My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using my Cyclone Rake for several years and have been so impressed with it that I bought a second one for my son for leaf cleanup. I’ve had some issues with plugging the grill in the exhaust on top with mud when things were Very Wet reducing the suction.

Last week, I tried out my custom dethatcher with it on a widow’s 2+ acres. The grill kept plugging within 1 round (1/3-1/2 full).
Plant Sky Green Natural environment Tree

I have an idea to try that I tried on my custom lawn vac that solved this, but I thought I’d see if anyone else has had this / these issues and what you may have tried.

Bob

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
My CR is also about 5 years old now, the absolute best yard clean up equipment I ever had.

Like you, VERY muddy and wet (when its raining fairly hard) leaves or grass mowing in the rain, can cause the screen to clog, but I just stop and used the little toilet brush they give you, to clean it so I can get a full bin load before unloading. In any kind of non raining situation, the problem does not exist for me.

I've found that instead of "brushing" the screen, I use the brush in a "hammering" stroke from the outside of the screen, where the brush bristles are going through the screen to dislodge the stuck materials. Seems to work well.

I know most models have a screen that either unzips or is secured by Velcro to allow removal for cleaning or replacement. Check carefully on your particular bin. Not sure if CR sells a coarser screen or not, but if this is a real problem, maybe craft a coarser DIY screen of your own?

In any case, the CR is still the best investment I've made in lawn clean up period.

·
Kioti SCUT
965 Posts
I've been considering a CR for annual leaf cleanup. But I want to continue using my triple-bagger on my YT mower the rest of the year.

The bagger presently connects to the deck side discharge of my Husqvarna YTH2348 with a hard-plastic boot and discharge tube.

The CR specs call for replacing all of this with a CR installed deck boot and tube.

Does anyone know if I can use a CR with my existing boot, by connecting the CR tube to the existing first section boot/tube on the YT?

Thanks, Cal

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hey 3 Legged Dog,

Highly doubt it can use the boot and hose from the Husqvarna system. There is a LOT of suction on the CR unit that may collapse a passive collection system hose.

My CR came with a boot that closely matched the JD 48" deck. I recall my deck's ID was part of the order specs for the CR. The plastics used by CR are not thin, and are very sturdy.

Regardless, you still have to trim the boot's plastic in order to fit it up to the specific deck's opening. This is not a big project, just take your time and take small cuts until it fits just right. It mounts via a steel bracket that is bolted to the top of the deck chute with big knurled screws for install and removal of the boot.

If you are using the CR only certain times of the year, should be no problem in changing over once the CR boot and mount is fitted.

Personally, before moving out to the 4 acre lawn in the country that I now mow, I used the CR every week when mowing my 1 acre. It left that vacuumed look and NO debris. I had a 80 foot long row of Poplars along my back yard, and if you ever had those trees, you know how many twigs and branches come down every week. The CR eliminated 95% plus of those just when mowing.

It is also great for sucking up piles of leaves from around the house foundation. I just use the back pack to move them out, then run over with the mower/CR combo...Gone! The hose can be used to suck up big piles of leaves if you have them. I just rake the pile toward the end of the hose and those are "gone in a flash".

Great investment IMHO.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey 3 Legged Dog,

Highly doubt it can use the boot and hose from the Husqvarna system. There is a LOT of suction on the CR unit that may collapse a passive collection system hose.

My CR came with a boot that closely matched the JD 48" deck. I recall my deck's ID was part of the order specs for the CR. The plastics used by CR are not thin, and are very sturdy.

Regardless, you still have to trim the boot's plastic in order to fit it up to the specific deck's opening. This is not a big project, just take your time and take small cuts until it fits just right. It mounts via a steel bracket that is bolted to the top of the deck chute with big knurled screws for install and removal of the boot.

If you are using the CR only certain times of the year, should be no problem in changing over once the CR boot and mount is fitted.

Personally, before moving out to the 4 acre lawn in the country that I now mow, I used the CR every week when mowing my 1 acre. It left that vacuumed look and NO debris. I had a 80 foot long row of Poplars along my back yard, and if you ever had those trees, you know how many twigs and branches come down every week. The CR eliminated 95% plus of those just when mowing.

It is also great for sucking up piles of leaves from around the house foundation. I just use the back pack to move them out, then run over with the mower/CR combo...Gone! The hose can be used to suck up big piles of leaves if you have them. I just rake the pile toward the end of the hose and those are "gone in a flash".

Great investment IMHO.
So you never had grass clippings collect in the grill when collecting every time? Different type of grass? My grill was filled solid with grass clippings, every load. Some fresh Spring clippings, some dead thatch.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
No, I never had a screen clog problem except sucking up really wet, muddy debris. Wet Poplar fuzz in June was an issue too but I moved away to the country with no close by Poplars thank goodness.

Does any of the material drop off the screen when you shut the blower down or does it remain there stuck to the screen?

If it is sticky and remains on the screen without the blower, wonder if the type of grass is a cause? I have some KY blue and Fescue here that does not become sticky when cut.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
3 Legged Dog,
Just an FYI, here is a pic of the adapter that they send. It is dependent upon the deck you have, but still needs trimming to fit. The two knurled nuts at the upper edge of the black plate, are on 2 studs mounted to the top of the deck's chute. Easy on easy off.

Liquid Rectangle Electronic device Plastic Font

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I never had a screen clog problem except sucking up really wet, muddy debris. Wet Poplar fuzz in June was an issue too but I moved away to the country with no close by Poplars thank goodness.

Does any of the material drop off the screen when you shut the blower down or does it remain there stuck to the screen?

If it is sticky and remains on the screen without the blower, wonder if the type of grass is a cause? I have some KY blue and Fescue here that does not become sticky when cut.
The clippings stay stuck to the screen even with the blower shut off. Had to use the brush to scape it off/knock it loose. Packed in pretty tight.
3 Legged Dog,
Just an FYI, here is a pic of the adapter that they send. It is dependent upon the deck you have, but still needs trimming to fit. The two knurled nuts at the upper edge of the black plate, are on 2 studs mounted to the top of the deck's chute. Easy on easy off.

View attachment 2548755
My adapter is similar and doesn’t cause an issue unless things are very wet. There wasn’t much buildup anywhere except the exhaust grill/screen. Once cleaned, the airflow was great with lots of top flap deflector beating in the breeze.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the input hose to the CR trailer aimed anywhere near that exhaust vent screen? Maybe rigging up some kind of deflector near the input would help?
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

As you can see in the picture, the unit can pick up a boatload of dry or damp leaves and the high airflow into the Cyclone housing is high on the front side. The screen is square extending from about 2-3” from the front, to about the same in the rear, and about the same on both sides. The unit moves a LOT of air, so anything sucked in is traveling very faster just under the screen. There is a rubber flap/deflector at the rear of the screen hanging down from the screen. Hope this gives you a better idea of how the unit works.

I was hoping to find someone who has solved the issue. I have an idea, but didn’t want to bias anybody’s thoughts. I have reached out to Cyclone Rake for their input as well. I’ll pass it along when I get it.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
My CR bin is hanging on the wall in the barn but I recall the deflection flap you mentioned. I think it slows down the debris as it enters the bin allowing for it to settle out of the air flow as it moves out through the screen. LIke you said the design is high front entry into the bin with the flap there to knock debris downward. It is a flap to keep debris from sticking to it as it flaps in the air flow.

Just curious, are you using mulching blades on the mower deck? Wonder if the debris is too fine, or light, and remains airborne too long as it enters the bin.

Has this been a problem since you got the CR? Is it a new CR or used? Has the screen been replaced? Has anyone replaced or modified the blower impeller? I've seen several articles about people adding rubber flaps and such that were not designed for this use. Not a good idea as this blower is plenty strong as it came from the factory.

This is a bit odd. My Commander model has not had a clogging issue even when "abused" in the rain and once in a snow squall, it was wet to the point of mud dribbling out the back of the bin, and it did have a lot of junk stuck to the screen, but not to the point of not being able to be filled.

Be interesting to hear what the folks at Woodland say about it.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can.

·
Kioti SCUT
965 Posts

Thanks. I'm still exploring options, including using my existing boot.

The YT boot and pipe are hard, thick plastic, the same stuff as the CR boot. You can even stand on it without any collapse.

It seems to me there must be a way to attach the CR directly to my existing YT boot, for easy on and off when I want to use my triple-bagger. Cal

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
That would be great if you can adapt the CR hose to your boot end. Makes change over a breeze. Good luck and let us know if you manage it.

Reactions: 3 Legged Dog

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My CR bin is hanging on the wall in the barn but I recall the deflection flap you mentioned. I think it slows down the debris as it enters the bin allowing for it to settle out of the air flow as it moves out through the screen. LIke you said the design is high front entry into the bin with the flap there to knock debris downward. It is a flap to keep debris from sticking to it as it flaps in the air flow.

Just curious, are you using mulching blades on the mower deck? Wonder if the debris is too fine, or light, and remains airborne too long as it enters the bin.

Has this been a problem since you got the CR? Is it a new CR or used? Has the screen been replaced? Has anyone replaced or modified the blower impeller? I've seen several articles about people adding rubber flaps and such that were not designed for this use. Not a good idea as this blower is plenty strong as it came from the factory.

This is a bit odd. My Commander model has not had a clogging issue even when "abused" in the rain and once in a snow squall, it was wet to the point of mud dribbling out the back of the bin, and it did have a lot of junk stuck to the screen, but not to the point of not being able to be filled.

Be interesting to hear what the folks at Woodland say about it.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can.
mulching blades - I don’t use mulching blades. Debris was just clippings and thatch
Flap - is to keep the debris from blowing directly onto the back flaps.
CR was used 1 yr before me on a Kubota zero turn and has been used by me 4-5 yrs for leaf pickup and only had the really wet sucking up mud mainly last year. Definitely abused then and yes I too have picked up snow on leaves. Grass sticking to the screen is very new, since I never picked up thatch with it before, at least at the same time I was cutting the grass which puts fresh grass clippings with the thatch. I don’t think it would have been as bad without fresh clippings.

Woodland says - try running it at lower rpm (not blowing so hard).

I plan to add a deflector at the front of the screen based on my previous experience with my custom fabricated trailer directly from my bagger chute. Airflow was fair, but even noticed stuff building up on that screen, 1/4” mesh.
Wood Paint Wood stain Floor Fixture

Wood Rectangle Tree Automotive exterior Trunk

·
Kioti SCUT
965 Posts
That would be great if you can adapt the CR hose to your boot end. Makes change over a breeze. Good luck and let us know if you manage it.
I found my answer at the Cyclone Rake website.

They make a hose adapter that attaches to your existing deck boot if you already have a bagger:

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grass Glove

This will make it very easy, since I will only use the CR 2-3 weeks a year and still want my YT bagger. Cal

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I said, I got a reply email from Cyclone Rake. I replied to them that the suggestions wouldn’t work for me as well as why in either conditions where my grill plugged. Today I got another follow up email. I replied again to it saying I had removed the grill today to sew the top flap and to add a front deflector. However, I found there was already a rubber flap in front too that is riveted to the housing above the inlet which is supposed to deflect the material downward. Then later today, I got a call from them as a follow up. Talk about service. I went through everything again with the gentleman and told him I had replaced the older grill assembly with a new one (they give you a spare when you first buy the unit). The older one’s plastic grill ribs were very rough so it would certainly catch more material. I asked in the email for recommendations on how often to replace the grill. I’m sure conditions will play a big part in that time frame. I told the gentleman that called I was thinking of adding a stiff deflector and would let them know how it worked which he appreciated.

Tonight on TV there was an advertisement for Cyclone Rakes. On one they were mowing grass and bagging with a Cyclone Rake. The grill looked completely covered just like mine, but the top flap was waving as though there was plenty of airflow, but then another mowing very tall grass they didn’t include an angle where I could see. Another was a zero turn and the top flap looked ridgid and there were more leaves left on the ground. Guess they aren’t looking with as keen an eye for problems as I was.

I’ll try the new grill to see if that helps. Then I’ll try a stiff deflector if needed. It’s interesting how much you can learn from pictures and videos. I’ll keep posting as I work through this issue, but don’t get me wrong, I love my Cyclone Rake and would never be without it. I just need to solve this to make it even more satisfactory!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I have had the same issue with screen clogging when doing fall leaf cleanup. I solved the problem by lowering the throttle thus reducing the speed as the leaves enter the bin. I have no lose of suction and no clogging.

·
Administrator
18,460 Posts
With the volume of air that the CR moves you can expect stuff to stick to the screen, especially if there is any dampness to the material. The newer plastic screen seems to be a bit bigger. But even so I still get some blockage, but never enough to stop the flap from fluttering from the exhaust. Every time I dump I use the brush for a quick clean and the small amount of time that it takes doesn't bother me.
As far as the inside deflector flap, believe the main purpose was so that heavy objects, nuts, small stone, aren't pelting the rear flap and puncturing them. (could happen over time) I've been using mine over 10 years, and all of the hickory and chestnuts have completely obliterated my deflector. Just some ragged pieces hanging down. Oh well!
MikeC

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Has anyone else seen there is a Spring top screen and a Fall top screen for the Cyclone Rake? Anyone try both? How can I tell which I am using or have been using? Never realized there’s a difference before.

Edit: I sent an email to Cyclone Rake and asked for clarification on the Spring (03-01-552)/Fall (03-01-553) 23” wide screens listed in their parts list, both $40. I was told there is larger openings in the Spring screen (for grass clippings) than there is in the Fall screen (for leaves). No indication of hole sizes so I can tell what I have. Also no response as to how I should know it needs replaced. The 23” wide replacement I put on has fairly sharp edges inside/toward the bin. Either replacement screen is $40 each which includes the plastic screen sewn into the fabric with Velcro attachment and the flap on top that flaps in the breeze when running normal and stands fairly straight when nearing full and sags down when the screen is plugged or something else is blocking the airflow.

Then they included a suggestion that I perhaps might want a replacement bin which has a larger screen with larger openings that will work for either grass clippings or leaves. They’ve obviously seen before the issues I have and have made a change in the Fall of 2016. 🤔 The new bins/screens are not compatible with the old ones, so yes, I’d have to buy a new bin. No indication as to the cost, but in their parts 03-03-308 Commander Collector Bag is $241. I’m not sure if I would get the newer version with the screen or not.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up a few leaves with the grass clippings yesterday.

Today I added a deflector attached to the front of the new screen rather than buying a new “Neck Piece Vinyl Insert”.
Thought I’d contact them to see how to remove the old one and attach the new one. $12.50 isn’t bad, but I think my deflector will do the same thing using material I had. Can’t wait to try it. May get longer bolts and locknuts so they’ll stay tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts