mower deck at a time. If you mulch the leaves before picking them up, then the bag wont fill up so fast. I kind wish that Wood Lawn Power, had made a metal cutter or small mulching blade that went on after the impeller. Maybe there`s a reason why they didn't? Still a great tool.....

pro model
http://www.cyclonerake.com/cyclonemaster.htm

home owner
http://www.cyclonerake.com/cyclonemate.htm

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Why not get a MC519 Cart & powerflo and make the cart hydraulic dump. They work slick. slkpk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not get a MC519 Cart & powerflo and make the cart hydraulic dump. They work slick. slkpk
What exactly is the optional powerflo kit. The JD website is pathetic regarding any details.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=11544
The powerflo attaches onto the right side of the deck where the discharge is. It's ran by a double pulley on the right mower spindle. A belt runs off the top pulley to rotate the fan and blow it into the cart. See pics above. Cart setup with hydraulics. No extra engine to take care of. The nousing and fan is all plastic and very durable. I've sucked up rocks, acorns, walnuts, sticks, pine cones etc and never had a minutes problem. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=15445

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=13498
slkpk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info slkpk, sound interesting. I'll have to check it out too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a CR with my X748, love it. Couldn't be with out it and Woodlawn has been great to work with. I have owned my CR for 8 trouble free years. I put many hours on it....I have the Estate Vacuum attachment which is very useful getting in and around flower beds, fences, window wells, etc... Get the trailer jack for sure, it makes it much easier to push around your storage area if you don't fold it up when not in use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts